Is all name brand oil that meets specs the same?

Saying that if two different oils meet the same specs and certifications then they will perform exactly the same with the same results is like saying that if car A gets the same NHTSA or IIHS crash ratings as car B then both will perform the same in a crash. The differences might not be huge but there will be differences. I think it comes down to whether someone feels comfortable with using any oil that meets the minimum specs or if they want to use the very best oil they can easily obtain that might surpass the minimum standards.

I am sure there are differences since specs are a min requirement, and some exceed specs while others barely meet them.
The problem is that people use their feelings or anecdotal evidence to suggest that one is better than another. Nobody is going to be able to get to the bottom of it

Saying that if two different oils meet the same specs and certifications then they will perform exactly the same with the same results is like saying that if car A gets the same NHTSA or IIHS crash ratings as car B then both will perform the same in a crash. The differences might not be huge but there will be differences. I think it comes down to whether someone feels comfortable with using any oil that meets the minimum specs or if they want to use the very best oil they can easily obtain that might surpass the minimum standards.
Okay well how do I know which one is the best oil and which ones surpass the requirements?

Somewhat of a sweeping set of generalizations.

Do they volatize quickly only in your engines or is this true across all engine makes and types?
My experience with Pennzoil has been the same. I have to add more frequently throughout the 5000 mile OCI with Pennzoil Platinum than I do with Castrol Edge. Perhaps it is the Natural Gas base oil vs the more traditional base oil that leads to this happening?

The biggest dilemma. Should I change oil every 10k and run mobil1 EP or other premium oil, or buy kirkland for half price and change it every 5k.
Would 5k oci cheaper oil do better than premium for double OCI?
Something tells me shorter OCI is better

The biggest dilemma. Should I change oil every 10k and run mobil1 EP or other premium oil, or buy kirkland for half price and change it every 5k.
All relative talks. Some people swap cars in 1 year and 4 months and some keep their vehicles for 20 years. Folks (A) can probably use olive oil in the crank case (provided it's API SP olive oil) then shortly it becomes someone's else problem when they sell. Folks B need to keep using best products and best practices to keep their vehicles as long as possible.

All relative talks. Some people swap cars in 1 year and 4 months and some keep their vehicles for 20 years. Folks (A) can probably use olive oil in the crank case (provided it's API SP olive oil) then shortly it becomes someone's else problem when they sell. Folks B need to keep using best products and best practices to keep their vehicles as long as possible.

But what determines what is best?

Based on facts from PDS's and UOA's we know they're different, but no one is able to answer, is one better than the other? Like viscosity!

Some people tend to focus on certain ingredients like moly, etc that they like and look for oils with lots of those ingredients. For the most part though they couldn't tell you with any legitimacy exactly if and how those ingredients actually make the oil protect or lubricate better.

Then there's how an engine runs with different oils. One engine may be quieter with one oil over another, or get better mpg.

Even then some argue noise and/or mpg are not necessarily indicators of an oil's quality.

I like 5K OCIs regardless. The Kirkland swill is good stuff. Spend more if it makes you happy. Nuthin' wrong with that.

And how might the equation change for you if you could get M1 EP for less than the price of Kirkland, such as buying the Mobil using a rebate?

And how might the equation change for you if you could get M1 EP for less than the price of Kirkland, such as buying the Mobil using a rebate?
Rebate is one time per year, I cant always count on it to be there. But yeah, if it has a rebate, its great.

Based on facts from PDS's and UOA's we know they're different, but no one is able to answer, is one better than the other? Like viscosity!

Some people tend to focus on certain ingredients like moly, etc that they like and look for oils with lots of those ingredients. For the most part though they couldn't tell you with any legitimacy exactly if and how those ingredients actually make the oil protect or lubricate better.

Then there's how an engine runs with different oils. One engine may be quieter with one oil over another, or get better mpg.

Even then some argue noise and/or mpg are not necessarily indicators of an oil's quality.

OP: Is all name brand oil that meets specs the same?​

If you are asking if certain name brand oils would, say for example meet the Dexos spec, then all of those oils should meet that same Dexos spec.

If you are asking if name brand oils that meet the same specs have the same exact formulation (same chemistry), then the answer is no.

A formulator can theoretically meet a specification with an infinite number of various chemistries.

In real life, a formulator can 1) use a formulated DI (additive package) from a limited number of possible DI suppliers, or 2) he can mix his own DI package and have it tested to meet potential specifications, or 3) use a combination of 1) and 2).

Last edited:
I don't think any of those analyses from 2013 have any bearing any longer, they no longer make Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum was changed to using GTL "PurePlus" around 2014.

All meet spec, some more than the other, and some people are more sensitive to the way their engines response and some use them beyond the factory OCI.

If you are just going to use factory OCI and commute they all works, some may be quieter than the others and that's about it.

Back