Is it confirmed if Chevron Supreme gas has more Techron additive?

Hey all I pulled over at a Chevron and don’t really pay attention to premium gas prices and I noticed it was only 10 cents more a gallon for 93 octane. At 10 cents more I ofc pulled the trigger but it got me thinking, does Chevron supreme gas have it advertised or known that it contains more techron then there other grades or is it all assumptions?

I tried to google it but couldn’t find it. For example She’ll V power always states it’s 7 x more then EPA minimum etc etc

Thanks

I don’t *think* they add more per grade, but at that small a difference in price I would do the 93.

BUT: not all “top tier” is actually PEA additive. The nice thing about Chevron is you know you are getting PEA and it is super IME. Chevron is the only premium brand I will pony up for because of that.

Last edited:
My old 2.5L V6 Jaguar w/5 speed manual trans is exceptionally sensitive to fuel quality, mostly octane. The number of knock events/timing pull is directly related to fuel quality. When I purchase, oh, 93 Exxon in Newburgh, NY, I get 15 miles down the road and the fuel gauge is on 3/4 already. By 50 miles, it's at 1/2 tank! Timing is pulled like crazy. Clearly (at times) the NY/NJ fuel is not 93 at Exxon, Gulf or Mobil.

Chevron nearby in Beacon, NY provides nominal results. Just like any other station anywhere in the country I tend to drive. About 330 miles per tank. So whether they add anything, or not, I can't tell.

In a different, high boost, turbocharged car, in the distant past, Chevron 93 would provide the best results. By a lot. Those days are long over. And I can't tell any difference with regard to timing pulls or knock events on Chevron or Texaco fuels.

However, there is one brand that does make a difference. The 2.5L engine does best on Shell fuels. Their additive package results in more ign timing and higher miles per tank. Generally about 400 miles per tank.

Also of note, 90 octane zero ethanol fuel does not provide the same MPG as the Shell fuels.

Someone posted a table here for Techron where they were supposed to add bulk Techron bottles at the fuel depot if bulk Techron was unavailable for automated dispensing.

I seem to recall one bottle treated up to 400 gallons for their Supreme and 500 gallons for other grades, so obviously it was possible to be a higher concentration if hand treated depending on the load. But at the fuel depot it would normally be carefully dispensed using the automated dispensing equipment.

OK - found it. The poster claimed that it came directly from Kinder Morgan. It looks to create a minimum concentration meeting Chevron's requirements, but could be higher. But again - I'd assume that the equivalent of one bottle per 550 gallons would be the treat rate at the fuel depot for regular/mid and one per 450 gallons for premium (aka Supreme).

full-86186-43957-202004272255050000.jpg

Last edited:
Back