Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You know you're getting old when loud exhaust systems make you mad. LoL
Low restriction exhausts don't have to be loud, just properly designed. Bleep to the "increased power argument. The Howley lovers who dump their mufflers are simply stating that H&D can't design proper system.
Vehicle makers know what they're doing, especially when looking for a few more tenths of a mile per gallon. I've seen many "aftermarket" exhausts which didn't work as well as the stock system. Toyota doesn't use peashooters, for example.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Has the sound of loud pipes ever gotten your attention and made you turn and look for the source?

At home? Many times. On the road? Never.

LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Low restriction exhausts don't have to be loud, just properly designed. Bleep to the "increased power argument. The Howley lovers who dump their mufflers are simply stating that H&D can't design proper system.

Why would they bother? They know that 99% of the bikes will have aftermarket pipes before they are even registered.

Vehicle makers know what they're doing, especially when looking for a few more tenths of a mile per gallon. I've seen many "aftermarket" exhausts which didn't work as well as the stock system. Toyota doesn't use peashooters, for example.

You couldnt be more wrong, doesnt matter the motorcycle brand. But maybe you should rent a new Harley, take it out on the road for a week in super hot weather, or even an Indian or Victory.
Lets get real, its the OVER REACHING EPA which has worked its way into EVERY SINGLE Americans lives, completely unregulated and ungoverned. (that is about to change)
Their purpose is done but they have to keep on passing regulations or their jobs are at risk.
Bottom line is, the massive heat being produced by new motorcycles with super lean fuel mixtures and CATS installed right under your feet is the reason to swap exhausts.
Its doesnt matter to the EPA the risk to the rider, including if gas spills while you are fueling.

Anyway, forget the EPA, Harley knows how to build great bikes but like everything in our society, the American people have allowed the EPA to worm its way into every aspect of our lives at any cost. So these bikes need to be built around countless regulations right down to your boat, jetski or family lawnmower. Its an unregulated dictatorship operating like a government on our country. In fact we pay so much to the EPA its budget is larger then most countries. As the people wake up that will change.

Last edited:
Why would they bother? They know that 99% of the bikes will have aftermarket pipes before they are even registered.

The funniest thing about the whole loud pipes argument is that the minute everyone or even a majority of bikers have them then their usefulness as a warning is gone...

True... their wild oats have turned into prunes and oat meal...

Once more: I do not object that much to loud exhaust. I object to unmuffled open pipes at two in the morning!

Once more: I do not object that much to loud exhaust. I object to unmuffled open pipes at two in the morning!

Worst night evern in a motel was a 4 unmuffled Italian twins of various persuasions pull up in a motel car park at 11PM and "idle down" for 15 mins.

Copped a mouthful for asking them to be respectful of other partrons.

They then went to a bar, and came back yahooing and karate fighting at 1AM, then had to warm their bikes up at 5AM.

Then wonder why people take a dim view of them and their behaviour when passing on the wrong side at twice the limit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Worst night evern in a motel was a 4 unmuffled Italian twins of various persuasions pull up in a motel car park at 11PM

...and girls he is single...

585566-ellie-and-brooke-kelaart.jpg

Le-gemelle-De-Vivo.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
We could all dress in olive drab Michelin man protective suits with a red star on the back and ride electric scooters like the rest of our one billion plus comrades. You pesky individualists need to comply to our dear leaders requests and we'll all be better off. Flat black paint, straight pipes, non compliant accessories.....get back in line if you know whats good for you!

Ok, how's this: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with.

What's Winston cup?

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Worst night evern in a motel was a 4 unmuffled Italian twins of various persuasions pull up in a motel car park at 11PM

...and girls he is single...

You know they laugh at the old creepy guy who gets someone else to take photos of them at bike shows, and talks about his "Mr. Honda" between his legs.

You know, if you said this 9 pages ago, I think most people would have agreed. Bikes running open or nearly open pipes do discredit the bike community. Heck, same thing in the 60s and 70s with cars. No place for open pipes except a race track, no matter the vehicle.
In fact in regards to another post in here, if not done right, most will lose power, not gain power.

You know they laugh at the old creepy guy who gets someone else to take photos of them at bike shows, and talks about his "Mr. Honda" between his legs.

Kid... don't I know your Mom???

gallery_3131_5680_61840.jpg

^^^^^Now we know what Letterman has been up to since retiring. ^^^^^

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

You know, if you said this 9 pages ago, I think most people would have agreed. Bikes running open or nearly open pipes do discredit the bike community. Heck, same thing in the 60s and 70s with cars. No place for open pipes except a race track, no matter the vehicle.
In fact in regards to another post in here, if not done right, most will lose power, not gain power.

Said it on the first page, actually...post #3743577, 5/29, 5:33am, and again two posts later.

So they don't spend any R&D resources on the mufflers because "99%" will remove them? I wonder if Porsche does that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back