Is Facebook Marketplace the new Craigslist?

Are you saying I could get a FB account and just not use any of the “social” part of it?
Yes, you can. I see a lot of comments from people who don't seem to have any actual knowledge of FB or they seem to think they're too "good" for social media yet here they are on BITOG, another social media website.... 🤔

I bought some firewood from a guy on Facebook Marketplace, turns out we both knew some of the same people.

I bought a used mower off of a guy in FB marketplace and it turned out he used to teach in the same school I did. Small world.

I have sold many items on FB marketplace and it work's great. The key is to price it low and get rid of it. I sold my mom's 99 Buick LeSabre in one day.

Create a FB account, upload a "profile" picture (like our avatar images here) and a "cover" photo. You can make them as anonymous as you like or it can be something innocuous. Don't add any friends or if you do, be very selective in who you connect to. Then go here, https://www.facebook.com/privacy/checkup/?source=settings_and_privacy, and click through the boxes. You can change what is seen to "Only me" or "Friends only" or "public" and so on. YOU choose who can see what. You can also control who can add you as a friend. Again, YOU choose and control this stuff. When you see comments from others complaining, in almost all cases it's basically their own fault.... 🤷‍♂️ (lack of knowledge, etc)

In 1995-97 I sold quite a few cars and just an advertisement in the newspaper cost about $75.00 for 1 week and you only got about 20 words and a phone number. I am very happy those days are long gone.

Where have you been....hhahahaha....yes, for the last forever years! FB Marketplace basically took over for Craigslist.

Just get a Facebook account and only use it for Marketplace. You don't have to follow any pages or add friends.

The only thing is, people are kinda flaky. I sold some new Ryobi 18V batteries a couple months ago. Lots of people message asking if it's still available, then I reply yes, and they never message back. Or promise to show up and never do. But overall it's fine.

I have a family member who uses it a ton. She buys and sells furniture and all kinds of stuff. She has a camera on her porch and tells people to come by and look at the chair or whatever it is, if they like it they can put the money under the mat and show it to the camera on the porch. No human interaction.

I have a family member who uses it a ton. She buys and sells furniture and all kinds of stuff. She has a camera on her porch and tells people to come by and look at the chair or whatever it is, if they like it they can put the money under the mat and show it to the camera on the porch. No human interaction.
I had a picnic table in my front yard that I did the same thing with! I'd put the object out there, if they bought it, they'd put the money in a mason jar (with rock for weight) underneath. Called it my "money table."

Better than just taking that surplus stuff to the dump!

In other news, when I tried to show her a pickup truck that peaked my interest, she noticed that it was 2WD. “A two wheel drive truck is just a car with a bed.”

Women…

I would never own a 4wd or AWD, driven RWD in snow country since I started driving.

Cheaper
Easier to fix
Fewer parts to break
No tire size restrictions
Usually lighter with better payload
Better mpgs
Easier to swap rear gears or a manual transmission

Just better vehicles all around.

I use both about equally. Never bought anything off marketplace though except two things. I’ve bought many of things off Craigslist. One thing I hate about marketplace is they don’t allow the sale of license plates so that’s kind of lame and gives me an excuse to use Craigslist more lol. I hate meeting people in person to do deals though I’d prefer just buying and having it shipped.

I would never own a 4wd or AWD, driven RWD in snow country since I started driving.
I'm undecided. I'd try again (had a mini-pickup as a kid, drove that with all seasons no less--was way younger back then). But my Tundra was awful in the snow, in RWD. In 4WD it was much much better. Horrific throttle-tip in and no clutch, snow tires helped a great deal, but ultimately any sort of incline meant I was better off in 4WD. I suspect in that truck I still would not have been able to feather a clutch enough, just a guess, but after driving FWD's only for years, RWD was a handful.

But I hear you on the other details. I still have a place in my heart for a Chevy RCSB. A 2WD should be lower to the ground, too. Don't like the highway gearing? one ring and pinion costs less than two. Need a trans rebuild? few less pieces in the way.

The FB app (and apps for other media companies FB owns such as Instagram and Whatsapp) are what have the big tracking tentacles. So people may want to avoid the app and just use the browser version of the site including on their phone. And turn off third-party cookies in your browser. Or better yet, dedicate an old, extra phone you have just for FB use.

Last I checked, the app kind of sucks anyway. And lots of the "is this still available" messages would come from it being easy to accidentally press that auto message button while scrolling. The main negative about using a browser is the app is the only way to leave buyer/seller ratings.

CL isn't dead yet. I sold some things recently on Craigslist that I thought had no chance on there. But that's where I either got the only interest in the items or got the price I wanted for the items while people on FB either weren't interested or asked me if I would take 50% less. Lots of lowballers on FB, and half of them get angry if you ignore their message or politely decline their lowball.

You don't have to use anything on FB except the Marketplace, though people may be more careful about you and your items if you have no friends or posts. Though when I see what some people post it makes me want to stay far away from them. hahaha. You can tell dealing with them probably won't be smooth sailing.

Be careful if you social post on FB. If you have certain opinions, your account may get banned. It doesn't take much nowadays.

I think it still works this way. Pretty sure it does. That on FB (if using the app) you can leave a positive or negative mark for a person from any conversation with them in the chat window. (don't have to have bought or sold an item from the person.)

So if someone sends me a chat message offering me $10 on a $100 item I have for sale, polite me says I will reply to them and politely decline their offer. But if they get angry at my declining their offer, and if they are using the app, they can leave a "frown face" or whatever FB calls it on a "only FB sees it" part of my account.

But if I don't reply to the person at all, they are not able to leave me a negative on my hidden profile. So what's a person to do.

This hidden positive/negative rating is different from the normal 1-5 star rating you see on a person's buy/sell profile (which is only public after they have 5 ratings).

Also, it's hard (impossible now?) to disable the box on the chat window that shows the last message has been read. If you get a message and then click on the chat window to read it but don't reply, the other person sees that you read their message. So if they sent a lowball message and you read it but don't reply, they might get angry at you for not replying.

Back