is a ps cooler needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
many older cars did not have one. ford has used them since the 60's. many newer cars use them.the return line on my truck has a loop thats bolted to the frame im guessing to use the frame as a heat sinc. i picked up a factory trans cooler and was considering using it as a ps cooler.

but my jeep has nothing.just a hose from the box to the pump.

I've always wondered. I want to say, when I've looked at Toyota's with tow packages, they tend to come with PS coolers. I'm 99% sure I see one on the front of my Tundra.

Want to say, it makes sense, I mean, how hard is it to put a bunch of fins onto a loop out of the pump? Vast majority of time it's just along for the ride.

Now, on an off-road vehicle, where it's getting lots of steering action at low speeds and possibly against things that won't move, that makes sense. But while I don't frequent off-road forums I can't say I've come across complaints about PS pumps burning out.

If you are off-roading or rock climbing and have space for a cooler I would mount one.

AS I tell my off-roading and racing friends, change all fluids after the event or weekend of fun in the outdoors.

Fresh lubricant is the still the cheapest insurance for component longevity.

Last edited:
My old Ford Ranger had a small PS cooler. Try M1 ATF if it's compatable. This stuff holds up very well in PS pumps.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My old Ford Ranger had a small PS cooler. Try M1 ATF if it's compatable. This stuff holds up very well in PS pumps.
mine calls for type "F" and thats whats in it. i think anything would work as long as the old is completly removed

My ford ranger has a factory power steering cooler but my 78 chevy k20 does not. I have a infrared thermal temp gun that i have used to measured the power steering fluid temp in the chevy after a 20 mile drive and it was only 150f. I think the proper way to determine if you need a power steering cooler is to use a thermometer or temp gun and measure the fluid temp in the reservoir after putting the steering through the worst conditions it will see.

Our old Accords had PSF coolers.
I haven't looked to see whether the '12 does or not.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Many police cars had them at one time.

Yes, my Crown Vic has one. As Tig1 noted, Mobil 1 ATF is an excellent power steering fluid.

You mean to tell me cars still come with obsolete hydraulic style power steering?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You mean to tell me cars still come with obsolete hydraulic style power steering?

Yep, instead of the cheaper artificial feel electric stuff.
More expensive, but better road feel and about as reliable as any good hammer.

well look at my sig. no cars are less than 10 yrs old

Your confusing obsolete with age old and proven. electric power steering is just begging for problems. Imagine "unintended steering" cropping up in the news, and the resulting deaths. No thank you Id rather not "drive by wire" any more than I have too.

Hydraulic power steering, manual transmission, and throttle cable for me as long as its available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back