Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
quote:

Iran Says Pilotless U.S. Jets Are Spying on Nuclear Sites
New York Times 02/17/05
author: Nazila Fathi
c. 2005 New York Times Company

TEHRAN, Feb. 16 - Iran said Wednesday that American pilotless spy planes had been seen over its nuclear sites and threatened to shoot them down if they came within range.

Information Minister Ali Yunessi, speaking after a meeting with members of Parliament, said the American spying over Iran had been going on for "a long time."

"Most of the shining objects that our people see in Iran's airspace are American spying equipment used to spy on Iran's nuclear and military facilities," Mr. Yunessi said on state television. "If any of the bright objects come close, they will definitely meet our fire and will be shot down," he said. "We possess the necessary equipment to confront them."

Iran's Foreign Ministry would not comment on Sunday on a Washington Post report that American pilotless planes had been flying over Iran for nearly a year, looking for evidence of a nuclear weapons program. "I cannot make comments about it," said the spokesman for the ministry, Hamid Reza Assefi. "The subject is related to the security and information apparatus."

The White House spokesman, Scott McClellan, asked about the reports on Monday, said he could not confirm or deny "matters related to intelligence." Questioned again by reporters on Wednesday, Mr. McClellan said he had nothing to add.

The issue adds to rising concern in Iran over possible United States surveillance operations in the country. A report last month in The New Yorker contended that American commandos had been operating in Iran since last summer. The Iranian authorities rejected the report, saying it was part of "psychological warfare against Iran."

Also on Wednesday, explosions in southern Iran that were later said to be from construction work, jolted world financial markets, causing stocks to briefly fall. The jitters arose over concern that the blasts could have come from missile fire aimed at Iran's nuclear site in Bushehr, a southern port.

But Iran dismissed those reports, with the leader of the policy making Supreme National Security Council, Ali Aghamohammadi, saying "the explosion was caused by blasts during work at Kossar dam." State television had reported that the explosion was caused by a fuel tank that fell from an aircraft.

The explosion was heard at 10 a.m. local time in Deylam, a southern port city about 130 miles west of the Bushehr nuclear power plant.

The comments on Wednesday on the pilotless planes followed reports in April in Iranian newspapers that U.F.O.'s had been seen by people in several parts of the country, but mostly in the north and northwest, the locations of Iran's nuclear sites. A reporter for the state-run news agency IRNA said he had seen a similar object over Bilesavar in the north for 90 minutes.

But the news media reported then that military and civilian radar had not registered any violations into Iran's airspace and the defense and foreign ministries dismissed suggestions that the objects were American pilotless planes, emphasizing that nothing could penetrate Iranian skies without being tracked.

Later in the year, the authorities acknowledged the possibility that surveillance aircraft could be operating over Iran. In December 2004, the daily Ressalat reported that Iran's air force had been ordered to shoot down any suspicious flying object near its nuclear facilities.

Iran Asserts Right to Defend Itself

By The New York Times

LONDON, Feb. 16 - Iran seeks stability in the Middle East and greater interaction with the rest of the world, but it is prepared to defend itself in the event of an attack, the Iranian ambassador to Britain said Wednesday evening.

"Any reasonable man would take these kind of threats quite seriously and plan accordingly," Ambassador Mohammad Hossein Adeli said. "Anyone who is attacked would deploy their own capabilities to defend themselves."

"We hope this would not happen," he added "and we are not for fighting or for destabilizing the region." He spoke at a news conference here and later at a dinner with reporters.

Iran's nuclear buildup is strictly for energy purposes, he repeated. "It is our responsibility to reassure the world community that our nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, and is not going to be diverted for nuclear weapons."

He said Iran's energy consumption would soon reach 1.7 million barrels of oil a day, an amount it could not take from domestic supplies without crippling export profits.

He expressed frustration at poor relations with the United States, and hope that Europe could play a stabilizing role. He also criticized what he called America's failure to recognize Iran's importance to peace in the Middle East and the world.

quote:

He expressed frustration at poor relations with the United States

One way to solve that...just open up everything in the light of day and come clean.

Simple enough to me
dunno.gif

Well..I think N Korea, Iran, and Syria will team up eventually. N Korea needs fuel and Iran/Syria Nukes.

I can not see much hope of avoiding ugliness here. One of these three will do something incredibly stupid..leaving us or more likely Israel no choice but to turn all three into cinders. I just don't see any way around it unfortunately.
frown.gif

Isreal has purchased 500 bunker busting bombs. Look for them to strike first.

quote:

Originally posted by keith:
Israel will strike Iranian nuclear sites within the next 6 months.

I watched some conference at a Washington thinktank on C-Span a couple weeks ago (forgot which thinktank it was), and Ken Milmen said Isrealy F-15Is could not make it ther and back without refueling. Overall, he said the logistics of it for our Isrealy friends are too much to overcome.
dunno.gif
I was thinking during the whole thing, ever heard of a KC-10 there Kenny
lol.gif

I hope Israel takes care of Iran's nuke program. They are perfectly capable & it keeps our hands clean.

But, I'm sure Ted Kennedy will find a way to blame America even if Israel fires on Iran.

Israel is far more capable than we even know. They have secret programs and weapons systems as well as an intelligence network far, far better than we ever will, in the middle eastern region. The only reason Israel has not done something in the past is the United States asking them to refrain. With a green light from the U.S., Israel may very well do some of the dirty work that we would otherwise have to do. After all, they are an independent nation that has a right to defend itself from nations that have openly voiced their desire for Israel to be destroyed.

It is highly likely that Israel has nuclear weapons. Probably hundreds of nuclear weapons.

Iran no doubt is developing nuclear weapons. Once they have them the Middle East will become much more dangerous. In a way, trying to look at things from both sides, you really cannot blame them for developing nuclear weapons. Israel has nuclear weapons, right? But I think the evil leadership in Iran will probably try to supply nuclear weapons to terrorists so that the terrorists can do their dirty work for them, and they claim to have had nothing to do with it. N

On a side note, North Korea almost certainly supplied Libya with nuclear fuel.

quote:

Originally posted by andrews:
With a green light from the U.S., Israel may very well do some of the dirty work that we would otherwise have to do.

I think in thes area..they will do whater needs done. This thing is threatening their survival. This attack on Iran ..I'll bet will be an order of magnitude beyond what is expected.

Iran has got to have their head up their arse. It's gonna be awsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back