Ipone oil - any experience with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker.
I just bought a new bike, a Kawasaki Z125. And I've been looking for a good strong oil for it since it only holds a litre and it's pretty much constantly run at redline. My local power sports store has ipone oil which seem to be pretty good and has a decent reputation especially in the dirt bike community. But I've been unable to find any hard evidence of its add pack. So my question is does anyone have any UOAs or VOAs of this oil? Have you used it? How do you like it? Thanks!

Apparently there are no VOA's or UOA's of this product, nor do they post any specifications on their website.

Since they are not a sponsor, all we can post is product specifications but I do not see any on their website.

Here's what I posted the last time Ipone oil was discussed.

Originally Posted by 02SE
A friend of mine was a distributor for them for several years, about 20 years ago. I used it as long as he was a distributor, as it did well in the shared-sump sportbikes, and dirtbike I had at the time.

After he dropped his distributorship, and finding the oil became difficult, I found I prefer the performance of Motul products. Which are what I use in my Sportbikes and dirtbike, today.

Hello Jottol1661,

congratulations on the new bike.

Ipone is easily available in Greece, once I was purchasing their oils and I tried extensively the 40 and 50wt versions because of the high temperatures that are common here.

When I also tried the respective hi-visc products from the known (described as boutique) companies I never looked back, because Ipone sheared in my motorbikes terribly (first bike aircooled-centrifugal shared sump clutch, second one liquid cooled, shared sump), with an average of 2,5-3km interval, and the oil consumption was high. Also engine cleanliness was inferior, same applies with the behavior of the clutch when shifting.
Specs were not available till around 2-3 years ago, you can find some in the french site
https://www.ipone.fr
I have made a small stash of this oil back in 2007, once I saw no specs were announced back then, I just never purchased it again.

Sorry of course I meant 2,5-3k km..
smile.gif

Hello KameleON,

engine cleanliness for me is a three way check as below (all the maintenance of the vehicles is carried out by me, same applies for the driving, oil selection, selection of petrol station etc). Taking these as givens:

1. evidence of carbon deposits on the valves that went away by using the higher quality oil.
2. I use a light color oil collector when draining the oil, which is thoroughly cleaned after change- by letting the oil sit (I always drain while hot) and then by transferring the oil to the bulk container for recycling, the residue (the non magnetic one-this you can separate by placing a Nd magnet under the plastic container) was a lot higher when I switched to oils superior in this regard to the above mentioned oil - this went away after 2-3 short OCI's and stabilized to a steady state. As I wrote above both vehicles have a wet sump.
3. In the air cooled one, when you drain the oil for the change, since the oil filling opening is around 30deg incline in relation to the perpendicular axis, if you place a strong flashlight you can see the oil pan from the inside without disassembling the engine. This also gives you a point regarding cleanliness.

Yes, it is not a UOA with particle count, but it is sufficient for me to understand which oil does a better job regarding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back