Is factory fill Toyota oil different?

Have a 2022 Rav4 hybrid. Looking to do the first oil change early around 1500 miles. Is the factory fill oil “special”?

Also, what advantages are there in using TGMO? I’ve heard it’s high in moly, not sure if that matters.

Have a 2022 Rav4 hybrid. Looking to do the first oil change early around 1500 miles. Is the factory fill oil “special”?

Also, what advantages are there in using TGMO? I’ve heard it’s high in moly, not sure if that matters.
No, no & no. Toyota however recommends the 1st service at 5k or 6 months.. theres no real break in periods machining is better parts are more precise we've come a long way. If anything extra to be found In dumped factory fill would be whatever assembly lube that didn't burn up with the 1st start.

No, no & no. Toyota however recommends the 1st service at 5k or 6 months.. theres no real break in periods machining is better parts are more precise we've come a long way. If anything extra to be found In dumped factory fill would be whatever assembly lube that didn't burn up with the 1st start.
So sounds like no disadvantage to changing around 1500 miles.

Kept my 17 Corolla's factory fill in for about 9,500 miles. Every change after has been 6-8 months and 7500-9k miles. At 75k no oil consumption, oil stays nice and golden for at least 5k before getting more amber, etc. Do what makes you sleep better. But I doubt it'll matter much with today's machining.

Edit: the maintenance manual also didn't recommend an early change for my car. Otherwise I would have done it early.

Edit: the maintenance manual also didn't recommend an early change for my car. Otherwise I would have done it early.
Yep . I've never seen a manual that recommended an early OC . And I have owned a fair number of new vehicles . NEVER changed early and never had an issue .

I'm not a big fan of Toyota filters. The O-Ring seal bottoms out on the filter metal itself. And they can be tough to remove because of that. I never had an issue with the standard flat rubber gasket that every other filter manufacturer uses. Toyota has to be different.

Toyota oil filters give no better results than any of the other leading brands.

Your 2022 likely uses a paper cartridge filter. I’ve found that the factory Toyota paper cartridge is well made, and holds up well during the OCI. They‘re not expensive and the Toyota parts counter folks throw in a drain plug gasket for free.

Your 2022 likely uses a paper cartridge filter. I’ve found that the factory Toyota paper cartridge is well made, and holds up well during the OCI. They‘re not expensive and the Toyota parts counter folks throw in a drain plug gasket for free.

If this is the case the other thread is off the mark. The OP should verify this.

I have the exact same power plant in the Sienna and here is what I do…

1) I run the intended interval from day one. I did the first change a little earlier, around 3.5K, only due to going on an extended trip. Didn’t want to have to worry about it while traveling.

2) I’ve run TGMO, Valvoline, and Pennzoil. All 0w16. The only noticeable difference has been the price. I go with what is cheapest or convenient at the time.

35,000 miles in 1.5yrs and so far so good. Side note: I am thinking about getting a UOA done around 40K just to get more data out there on 0w16 oil in hybrid A25A platform.

Back