is all diesel fuel now b5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones prior B5 were before (B4)
banana2.gif

I drive a MB with OM648 motor & they recommend no more then 5% bio. I fill up at Walmart with high turnover the Label say MAY be 5% bio. Never have had any issue with it yet.

I don't know if I have yet seen a diesel pump around Atlanta that does not have the B5 sticker on it. Seeing that lubricity is quite a bit better with B5 vs B0 I think I may stop spending the coin on DieselKleen Silver, might still run it through here and there for cleaning but for lubricity seems like it may be overkill.

Like Mercedes - VW/Audi does not approve blends above B5. Not sure if they know something us consumers normally would not or if they are just concerned with quality control of the bio portion of the blend. Who knows.

The only place that Ive seen it mentioned was Sunoco, B5. Ill check next time I fill, theres a newer sunoco station that is actually pretty competitive with the no names around here, 2.99 vs 3.07

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pezzy669

Like Mercedes - VW/Audi does not approve blends above B5. Not sure if they know something us consumers normally would not or if they are just concerned with quality control of the bio portion of the blend. Who knows.

B5 for gas and B7 for diesel over here in Slovenia.....and all german cars are still running....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N

B5 for gas and B7 for diesel over here in Slovenia.....and all german cars are still running....

On the flip side there are now 15% ethanol blends (E15 in the states) for gas and yet stuck with B5 for diesel. I honestly think its mainly a quality control concern with the biodiesel producers since it is a much newer "technology" vs Ethanol. I'm thinking as we move down the road higher blends will be approved, but who knows if diesel passenger cars will still exist in this market after VW dieselgate.

I went back today to fill up the GL, and saw no specific labeling besides D2. Maybe since NJ is so bad with labelling, they also do not need to disclose ethanol percentage, so its possible they just dont put it up. On the plus side, both of the diesels saw a 3-4 mpg improvement with Sunoco. Not sure if it was just a fluke, I went with Valero in the tdi to see if theres a change.

Thread on the additive forum with a fuel delivery driver in GA. I asked this and he said all D2 manifests when he loads have an asterisk that says load may contain up to 5% bio. The dreaded "may" that doesn't tell us anything although if it was always zero there wouldn't be need for an asterisk.

Last edited:
Northern Wisconsin Shell stations I see labels on the diesel pumps "non bio diesel, includes schaeffer lubrication additive" ; I had the best mpg with this diesel.

Kwik Trip stations in WI reportedly the diesel comes from a refinery in MN, does not contain bio diesel. They have regular #2 diesel and "Premium Winterized Diesel" for 5-10 cents more gallon. No sticker on the pump indicating any % bio.

I'm told the CFPP (Cold Filter Plugging Point) is lower with non bio diesel thus the necessity for northern climates.

Bio is a love hate relationship, ULSD with very little lubricant, bio seems to add that lubricant at significant hit to the BTU and MPG.

Originally Posted by Fraser434
Kwik Trip stations in WI reportedly the diesel comes from a refinery in MN, does not contain bio diesel. They have regular #2 diesel and "Premium Winterized Diesel" for 5-10 cents more gallon. No sticker on the pump indicating any % bio.

As noted above, here in Wisconsin a label is required only if the concentration is greater than 5%.

I live in Italy.
From 1 January 2019, according to the European Standards EN 590, diesel fuel must be mixed with 7% Biodiesel.
This percentage should have increased to 10% from 1 January 2020 but I believe it has not been done ...

I don't know if I have yet seen a diesel pump around Atlanta that does not have the B5 sticker on it. Seeing that lubricity is quite a bit better with B5 vs B0 I think I may stop spending the coin on DieselKleen Silver, might still run it through here and there for cleaning but for lubricity seems like it may be overkill.

From what I have read, VW doesn't allow it not because it can't run on it, but because of deposits. Supposedly the fuel temps get so high in the TDI common rail engines that the biodiesel portion has issues with gunking up injectors,etc. Sort of like something greasy splashing in the oven and getting cooked. Probably not to that extent, but I assume they don't want to eat the costs under warranty. I have no idea where to even find biodiesel at this point so I'm not really worried that I will stumble upon it. My older TDI cars though loved it when it was available in my area and I always went out of my way to fill up there. All of my TDI cars at this point get 50 cetane premium gold diesel. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I would like to think more effort was put into that than just any corner gas station. It is usually cheaper anyway.

Northern Wisconsin Shell stations I see labels on the diesel pumps "non bio diesel, includes schaeffer lubrication additive" ; I had the best mpg with this diesel.

I'm told the CFPP (Cold Filter Plugging Point) is lower with non bio diesel thus the necessity for northern climates.

Bio is a love hate relationship, ULSD with very little lubricant, bio seems to add that lubricant at significant hit to the BTU and MPG.

It is my understanding that if there is no sign on the pump stating B5 - BXX then it has to be below the 5%. B5 and under is not required to be marked or noted by law.

Kwik Star made a grand entrance to Iowa over that last several years with Top Tier fuels and good pricing. I have noticed lately their prices are more in line with everyone else and in the case of diesel well above many of the competitors... I love me some Kwik Star but not at $0.30 to $0.50 more per gallon.

Just my $0.02

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

On the flip side there are now 15% ethanol blends (E15 in the states) for gas and yet stuck with B5 for diesel. I honestly think its mainly a quality control concern with the biodiesel producers since it is a much newer "technology" vs Ethanol. I'm thinking as we move down the road higher blends will be approved, but who knows if diesel passenger cars will still exist in this market after VW dieselgate.

It's a viscosity and frost thing. Biodiesel freezes at higher temperatures, and it drives up the fuel viscosity at any temperature.

Still nothing here in Virginia, no diesel pumps says anything about biodiesel.
I called the local Sunoco gas station and they said there is not any biodiesel in their diesel, but guy could just be ignorant.
A station in Gloucester used to advertise they had b20, but a few years ago dropped it, and when I called said they have no biodiesel in their diesel, but again, they could be dummies. I was told the reason b20 was dropped is people did not want to pay extra for the 'privilege'

Just 2% biodiesel in diesel is enough to restore the lost lubricity of ULSD. And b2 works better than all other diesel additives, has the best lubricity.

Reactions: AP9
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back