Is any one familiar with calif gun laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
.......... Be especially careful around Game Wardens. They have rights to search that other CA LE's don't.

Game wardens have entirely too much power. It's to the point of ridiculousness for what their job is.

I'd think county outside of city limits may be fine if no close neighbors, not a lot of close passing vehicles.
But if close neighbors you don't know well enough/trust I'd keep it concealed and not print.
Walk off property best to have CCW permit.
Best to call local authority if you must - best not to find out the hard way.

I talked to a Sheriff. I can NOT legally carry outside of my house on my own property! Unless the gun is a rifle or shotgun...Yep this state is stupid but we already knew that.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I talked to a Sheriff. I can NOT legally carry outside of my house on my own property! Unless the gun is a rifle or shotgun...Yep this state is stupid but we already knew that.
I'd research your local and state laws personally, specifically your county law. According to CA state law(Cal. Penal Code §12020), it seems you can carry on private, non-public accommodation property. LEOs don't know every single statute, nor are they lawyers. If possible, talk to a lawyer who is familiar with CA firearm law.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I'd research your local and state laws personally, specifically your county law. According to CA state law(Cal. Penal Code §12020), it seems you can carry on private, non-public accommodation property. LEOs don't know every single statute, nor are they lawyers. If possible, talk to a lawyer who is familiar with CA firearm law.
+1 Your local Sheriff can very well be wrong. I had the local PD write me a huge ticket years ago that was all equipment violations. I told him that he was wrong and he kept writing. I beat every last violation in court. The judge wasn't very happy with him.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
+1 Your local Sheriff can very well be wrong.

And even if he is, he can make your life a living he!! until you prove otherwise. And that could take time and cost you money. Not to mention he can confiscate your weapon. And if and when you get it back, I can guarantee you it won't be in the same condition it was when he took it. (Scratches, not to mention pencil engraved numbers, etc.)

It ain't worth it.

You wanna carry, get a concealed carry permit, and carry at your hearts desire
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: totegoat
.......... Be especially careful around Game Wardens. They have rights to search that other CA LE's don't.

Game wardens have entirely too much power. It's to the point of ridiculousness for what their job is.

They fly drones offshore to catch people keeping one grouper too many here in FL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit
They fly drones offshore to catch people keeping one grouper too many here in FL.

It is becoming much like a runaway train with these game wardens. I can see stiff fines for going over the limit with fish. Or fishing and hunting out of season, or without a valid license. But taking guns, expensive fishing gear, boats, and vehicles is insane.

I would ask the man, Sheriff John McMahon. He may live right there in AV. Some Deputies make up laws to suit themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It ain't worth it.

smile.gif

3 year wait.

In Santa Barbara County you either need to be besties with the Sheriff or give a very sizable donation to the Sheriff's Council. The Sheriff is our official county representative with final sign off on any applicant.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It ain't worth it.

smile.gif

3 year wait.

In Santa Barbara County you either need to be besties with the Sheriff or give a very sizable donation to the Sheriff's Council.
The Sheriff is our official county representative with final sign off on any applicant.

Still more reasons to leave that God forsaken state.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Itonlysmokesalit

It is becoming much like a runaway train with these game wardens. I can see stiff fines for going over the limit with fish. Or fishing and hunting out of season, or without a valid license. But taking guns, expensive fishing gear, boats, and vehicles is insane.

They have a real purpose, but it has gotten out of hand. The drone thing really bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back