iPhone 5S Toughness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ever since the iPhone 5 came out, folks have known that the bezel around the screen is prone to scuffing/scratching and even getting dings and dents.

But my experience tonight has left me rather impressed... Totally stupid, I put my iPhone 5S on my trunk lid, and went around to air up my tires. I was in a rush, had to run inside for something, and figured Id grab the phone when I got back to the car... Yes, I forgot to grab the phone. A few miles away, I realized this, after stopping and searching my car. Idiot me.

So I drove back home, my wife was outside looking around and calling it. In the street, near my home, I saw it light up as I was driving by looking for it. Yes, operational.

Got out of the car to retrieve it. Two cars were coming at me. Four tires went over the phone, yes, at least two cars, quite possibly many more in the time between when it fell from my car to when I got back to it and found it, had driven over it.

The screen is still 100% in tact. Perfect. The fingerprint sensor works. The phone charges, calls, does data, etc. The rear is completely dented in and the rear camera is busted.

It had fallen on its back side onto a concrete roadway. As mentioned, at least two cars drove over top of it; I saw it with my own eyes.

I don't have access to a good camera right now, but it still works. Im amazed...

Not a quality photo, but you get the point...

iphone_zpsc1ca5e83.jpg

Yep I have dropped it about 30 times while working on cars with no case or screen protector barely any scratches and none on the screen

I'm still using a vintage iPhone 3 and I've abused the heck out of it without a screen protector, box or anything. I hadn't heard anything about the 5's toughness but if you were to judge by everyone carrying their phone wrapped in a suit of armor you quickly get that impression. Great story too BTW
smile.gif

Glad it works and my wife found iPhone's are very tough.

My wife dropped a iPhone 5 between the stairwell(open area) at her work. The phone free falled 4 floors down down center before bouncing down an entire set of stair for a flight. It did have otterbox defender and it simply rebooted and has a slight chip in the black plastic.

That is impressive. I have an otter box on mine and I worry more about dropping it into water than anything else. We lost an ipod touch in the washing machine... Looks perfect but its dead.

ouch, no way I would have guessed that it still worked. I have only lost one phone, and that was because it went in the washing machine.

Maybe Apple will give you a free replacement in exchange for the publicity value of your story and the photo.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I wonder if you can find a drowned iPhone move the guts over and trade up?

Crush and puncture tests are normal ways to invoke abusive faults in Li-ion batteries. This one has seen at least 1000lbf. I think Ill pay the $269.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Maybe Apple will give you a free replacement in exchange for the publicity value of your story and the photo.

I wish, no dice...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Crush and puncture tests are normal ways to invoke abusive faults in Li-ion batteries. This one has seen at least 1000lbf. I think Ill pay the $269.

I wish, no dice...

Is $269 to repair this? This phone is at least $650 retail.

Wow -- that hurts. I once drove over an old Motorola Razr -- which was in pouch. It too worked fine. The front display (LCD) cracked, but I found a replacement on ebay for a few bucks.

a friend of mine ran over his Otterbox equipped 4s with his F250. The screen shattered, but was still usable. I was suprised it worked at all with a vehicle so heavy flattening it like a pancake.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Impressive. Is the 5C similarly tough?

Yes, and probably tougher. Check out some YouTube videos where a guy takes a hammer on the 5s and 5c. The 5c came out tougher.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I wish, no dice...

Is $269 to repair this? This phone is at least $650 retail.

Yes, it cost me $269. Full disclosure - I dropped an impact wrench on my 64GB 5s a few months back, so this is the second one theyve done for me for this price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back