Is 2010 Equinox piston ring fix a long term solution?

Recently bought a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 in it. 2 weeks later my cousin told me about their oil consumption issues. Had to add 2 qts of oil the next day (9/10/21). The place i bought it from kindly took it to diagnose and they replaced the intake manifold instead of just cleaning it. Noted that they did not believe it to be the piston rings because the car doesnt produce excess smoke.

They told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if i continue to have problems within the next few weeks.

After i picked it up i called my local chevy dealer and gave them the vin. They said there were no open recalls and that the Piston/Rings were replaced in 2015 when the vehicle had around 40,000 miles. It now has 95,000.

Was the piston/ring fix a permanent solution? Or did people continue to experience high oil consumption after having them repaired?

Thank you!

I’ve seen Audi’s burn a litre in 200 miles with no visible smoke that had poor piston and ring design. It take‘s a lot of oil to produce visible smoke.

Intake replacement did nothing for the oil consumption. Once a 2.4 starts using oil, it's using oil. Buy a case of the cheapest 5w30 you can get your hands on and keep it in the back. You'll get plenty of good service out of that rig, as long as you keep oil in it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, gotten and found a lot of info the last couple days, going to let it do its thing and see where the dealer lands. They told me to bring it back if it kept consuming oil.

n theday you bought it did you check the oil level? How many miles did you put on it in that two weeks?

On the day you bought it did you check the oil level? How many miles did you put on it in that two weeks?
Yeah, I made sure it was level, the dealership had done a fresh oil change. I put roughly 1000 miles on it. Only 3 or 4 trips shorter than 20 minutes.

Recently bought a 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 in it. 2 weeks later my cousin told me about their oil consumption issues. Had to add 2 qts of oil the next day (9/10/21). The place i bought it from kindly took it to diagnose and they replaced the intake manifold instead of just cleaning it. Noted that they did not believe it to be the piston rings because the car doesnt produce excess smoke.

They told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if i continue to have problems within the next few weeks.

After i picked it up i called my local chevy dealer and gave them the vin. They said there were no open recalls and that the Piston/Rings were replaced in 2015 when the vehicle had around 40,000 miles. It now has 95,000.

Was the piston/ring fix a permanent solution? Or did people continue to experience high oil consumption after having them repaired?

Thank you!
Low tension rings have been the trend now for quite a while. remember having to break in a new engine

It is NOT a permanent fix. Have seen many of these come through our shop that consume oil and have had rings done in the past.

I've owned a 2010 equinox. Thing just uses oil. I check once a week. I just learned to deal with it. But make sure it's dexos oil. I put cheap oil in it and it fried the cam sensor in the valve cover.

My wife has a 2013 Equinox with the 2.4. It would burn through 1 quart in about 1500-2000 miles. Ours was built before the new rings came into use, and we even have the letter from GM, but the dealer insists we're not eligible and diagnosed it as a clogged breather orifice (it wasn't). I did give a treatment with BG EPR 109 on a whim, and it did make a noticeable improvement in the consumption, like after 3000 miles it didn't need to be topped off again.

My new 2011 Equinox started using excessive oil early in it's life. The dealer replaced the pistons, rings, timing chains, tensioners, fuel pump and valve actuators under warranty. They also reprogrammed the oil life monitor for more frequent oil changes. I was going around 10k miles before it called for a change. I still have the car, it has 142k in 2022 and uses no oil between changes. I'd say it's a permanent fix if you mind the oil life monitor and use full synthetic Dexos as I have.

Having said that I monitor closely for the engine developing blow-by and to make sure the PCV system, if you can call it that, is still functioning properly. I installed an $80 vented oil fill cap with a check valve built in and an oil catch can it doesn't need yet just in case because I still feel like my engine is a time bomb. (I watch too many Equinox Youtube videos) So wish I had bought the Rav4 or Forester instead.

Given the cost of vehicles now I guess I'll eventually report back on how far you can push an Equinox 2.4 Ecotec engine with regular maintenance.

My wife has a 2013 Equinox with the 2.4. It would burn through 1 quart in about 1500-2000 miles. Ours was built before the new rings came into use, and we even have the letter from GM, but the dealer insists we're not eligible and diagnosed it as a clogged breather orifice (it wasn't). I did give a treatment with BG EPR 109 on a whim, and it did make a noticeable improvement in the consumption, like after 3000 miles it didn't need to be topped off again.
DMSO is also a good way to free up the rings.

Back