Is Havoline Synthetic from Big Lots Group III oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Havoline Synthetic from Big Lots a Group III oil?

I just bought a bunch of the synthetic Havoline from Big Lots and I want to start using AutoRX which calls for dino oil or a Group III synthetic.

Quote:

It will also be a Group III when you buy it from other stores.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I too loaded up on the 5W20 Synthetic Oil at Big Lots on Sale.

Even though it is type III, it will serve me for the next several oil changes in our vehicles.

Have been running MotorCraft Semi Synthetic 5W20 and will use it again when the Havoline 5W20 is gone unless I run across another sale?

most of the HALVOLINE motor oils I've seen at BIG LOTS are old , some even back to 2003 ( possibly even older , short term memory
grin.gif
) , so you may wanna check those dates on the back of the bottles .

The Havoline jugs I got at BL were API SM rated from 2006. If some are from 2003, they would probably be SL rated, but that wouldn't bother me if I would be using them up in a year or two.

Quote:

but that wouldn't bother me if I would be using them up in a year or two.

Good to see you've figured a way to offset the normal temporal flux variant here. In temporal mechanics ..some have a hard time realizing that the effect may lead the cause by a good bit. By using it "in the future" ..you may compensate for it in the past. You may have bought SL ..but it may end up being SM.

Quote:

Good to see you've figured a way to offset the normal temporal flux variant here. In temporal mechanics ..some have a hard time realizing that the effect may lead the cause by a good bit. By using it "in the future" ..you may compensate for it in the past. You may have bought SL ..but it may end up being SM.

I guess I would have understood that...back about 1972
confused.gif

Quote:

the 10-30 synthetic i picked up is SM with an 08/26/2007 date

OhMy #%^$! He is from the future!
crazy.gif

The Havoline Synthetic at my Big Lots is SM. They do have some SL GF-4 conventional in 5 Qt jugs(which is most likely actually SM spec produced before SM became a "Legal" Rating). Hmmmm.... 5 Qt Jugs? Guess we know who Big Lots bought that overstock from.

I started buying the Havoline synthetic three weeks ago when I was in one with my wife and I noticed they had the full synthetic Havoline for 2.30qt. They had priced it mistakenly the same as the Havoline blend next to it. I got it at that store for 2.30qt. and kept my receipt.
To make a long story short, we just took a trip to Fla. and there are alot of BigLots between my home in N.C. and Fla. I brought home 237qts of Havoline full synthetic for 2.30qt. I've got 5W20,5W30,5W40 on hand. The other stores had it priced at 3.00qt but were more than happy to meet the other BL's price of 2.30qt. Some would have 20-30qts and some would have none. I left oil on the shelf in Fla.,Ga., and S.C.. All of the 5W20 and 5W30 was SM rated and made in 06.
Thats not a bad price considering your average group 3 synthetic such as PP is selling for almost $6qt unless you catch a sale on it. I can't buy bulk dino oil for my shop for much less than that and Havoline was a good synthetic oil. The manager of one BL said that the stock on the shelf was all that was left and they would get no more so if you see it and want it go for it.

I also have a very understanding wife...
thumbsup.gif

JustinH - One of the Big Lots locations in Grand Rapids had that too, but I went to the 2nd Big Lots in Grand Rapids and they had all sorts of Dino, Syn Blend and Synthetic, so I scooped up on 16 quarts of it. Do you have any other Big Lots near you?

I'd like more of the 5w-20. Suprised to see there is still ANY HS on the shelves. I have some 5w-40 I'd trade for 5w-20. (VW 502)

I'd like to have more of the 5W40 as I have tons of the 5W20. Anyone can go to BigLots website and it will show you every store in the U.S. as well as directions to the stores from your home. Thats how I went strait to them while on vacation. I also learned that it was a waste of time to call them to see if they have any in stock. I called one and the person put the phone down for 1 minute and then said they didn't have any. I picked up 32qts at that store becouse it was displayed on an end shelf not in the auto section. I'm willing to buy it for 3.00 bucks a qt all day long. I used to run it in a supercharged Tacoma and it turned in great 6K intervals and could have went longer.
I bought an older Volvo(240)that the 5W40 would work well in or I can sell it to some of my customers that like Havoline products.
As a side note,many of them had Quaker State synthetic blend in 5qt jugs for $10. Thats also a blend at cheap dino prices. I got three of them and saw tons of it. They also have SLOB for $1.00 a bottle.
As high as gas is I guess it would not be worth travelling alot to find these oils but if you are already going to be doing some driving it would pay to find the stores close by and check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back