Irony

Can you plug 2 cars together? Drain one and charge another enough to get to a charging station?
Not today, AFAIK. Is it possible? One of the electric gurus on the forum might chime in.
I think it should be possible, because the new Ford Lightning is supposed to be able to run your home in a power outage.

Above my paygrade.

Not today, AFAIK. Is it possible? One of the electric gurus on the forum might chime in.
I think it should be possible, because the new Ford Lightning is supposed to be able to run your home in a power outage.

Above my paygrade.

Can you plug 2 cars together? Drain one and charge another enough to get to a charging station?

Oh yes. The F-150 Lightning even comes with a Tesla adapter to charge them. Hyundai does it. I believe Rivian and Hummer EV all do it too. Will be pretty standard on future EVs.

Last edited:

Above my paygrade.
Ford provides a cord that plugs into the F-150 Lightning and can charge any electric vehicle with a J1772 plug, which is the standard EV connector in North America. Early Lightning customers get the Mobile Power Cord, 14-30 to 14-50 adapter and also the J1772 to Tesla adapter.

Let's not make excuses. EV or ICE you run out of juice or gas for either, 99% it's on your vacant mindset. Barring some catastrophic roadside issues.
Well, when I was younger it was 99% on my vacant wallet. I had a lotta rough years, of my own making.
But it's fun to bash the CA granola heads, isn't it?

Oh yes. The F-150 Lightning even comes with a Tesla adapter to charge them. Hyundai does it. I believe Rivian and Hummer EV all do it too. Will be pretty standard on future EVs.

So we'll be seeing 2EVs on the highway at 75 mph 6 feet apart with a charging cord between them soon? Like in air refueling for jets? Elon probably already has an app for that to maintain distance.

Well, when I was younger it was 99% on my vacant wallet. I had a lotta rough years, of my own making.
But it's fun to bash the CA granola heads, isn't it?

Walk that back brotha. Nothing I stated was a bash on the CA gronola. We've all been in the poor house, or many of us have. I grew up on a dairy farm and was handed my first "job" at 12. My first SUV was a 89 Chevy S10 Blazer (V6 total POS required me to replace cap/rotor like yearly!!) and I was an avid ice climber/hiker. Many trips to Mt Washington in NH in winter and I coasted in "N" on the way home on the larger downhills on I-91 from Bradford VT to the MA border attempting to save a $.

I first learned how to do brakes on that Chevy because I was too poor to pay for it. Thank you Chilton's manual!!

I think there’s a big difference between an older car breaking down, and an EV running out of juice with all the driver help, navigation, and warnings they provide.

You’ve elaborated on how your Tesla tells you how many miles available, finds you an open charging station, etc.
This guy must have gotten out in no mans land. To my knowledge the nearest charging would be on I-81in Va. Don't know of any in the Davis, WV area. Davis and another town next to it have gone yuppie. People from DC go out there on weekends. Last time I went through Davis, I didn't see any chargers.

Last edited:
I'm usually not skeptical, but in this case I am somewhat. I don't see anything that suggests this is an EV. And, if it were, why push it to a coal mine? Where did this image come from? What's the back story?
Google it in the news. Nearest tv station reported on it.

Unless you're in a remote location with no gas source around ... imagine if an ICE car ran out of gas at that location. It could be more difficult to get it running again than it was to just plug in the EV.

Cars run out of gas, EVs run out of electrons ... so what? Until we start driving nuclear-powered vehicles it will continue to happen.
You really don't see the irony of an EV from Wash. DC running out of charge near a coal fired electric plant?? People in
DC hate coal and want to do away with it. But it's where all their electricity comes from.

I can easily agree, but I gave up worrying about the haters a long time ago.
As you know, real estate in CA is expensive, so I don't give them free real estate in my head. Ha!
Just where does hate come in?? Shel is in a bad mood that's all.

Let's not make excuses. EV or ICE you run out of juice or gas for either, 99% it's on your vacant mindset. Barring some catastrophic roadside issues.
I think EV drivers probably run out of fuel less than gas vehicles. Gas vehicles don't have the reminders that EV's do. Aren't EV's always telling you how far the nex charge is?

Above my paygrade.
Not sure if it would be that fast unless it's a fully charged one to a dead one. Probably possible but need software to do it and to let it know that it's plugged into another car to jump start/charge it. Probably depends more on the charging car having the right cable and hardware to charge the other car. It's basically a DC battery and you charge it with AC or DC. The car being charged shouldn't care if it's another car or an AC or DC outlet.

I think EV drivers probably run out of fuel less than gas vehicles. Gas vehicles don't have the reminders that EV's do. Aren't EV's always telling you how far the nex charge is?
Every car I've owned over 33 years has had a fuel gauge, most with a low fuel warning light and in the last decade they have all had 'range to empty' displays. More recent ones have even had the ability to navigate to the nearest fuel station when the fuel gets to a low level. My EV has a range-to-empty display and will navigate to a charger if requested to. Nothing new here.

EV drivers may be more aware of their remaining range, due to the consequences of running out (also known as range anxiety, although after the first week of use I pretty much got over it and just drive). But also many EV drivers can charge at home so will always start the day with a full tank. Contrast that with my wife's car (ICE) which she is currently out in specifically to fill it up since it is way empty and it needs to have some range in it for an upcoming journey, the timing of which makes filling en route a challenge. We can't fill that at home - or at work, or in the shopping mall parking lot, or whilst out for dinner or at the movies.

The mindset has to change - EVs you charge whilst doing something else whereas ICEs you fill on demand. You could argue that an EV takes no additional time to recharge, because you do it in the background whilst doing something else. An ICE you have to make a specific journey, or detour, and have to be present for the whole filling process. Journeys beyond the range of an EV are where charge time becomes an issue, but for most people these long journeys are a small or often zero portion of their annual usage. You trade off the longer charging time on a rare long journey against the convenience, cost saving and local emissions reduction for most daily journeys.

I have a low fuel warning light, I think it might have come on one time, and I pulled into a gas station and got gas. I've been driving since the mid 70's and can honestly say the only thing I ever ran out of gas was my snowblower, never a vehicle I drove. I'm sure it will be the same for me when I can no longer drive a gas or diesel vehicle and an EV is forced on me. But that's if I'm still alive when gas and diesel vehicles are totally phased out, odds are if I can still buy a gas or diesel vehicle I will.

Sure. I think the post is showing a battery out of juice; similar to an ICE vehicle being out of gas. I could be wrong. Of course it is easier to pour in a gallon of gas than to charge an EV at the side of the road.
I think that is the point of the OP.
A phone call in many cases can bring you a gallon of gas if not a walk to a gas station and your on your way. Doesn't involve towing or pushing a car to one.
I guess I have been fortunate. Gosh, almost 50 years or driving now, never broke down or needed a tow. Man, hope it doesnt happen today now that I said it. I leave for the gym in 45 minutes, I let you know if it does. *LOL*

Oops, one time when I was 17 years old, my 67 GTO starter went out in front of my girlfriends high school, banging on the starter with a lug wrench didnt work, she had a friend with a tow truck to tow it ... :ROFLMAO: I wish I could re-do my teen years.

Last edited:
Back