Is it me or do Hyundai and Kia cars seem to ALWAYS have both brake lights out?`

Every time I'm out driving, I see a Hyundai or Kia vehicle with BOTH brake lights out (if they have incandescent bulbs). It's every single time I'm out on the road... doesn't matter which model, as long as it has incandescent bulbs -- multiple vehicles a day. My 2002 Tahoe has the same bulbs in the brake lights as it did from the factory. A 2018 or whatever Kia... dead. I've even had three Hyundai/Kia rental cars with both brake lights out when I traveled for work (pre-COVID). Is it something about the owners? Or is this something going on with Kia/Hyundai cars? Maybe crappy bulbs? Questionable electrical? It's pretty dangerous. I almost rear-ended one on my motorcycle.

I was behind a Sportage the other night that had the left brake light out, third brake light on constantly and right brake light that appeared to be working correctly. That was a headscratcher.

Here it's almost always an old half-rusted American SUV or pickup that has all of it's brake lights out. On the flip side I've been noticing an increasing amount of new cars with their brake lights always on.

Every time I'm out driving, I see a Hyundai or Kia vehicle with BOTH brake lights out (if they have incandescent bulbs). It's every single time I'm out on the road... doesn't matter which model, as long as it has incandescent bulbs -- multiple vehicles a day. My 2002 Tahoe has the same bulbs in the brake lights as it did from the factory. A 2018 or whatever Kia... dead. I've even had three Hyundai/Kia rental cars with both brake lights out when I traveled for work (pre-COVID). Is it something about the owners? Or is this something going on with Kia/Hyundai cars? Maybe crappy bulbs? Questionable electrical? It's pretty dangerous. I almost rear-ended one on my motorcycle.

We've had nothing but trouble with the brake light switches on these. Recalls on recalls...

I haven't noticed that, but I'm going to pay more attention to them now haha. I feel like I see a lot of domestic trucks and/or suv's with certain lights out in the front, I think the daytime running lights.

We've owned 6 since 2009 and have only had to replace one brake bulb. That was at ~230k miles in the wife's Santa Fe Sport. Nor has there ever been condensation buildup in any of the fixtures. I really can't say I've noticed it in any Make.

In the 10 H/K vehicles I have owned/serviced over the past 15 years, I have never had to change a brake light bulb or mess with a brake light switch.

I have seen a bunch of different vehicles with 2-3 brake lights out, but none are brand specific.

Only brand specific issue I see is GM vehicles with 1 headlight out (especially trucks and SUV's).

"Perhaps more important, research demonstrates that many people fall prey to a phenomenon that University of Wisconsin–Madison psychologists Loren and Jean Chapman termed “illusory correlation”—the perception of an association that does not in fact exist. For example, many people who have joint pain insist that their pain increases during rainy weather, although research disconfirms this assertion. Much like the watery mirages we observe on freeways during hot summer days, illusory correlations can fool us into perceiving phenomena in their absence.

Illusory correlations result in part from our mind’s propensity to attend to—and recall—most events better than nonevents. When there is a full moon and something decidedly odd happens, we usually notice it, tell others about it and remember it. We do so because such co-occurrences fit with our preconceptions. Indeed, one study showed that psychiatric nurses who believed in the lunar effect wrote more notes about patients’ peculiar behavior than did nurses who did not believe in this effect. In contrast, when there is a full moon and nothing odd happens, this nonevent quickly fades from our memory. As a result of our selective recall, we erroneously perceive an association between full moons and myriad bizarre events."

"Perhaps more important, research demonstrates that many people fall prey to a phenomenon that University of Wisconsin–Madison psychologists Loren and Jean Chapman termed “illusory correlation”—the perception of an association that does not in fact exist. For example, many people who have joint pain insist that their pain increases during rainy weather, although research disconfirms this assertion. Much like the watery mirages we observe on freeways during hot summer days, illusory correlations can fool us into perceiving phenomena in their absence.

Illusory correlations result in part from our mind’s propensity to attend to—and recall—most events better than nonevents. When there is a full moon and something decidedly odd happens, we usually notice it, tell others about it and remember it. We do so because such co-occurrences fit with our preconceptions. Indeed, one study showed that psychiatric nurses who believed in the lunar effect wrote more notes about patients’ peculiar behavior than did nurses who did not believe in this effect. In contrast, when there is a full moon and nothing odd happens, this nonevent quickly fades from our memory. As a result of our selective recall, we erroneously perceive an association between full moons and myriad bizarre events."

Thscienths.

I hadn't noticed it being restricted to only one brand. Now if you want to talk about the brain-dead who drive around after dark with no lights on...those I've noted tend to cluster in certain brands... :D

For the record, the lights on my Sonata all work. The only brake light that's been replaced so far was the third light. And I believe my car was fixed under one of the brake light switch recalls.

What I seem to notice is a lot of cars with no taillights on at all at night. Not sure if they don't have their headlights on, but the only thing on the rear is a reflection.

Back