Is factory fill Toyota oil different?

Machining is faster and automated, not more precise or better. Watch some 90 year old FORD engine plant videos.

There IS still wear in. Plasma moly rings and moly coated piston skirts aid wear in and reduce high load friction.
Despite say recent Hyundai Kia fuel dilution and this start stop technology engines are easily clocking 200k no major work needed. Auto manufacturers are setting themselves backwards with technology

Correct LOL if I do it its correct for me! YMMV!

That's the insanity of the matter. I'm a change early, you aren't. And we have no clear, substantive answer. It would be nice to have a clear, scientifically substantiated answer. Until then, we keep the internets going.

That's the insanity of the matter. I'm a change early, you aren't. And we have no clear, substantive answer. It would be nice to have a clear, scientifically substantiated answer. Until then, we keep the internets going.
Really my owners manual says nothing about early change on break in? So why should I other than not changing it in the rain or snow??

Your 2022 likely uses a paper cartridge filter. I’ve found that the factory Toyota paper cartridge is well made, and holds up well during the OCI. They‘re not expensive and the Toyota parts counter folks throw in a drain plug gasket for free.
The A25A doesn't use a cartridge filter. It's a regular spin-on filter.

Really my owners manual says nothing about early change on break in? So why should I other than not changing it in the rain or snow??

God Bless Ya! My answer would produce the same amount of noise your question does. Good talk.

In the past with new engines the focus was setting the piston rings. Special break in oil was used to work the face of the rings and the piston ring groove. It was for no other purpose to change the oil after 600 miles but to get rid of the break in oil. Modern engines have mastered the new piston rings that they do not need to be set with break in oil. Old habits are hard to change and given to the imagination with a new engine…

Kept my 17 Corolla's factory fill in for about 9,500 miles. Every change after has been 6-8 months and 7500-9k miles. At 75k no oil consumption, oil stays nice and golden for at least 5k before getting more amber, etc. Do what makes you sleep better. But I doubt it'll matter much with today's machining.

Edit: the maintenance manual also didn't recommend an early change for my car. Otherwise I would have done it early.
In regards to "But I doubt it'll matter much with today's machining."

Hyundai: "Hold my beer fellas."

I'd change it out at 1000 miles and depending on my driving every 3 or 5K after that. Well, if I were going the 5K route, I'd change
it again at 5K to make it easier to keep up with. 5, 10, 15, 20, etc.

If you read that info carefully, the "early" oil change at 3000 miles is engine model specific. Is Subaru still doing this today?

That first oil change is early relative to the schedule, but not "early" like 600 to 1000 miles.
I hit you with the data and you STILL try to weasel out of the challenge :) j/k

The early change was on a chain flat six engine. The other PC engines prior to 2011 were dry belt engines with NO tappets and sporting roller rockers and NO hydraulic lifters and NO VVti (AVCS in Subaru) but the EJ253 did have a "Honda like" VTEC (AVLS in Subaru speak) super short stroke (1.55" crank throw) and floating wrist pins.

The Classic subie engine that was "Easy on the Oil" as anything

- Ken

Motorcycle example. Who's got a car or truck example in the last 40 years?

Bike makes sense with mixed engine trans lube.

Haven't seen a car early change example either...not anything in the US.

If Trav says he's seen it on the German cars I believe him though...

Last edited:
Page 8. 1200 miles: "Change Oil and Filter"
2020 BMW All Models
I have a BMW 325IX purchased new and it had some extreme service requirements that had to be done by dealer to reset the maintenance lights to keep the warranty. Very costly…

Here is my 2019 Mazda Miata Operator’s Manual.

Also the service schedule here… Notice the differential fluid change recommendations.

(Change differential fluid if diff. is submerged)

Personally will never purchase a European car again.

Last edited:
In regards to "But I doubt it'll matter much with today's machining."

Hyundai: "Hold my beer fellas."
True, but haven't heard news of many (if any) Toyota engines with chunks of metal falling apart inside and grenading an engine. Plus, you could change the oil every 50 miles in those defective Hyundai engines and I'm guessing it wouldn't keep it on the road much longer.

Back