Is All Dexron III-H/M the Same?

Napa has this ATF apparently made by Valvoline. Valvoline has theirs. Federated has theirs and it is about 1/2 price of everyone else's this month.

Are they all the same chemically? I know the Toyota and Lexus dealers use Napa. Does Valvoline add some special elixer to theirs or NAPA'S?

Federated is less than $5/qt.

Gebo,

I am about to get flamed- there is no such thing as Dexron III. You may see it on a label, etc.... but I can put 50w in a bottle and call it Dexron III. There was Dexron III years ago, but the licensing was discontinued.

All DEXRON®-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications. GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

So what “Dexron lll” should I use in my 2002 4Runner?

you can either use dexron VI or a major brand that specs suitable for dexron III applications.

IMO even supertech would be fine.

From what I recall dexron III sheared to the viscosity of dexron VI rather quickly?

AT Fluids such as Amsoil ATF, Redline D4, and Valvoline Dexron III-H Mercon

use the same ATF Dexron/Merc formula, with a 100C viscosity of about 7.4 cSt, and as when they were actively licensed; they didn't just throw those formulas away.

However, Dexron VI is backward compatible and has a more stable formula in terms of friction modification, viscosity stability, and better VII's.

Last edited:
AT Fluids such as Amsoil ATF, Redline D4, and Valvoline Dexron III-H Mercon

use the same ATF Dexron/Merc formula, with a 100C viscosity of about 7.4 cSt, and as when they were actively licensed; they didn't throw those formulas away, .

However, Dexron VI is backward compatible and has a more stable formula in terms of friction modification, viscosity stability, and better VII's.
So you are ok with Dexron Vl in my ‘02 4 Runnet that calls for Dexron lll?

So you are ok with Dexron Vl in my ‘02 4 Runnet that calls for Dexron lll?
Yes, or the Valvoline Dexron III-H Mercon. Either one will function well.

An option for a transmission with high mileage is as 56Cummins said, the TES-389 or the Amsoil Torque Drive.

Use PENNZOIL after 1983 Dex II/DEX III fluid.
1662437291485.png

1662437409053.jpg

1662437365742.png

Back