ipad mini. awesome. that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I was thinking about getting her one, but Im going to give her a rain check for when the retina display variant comes out...

Maybe you should ask her if she wants to wait.... :
whistle.gif
:

She doesnt know, and hasnt mentioned interest.

But we have been using facetime more and more, and on a phone, the screen is so tiny.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Besides playing games and movies on it, what does one do with a tablet?

It is very easy to access the web and email quickly. Very helpful when you have a kid that you don't have a continuous block of time to sit down and boot a laptop. It is also very convenient as a kid's video / story book player (but we try to keep our kid away from it as it is not a good toy for sensory activity).

I find that my wife's Ipad 2 is great for internet surfing, and using other social media. It’s definitely a much better alternative for traveling than laptop.

But trying to type on it is a pain IMO. I used it many times to post on BITOG and if you want to get more elaborate with your posts, like partially quoting someone, trying to get a link, copying and pasting, etc. is very time consuming and tedious.
This is most likely true for all tablets as nothing can really replace a full keyboard and a mouse.
Also, the browser has this annoying scrolling issue where if the page is not 100% loaded and you try to scroll down, it will bump it back up, very annoying.

Another thing that annoys me about iPad is its form factor. Sure it's looks nice and slick looking, but the flat backside is a pain to hold for a while in your hands and is very slippery. Putting on a cover helps, but it adds to its already hefty weight and the slick machine becomes bulky.
I can't say how the competition fares in that regard, but I think the back side of the iPad should be redesigned for more comfortable grip.

Edit:
These are my thoughts about regular iPad, iPad Mini will be probably much better and less tiring to hold as it's smaller and lighter.

Last edited:
When I got my iPad4 I played with the iPad mini.

I just don't get the size. I've got a Nexus 7 and that is a excellent form factor if you want a 7 inch unit. The mini is (for me) lost between the Nexus 7 size and full size iPad. Plus I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with what "features" Apple puts in their hardware and the price they charge.

The normal iPads (either full size or mini) don't have much use for travel compared to units like Nexus 7.

Glad that the OP is happy with his! They are about $150 too much IMB.. (again for me)

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
When I got my iPad4 I played with the iPad mini.

I just don't get the size. I've got a Nexus 7 and that is a excellent form factor if you want a 7 inch unit. The mini is (for me) lost between the Nexus 7 size and full size iPad. Plus I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with what "features" Apple puts in their hardware and the price they charge.

The normal iPads (either full size or mini) don't have much use for travel compared to units like Nexus 7.

Glad that the OP is happy with his! They are about $150 too much IMB.. (again for me)

Take care, Bill

understood. I think I said a friend of mine has the nexus7 and I thought it was a little small. the mini for me is like the goldilocks of tablets...
battery life is amazing; contiuous use today playing music and games. first music at work, then music and games while traveling today, almost 12 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back