Iridium or Ruthenium plug to replace a copper plug in performance LS

I run NGK TR6 copper/nickel plugs in my LQ4 swapped Tahoe. It has a mild (baby) cam and it is tuned. As the request of my tuner over a year ago, I was advised to run the TR6 plugs. Apparently the TR6 is a one-step colder heat range plug from the OE.

It has ran great on these plugs and it is tuned well for them. I have replaced them once already and am around 15k on this set -- I'm getting ready to replace them again.

Could I run an NGK Iridium (TR6IX) or Ruthenium (TR6AHX) plug and not have to change them so often? The should still do the job as long as I also buy a the same heat range?

Would love to get 50k + out of plugs.

I've been running Rutheniums for a couple of years now. No complaints, but really can't tell the difference between them and the Toyota OEM ones.

Thanks folks, going to go either iridium or RH in a week or so here. I just really don't wanna touch 'em for a while.

Yes, you can replace them with iridium or ruthenium. The part numbers themselves signify being iridium/ruthenium versions of the TR6 :)

The OE Laser Iridium will last longer than iridium IX, and another good choice is Denso Iridium TT.

I think ruthenium technology is neat. Ran them with no issues on a k24.
Same, no issues with them in our 8th gen accord.

I do find the information on them confusing however, I tried them because new why not but a lot of what I read varied, and almost seemed to contradict itself.

Some say they run hotter, some say they run colder and build up deposits, some say they fire better than irriduim, while others say they are more delayed.

I just wish manufacturers would make a consensus, my impression is they last a good deal longer than platinum, while being a cheaper metal than iridium. I can't say if they are better than iridium but their claim to fame seems to be cheaper than iridium but lasts about as long.

NGK claims they burn fuel better than irdium, but only show information for the plugs designed speficially for turbos with a special grounding tip not found on iridium, so I'm not sure to what degree that plays an effect.

Also looks like Iridium OE Laser is better than Iridium IX? Man I got some reading to do... lol
I think both Denso and NGK offer (2) versions of their Iridium, one the "standard" (~60k miles) and one considered long life (~100k miles). I can't remember which "name" they give them.

I just wish manufacturers would make a consensus, my impression is they last a good deal longer than platinum, while being a cheaper metal than iridium. I can't say if they are better than iridium but their claim to fame seems to be cheaper than iridium but lasts about as long.
Iridium is supposed to be getting harder to source, while ruthenium is more available with similar enough characteristics.

Can spark plugs make a difference in MPG's? I ask because the rockauto website uses a star system and some plugs get 2 stars while others get 4 stars etc... I fid it hard to believe that there could be more than a minute diferece in gas mileage between a 'double platinum' and a 'ruthenium' spark plug. Thoughts?

I have the rutheniums on my turbo AX car, it seems fine. Considering I average less then 3k on the car a year will outlast the rust lol

I've been running Rutheniums for a couple of years now. No complaints, but really can't tell the difference between them and the Toyota OEM ones.
I mean they either spark or they don't. If they spark then there's usually no difference in how the car runs. If the new plugs don't spark it's gonna be a fun time chasing electrical gremlins.

Can spark plugs make a difference in MPG's? I ask because the rockauto website uses a star system and some plugs get 2 stars while others get 4 stars etc... I fid it hard to believe that there could be more than a minute diferece in gas mileage between a 'double platinum' and a 'ruthenium' spark plug. Thoughts?
I doubt it contributes that much. I mean 120k on a wasted single platinum plug MPG versus a new plug is probably a think... but you'd prob notice the misfires and or lack of power that'd contribute to that.

Depends also on the vehicle, LS GM Vortec trucks... I've seen almost all the electrode gone off of a plug and the coil is still pushing enough juice to make that puppy spark.

Think I have decided upon some NGK Laser Iridium in the ITR6G9/90156 flavor. They are a '6' heat range plug, with the same dimensions as my OE plug and a TR6. They are also the OE application plug for a supercharged 6.2 in a Camaro, Corvette and in some Mustangs.

Also pre-gapped to .036".

I was running my TR6 at .035" so these should be prefect.

I like Denso Twin Tip Indiums. Both cars and one mower use them. Gen Coupe came standard with them. Easily get 70k out of them on the turbo.

Can spark plugs make a difference in MPG's?
At some point, probably will.... When I replaced the factory plugs in my G35 at between 100-110k miles (my sister bought it new and I have all service records), I noticed zero difference in anything (fuel economy, idle smoothness, etc). On 2 add'l cars in recent years, both with Iridium plugs and similar mileage (95-120k miles), again, no change. They were only replaced for "maintenance" (and because they were easy to remove and replace). Did the MPG increase (or decrease) by a few tenths ? Maybe

Back