Iridium or Ruthenium plug to replace a copper plug in performance LS

I'd rate Iridium and Ru plugs about same. Ran Ru plugs in Forte for over a year and went back to Iridium only 'cos a coil failed and I was pulling things out for inspection and decided to change plugs too. One new coil so far, but gonna replace the other 3 as well; wife's car thus need it to be more dependable. Kept Ru plugs aside JIC.

From my reading and research last night, a lot of marketing info and people's opinions or one off experiences alluded to >100k life with the Ru plugs. But not enough concrete data. It seems as if all the comparison was done again Iridium IX as far as longevity goes, and that gets confusing trying to differentiate Iridium IX and Laser Iridium.

I'm not doubting some get that longevity, but I have ran Laser Iridium NGKs in the past and Denso Iridium plugs that lasted well into the 100k range on Honda's and GMs.

Seems like in general use most passenger car and light truck plugs these days are reaching 100k. It’s not like copper. With wasted spark ignition, platinum plugs also wore relatively quickly on my older Subarus. But the new stuff? They seem to go awhile.

Just realized my truck has 65k and her CRV has 85k. Ford people say the truck’s plugs should be changed at 30k, and it’s seen long distance towing. Some sort of NGK iridium got the nod there, and the Honda is getting denso iridium. The Honda is hesitating at deep-foot acceleration so I’ve got to pull the plugs and coils anyway. No codes yet but it’s regular and repeatable, so I’m hoping I can see some visual indicators of a failed coil pack insulator or something.

Only after reading this thread did I go back and look at all the different offerings. According to NGK, the ford is t getting their best “mpg” plug. Really? I’ve not ever seen a tangible difference in mpg from spark plugs.

Seems like in general use most passenger car and light truck plugs these days are reaching 100k. It’s not like copper. With wasted spark ignition, platinum plugs also wore relatively quickly on my older Subarus. But the new stuff? They seem to go awhile.

Just realized my truck has 65k and her CRV has 85k. Ford people say the truck’s plugs should be changed at 30k, and it’s seen long distance towing. Some sort of NGK iridium got the nod there, and the Honda is getting denso iridium. The Honda is hesitating at deep-foot acceleration so I’ve got to pull the plugs and coils anyway. No codes yet but it’s regular and repeatable, so I’m hoping I can see some visual indicators of a failed coil pack insulator or something.

Only after reading this thread did I go back and look at all the different offerings. According to NGK, the ford is t getting their best “mpg” plug. Really? I’ve not ever seen a tangible difference in mpg from spark plugs.
When I had my 2009 Honda Accord I did plugs early 'cause I was young and dumb and believed some sort of "don't let the plugs seize in the head" speak. So I pulled the OE Denso Iridiums around 50k. I replaced with OE Laser NGKs, ran them about 80-90k then put the OE Denso plugs back in. Car ran well on all plugs.

The offerings of plugs made me do a double take on what's what.

I wonder if ACDelco Iridium plugs are single-precious metal or dual like an OE Laser Iridium or the higher-end Densos?

Yes you can. You can even just step up to a Platinum plug at lower cost and still get 50k miles out of them. I would even run an Autolite Platinum and be happy. That is what I would do personally.
Platinum would be a step down, but still good.

Also looks like Iridium OE Laser is better than Iridium IX? Man I got some reading to do... lol
Yes IX is Iridium center electrode and just a standard ground. Where as Laser Iridium is center Iridium with either a platinum or Iridium pad on the ground for gap preservation.

Actually, earlier today, I installed a set of IX on my Acura ILX K24 engine. No issues. I change them every 50K miles.

Depends also on the vehicle, LS GM Vortec trucks... I've seen almost all the electrode gone off of a plug and the coil is still pushing enough juice to make that puppy spark.

Modern electronic ignition systems can darn well make a wet stick throw a spark lol.

I switched to a set of the NGK Ruthenium's on my Outback just because its a PITA to replace them. They have performed well, no regrets.

Modern electronic ignition systems can darn well make a wet stick throw a spark lol.

I switched to a set of the NGK Ruthenium's on my Outback just because its a PITA to replace them. They have performed well, no regrets.
I like that one! I’m gonna use it. That sure is the truth too. And also longevity at times. I’m still on OE square coils… 325k and almost 20 years. Wild stuff!

They can make me throw a spark too

Don't mess with coils on a running vehicle

Yes IX is Iridium center electrode and just a standard ground. Where as Laser Iridium is center Iridium with either a platinum or Iridium pad on the ground for gap preservation.
also from what I remember the IX center electrode is smaller diameter than the Laser Iridium center electrode, probably why the Laser Iridium (one of the reasons) lasts longer, more to wear down.

From my reading and research last night, a lot of marketing info and people's opinions or one off experiences alluded to >100k life with the Ru plugs. But not enough concrete data. It seems as if all the comparison was done again Iridium IX as far as longevity goes, and that gets confusing trying to differentiate Iridium IX and Laser Iridium.

I'm not doubting some get that longevity, but I have ran Laser Iridium NGKs in the past and Denso Iridium plugs that lasted well into the 100k range on Honda's and GMs.
What I got out of my reading is the Ru alloy is harder (longer lasting?) than platinum but also a cheaper metal for the manufacturer. I tried them on my 5.7L vortec and the idle wasn't as smooth as the IX. I do have a set for the Honda to try out when the time comes.

Same, no issues with them in our 8th gen accord.

I do find the information on them confusing however, I tried them because new why not but a lot of what I read varied, and almost seemed to contradict itself.

Some say they run hotter, some say they run colder and build up deposits, some say they fire better than irriduim, while others say they are more delayed.

I just wish manufacturers would make a consensus, my impression is they last a good deal longer than platinum, while being a cheaper metal than iridium. I can't say if they are better than iridium but their claim to fame seems to be cheaper than iridium but lasts about as long.

NGK claims they burn fuel better than irdium, but only show information for the plugs designed speficially for turbos with a special grounding tip not found on iridium, so I'm not sure to what degree that plays an effect.
I always thought platinum was more conductive than iridium but the iridium was a much harder metal meaning less wear on the plug.

I guess these were getting a little crispy next to the exhaust manifolds.

Going back to some OE style wires along with the OE tin tube shields, along with some the OE Laser Iridium plugs.

I had these Taylor 409 wires that I put on in October when I went down a rabbit hole trying to correct/fix a misfire, which these didn't, but I left them on. Oh well.

1713573045697.jpg

All finished, no drama.

Went with an NGK OE Laser Iridium plug. Heat range 6. Actually the OE plug for an LSA 6.2 supercharged.

Dug through my shelves of LSx parts and found some spark plug shields… cleaned them up and put on some new SMP OE style spark plug wires.

Runs good, smooth again and well.

Will be nice now to not change plugs so often.

Also looks like Iridium OE Laser is better than Iridium IX? Man I got some reading to do... lol
NGK’s OE Laser plugs are double precious metal tipped, and meant for longer life - OE recommended replacement if the car was OE with double platinum/iridium-platinum plugs. Notable exceptions are Subarus and V6/V8 Toyota D4-S engines in Lexus models or the later Camry/Sienna/Highlander/Tacoma with the 2GR-FKS.

The “performance” line - G-Power and Iridium IX aren’t long life - replace them every 30K. They are fine as upgrades to OE copper or in modded applications.

Toyota wants plugs changed at 60K on the 2GR-FSE/FXS/FKS, 4GR-FSE, 1UR-FSE and 2UR-GSE/FSE in many Lexus and newer V6 Camry/Sienna and Tacomas. They use a tri-ground electrode plug to handle direct injection and are hard on plugs. Subaru wants 60K as well on their newer engines. Funny enough, when Toyota added on D4-S GDI onto the new A/M Dynamic Force engines, they went back to 100K intervals.

View attachment 215505
"Laser" is a factory 100k plug (either dual platinum or platinum/iridium) and usually costs the most

Good work OP 👍

I'd pay close attention to the ground and center tip materials for each specific model. There are "Laser Platinum" plugs that have a nickel ground tip and a claimed lifespan of only 40k miles compared to 90k miles for proper double platinum tips. Very confusing when they are specified for the same application and the "superior" double platinum plug costs less...

Eg:
Laser Platinum w/ nickel ground, 40k mile life: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=30699

Laser Platinum w/ platinum center and ground, 90k mile life: https://www.ngk.com/ngk-5987-plzfr6a-11s-laser-platinum-spark-plug

Back