Is Japan the last bastion for affordable enthusiast sports cars?

Has it been confirmed that the next WRX will have a 1.8L engine?

Got a link to that info?

I don't know where the other poster found his information but here's what i read concerning the engine range. Nothing confirmed in this article...

2021 is going to be a big year for guys that loved 90's Japanese sports cars.

New WRX/STI
New BRZ/GT86
New Nissan Z

All manual options, all driver's cars. Now all Mazda needs to do is put their 2.5 turbo in a Mazda 3 hatchback with AWD and manual, and bring back Mazdaspeed. Then there are talks of Honda adding AWD torque vectoring to the Type R, and Toyota adding manual to the Supra.

Germans pretty much just have the GTI/Golf R but those get pricey fast in comparison to Japan's offerings for a similar package. Audi, BMW, Mercedes... you pretty much can't even buy with a manual anymore. Porsche is way too expensive for daily driving.

There are talks that GM is going to discontinue the Camaro (which would be awful as the ZL1 especially is unreal value, but even the entry level one is great, not to mention if you get the SA). Corvette doesn't have a manual, it's up there in price and more for people that want a grand tourer and not a proper sports car. Ford discontinued their hot hatches, the Mustang is coming as an electric SUV.

Dodge has a solid offering in their Challenger and it comes with one of the best manual trannies around but you gotta pay big $$$ for a nice Challenger

Koreans have nothing but the Hyundai Veloster N, which is not really worth it when there are better alternatives. It's FWD only and has 3 doors.

The Japanese seem to dominate the category of affordable, well built, fun, fast, practical cars, that are backed by a great heritage.
you had me until you mentioned the useless and power sucking "AWD". No need for that in a sports car that's supposed to go fast....

you had me until you mentioned the useless and power sucking "AWD". No need for that in a sports car that's supposed to go fast....

Absolute nonsense. Have you ever driven a proper AWD vehicle? I'm not taking AWD like on a CRV.

R34 Skyline
Nissan GTR
Evo
STI S209
NSX
RS3
S4
911/GTS/Carrera
M5

Plenty of legendary sports cars that spread power across four wheels. AWD lets you shoot out of corners, is quicker of the line, and puts power down better in limited traction situations.

And the best part of something like a WRX/STI, is despite its sporty performance, you don't have to compromise. Can drive it in any condition. I drive mine in Winter during blizzards. Couldn't do that in a Corvette.

High performance driving doesn't just occur on a nice summer's day.

Absolute nonsense. Have you ever driven a proper AWD vehicle? I'm not taking AWD like on a CRV.

R34 Skyline
Nissan GTR
Evo
STI S209
NSX
RS3
S4
911/GTS/Carrera
M5

Plenty of legendary sports cars that spread power across four wheels. AWD lets you shoot out of corners, is quicker of the line, and puts power down better in limited traction situations.

And the best part of something like a WRX/STI, is despite its sporty performance, you don't have to compromise. Can drive it in any condition. I drive mine in Winter during blizzards. Couldn't do that in a Corvette.

High performance driving doesn't just occur on a nice summer's day.
Thank you. aWd CArS arE NOt goOd AHAHAHAAH

The AWD Tesla Model S Plaid ran Laguna Seca in 1:30.3. That's near McLaren Senna and Porsche 911 GT2 RS time.
A modified Model 3 Performance ran 1:36.55. Modified with streetable parts. Wait for an all out assault version...

Last edited:

Some say 1.8 for WRX, 2.4 for STI. Both FA platform based.

This article says both get 2.4 but I don't think Subaru has ever used the same engine in a WRX that is in an STI.

Unless the STI will have upgraded internals for more boost?

The Levorg has a 1.8 which is supposed to be a preview of the new WRX.

Sounds like the STI will be using something similar but not quite the same as the Ascent/Outback XT’s FB24DIT, probably a FA24DIT with single-scroll turbo and different intervals. Rumor has it Cobb massaged nearly 300hp at the crank with the FA24DIT with stock intake.

I hope Subaru keeps the stick standard and offers Toyota’s 8-speed automatic as an option. I can’t see a CVT handling massive power since people are going to flash tunes and upgrade turbo/intake/exhaust on a WRX/STI.

The AWD Tesla Model S Plaid ran Laguna Seca in 1:30.3. That's near McLaren Senna and Porsche 911 GT2 RS time.
A modified Model 3 Performance ran 1:36.55. Modified with streetable parts. Wait for an all out assault version...

An electric car is unbelievably boring and uninspiring to drive. I don't care about the acceleration, I don't care about the nannies available in it, an electric car will always take much less skill to drive than a mechanical one, and will never provide the same experience.

Furthermore, I don't know why you have to come into every topic and try to make it about Tesla. I get it, you have one, think it's the greatest thing ever, and that their stock is infinitely undervalued.

This topic is about affordable enthusiast sports cars and you're bringing up a modified Tesla Model S.

An electric car is unbelievably boring and uninspiring to drive. I don't care about the acceleration, I don't care about the nannies available in it, an electric car will always take much less skill to drive than a mechanical one, and will never provide the same experience.

Furthermore, I don't know why you have to come into every topic and try to make it about Tesla. I get it, you have one, think it's the greatest thing ever, and that their stock is infinitely undervalued.

This topic is about affordable enthusiast sports cars and you're bringing up a modified Tesla Model S.
I added this because of the list of cars in post 25 about AWD cars. AWD can offer huge advantages, as you posted.
The Performance Teslas are AWD; the Plaid certainly is.
Apologies about the Tesla comments if they offend you.
FYI, I like lots of cars; check my ownership list.
I took this thread about fun sports cars; personally I find the Model 3 far more fun (performance) than most other cars.
You do not; that's fine. But owners will disagree with you.

I added this because of the list of cars in post 25 about AWD cars. AWD can offer huge advantages, as you posted.
The Performance Teslas are AWD; the Plaid certainly is.
Apologies about the Tesla comments if they offend you.
FYI, I like lots of cars; check my ownership list.
I took this thread about fun sports cars; personally I find the Model 3 far more fun (performance) than most other cars.
You do not; that's fine. But owners will disagree with you.
Speaking of AWD,I’d love to find a mint 3000GT VR-4:D

Think it was 2005-2006 they both used the ej25 but the sti had different internals and a bigger turbo/intercooler.

Negatory, all USDM STIs use a EJ257 and the WRX of that year used a EJ205 then EJ255 before they switched the WRXs over to the FA.

Mazda already makes a sports car -- the MX-5. Your choice of soft or hard tops. Manual or automatic. It's not ultra quick, but doesn't have to be, and still be fun.

From a traditionalist, or purist point of view, it fits the definition of a sports car better than most of those mentioned. It's not a hot hatch. It's not a sporty coupe, as good as the players in those categories categories have become.

Heck, even the 911 has moved closer to being a GT than a sports car nowadays, unless one opts for the hardcore versions.

The Miata/MX-5 basically takes a true/traditional sportscar in the vein of an MG, Triumph, Healey, Fiat, etc(especially an MGB-I've heard tale that the designers had one sitting there and said "this is our target and make it sound the same too") but done a couple of key things. They've added a few creature comforts to make it more livable all-around, designed a functional top that doesn't double as a field sobriety test to put up or take down, and most importantly made it reliable.

IMO, the MX-5 is the purest sportscar in production now. It's not going to break any speed records, but you can't help but smile taking it out on a curvy road, where it's made to live.

Back