Is factory fill Toyota oil different?

Young ? Not hardly ..;) Can you give me some examples of manuals that specify early OC's ?
Sure, just one example but I have seen many. This one is for a Honda bike which makes no difference, it is still a water cooled inline 4.
First oci 1000km or 600 miles then every 8000 miles thereafter.

cbr 1000 oci.jpg

Same with BMW ~40 years ago (motor, trans, diff), even much later for M cars
(2000s at least). Not sure on Porsche, VW, MB. Should have been similar.

I still change all my oil early on new cars, say at ~1000 mls, then at ~3000 mls
including transmission. Whatever you think about the usefulness of UOAs, they
clearly prove the elevated appearance of wear metals such as Cu, Al, Fe and Cr
during break-in. Automotive manufacturing has come a long way but it still isn't
as clean as a NASA lab.

Last edited:
Yep . I've never seen a manual that recommended an early OC . And I have owned a fair number of new vehicles . NEVER changed early and never had an issue .
Only manuals I've seen in the last 45 years that call out an early oil change is for motorcycles. Never ever seen any car or truck manual that calls out an early oil change. Doesn't meant there might be a few, but it's obviously not a common standard

An early oil change will have benefit for your mind and no benefit for your engine. I’m in my 60’s and no car I’ve ever owned required an early oil change when new. My last new car required 10,000 mile oil changes and that’s exactly what I did including the first one. At 217,000 miles it was totaled. The engine was clean as a pin inside and not consuming any oil. Never used TGMO.

An early oil change will have benefit for your mind and no benefit for your engine. I’m in my 60’s and no car I’ve ever owned required an early oil change when new. My last new car required 10,000 mile oil changes and that’s exactly what I did including the first one. At 217,000 miles it was totaled. The engine was clean as a pin inside and not consuming any oil. Never used TGMO.
Amen , brother .

I cant say about today but up to just a couple of years ago most cars sold in Germany did require the first oil change at 1K km, or 600 mi.
The 1K km inspection is accepted and generally followed, if not and you don't have the dealer stamp there goes the warranty.

My 22 rav maintenance book actually states 1st oil change at 10k or 12months.

Toyota does recommend a 6month or 5k service and the oil to be change if the following *operated in dusty environment and frequent short trips.

I'll definitely be performing the 6month Oil change. Then 10k once a yr

Yep . I've never seen a manual that recommended an early OC . And I have owned a fair number of new vehicles . NEVER changed early and never had an issue .
Subaru first OCI used to be early - if 3k mi is early.
it was a 1/2 interval; back in the days of 5W30 - 20W50

Last edited:
No, no & no. ... theres no real break in periods machining is better parts are more precise we've come a long way. ....
Machining is faster and automated, not more precise or better. Watch some 90 year old FORD engine plant videos.

There IS still wear in. Plasma moly rings and moly coated piston skirts aid wear in and reduce high load friction.

Last edited:
So post the advantage? Maybe you should change it every 1500 miles for the life of the car?
My New Mazda am I going to change it early? If you call next October early. I don't like doing OCI in the rain or snow I don't have a garage.
Demonstrate your belief is correct.

If I ever bought a new vehicle (which I won't), I would also do the first oil change early around 1000-1500 miles. Doing it myself costs $35 and about 20 minutes... not much to lose! And it removes most of the silicone, assembly lube and machining/wear metals from the engine.

Back