Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhh happy days! Oil is negative a barrel. Indexes should be down a lot more than they are. Lets see if we get a selloff at the close.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Ohhh happy days! Oil is negative a barrel. Indexes should be down a lot more than they are. Lets see if we get a selloff at the close.

As upside down as this market is, the dow will probably close up 1,000 points!

Still up from the low. I suppose you do know where the phrase happy days are here again came from don't you? That was the start of the great depression. After the market dipped, it came back up and that was a popular song as they thought the roaring 20's were back again, but it was only temporary as it eventually turned into the great depression.

What's probably appropriate is that we're in a bull or bear market every few days. Hard to know which is which.

On-line snip-it:

"Massive oil drop: The May contract for West Texas Intermediate, which expires on Tuesday, plunged more than 100% to settle at negative $37.63 per barrel. The negative impact on stocks from oil likely would have been worse were it not for lesser declines in oil contracts expiring during future months."

When will they pay us to buy gasoline.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Oil is back up to $38.63 a barrel at this moment.

Yea plus $38 from -$37 so that makes it +$1.xx. You misread it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Oil is back up to $38.63 a barrel at this moment.

Yeah don't think so, not anytime soon.

Oil is negative -8.50. They are paying you to take it. Its amazing gas isn't .80 a gallon.

That is not how oil futures work.

It is just a game of hot potato right now with futures oil contracts. Companies are trying to get rid of contracts for oil they have no where to put. Production has only been cut by 10 mbpd, and consumption is down 25 mpbd. It is like a bath tub is starting to overflow, so you only turn the tap half way off. It is still going to keep overflowing.

I heard they have to keep pumping oil or they will loose the well ?

Either way..... the entire economy is in shambles.

Only government intervention has prevented a total collapse of the markets.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Oil is negative -8.50. They are paying you to take it. Its amazing gas isn't .80 a gallon.

That is not how oil futures work.

It is just a game of hot potato right now with futures oil contracts. Companies are trying to get rid of contracts for oil they have no where to put. Production has only been cut by 10 mbpd, and consumption is down 25 mpbd. It is like a bath tub is starting to overflow, so you only turn the tap half way off. It is still going to keep overflowing.

Well said ..

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Interesting thought on the "well"

and the economy, ahh yes, I agree more then 100%. Honestly many are living in a bubble, too ignore we are in a depression without money printing presses running day and night and massive borrowing, so massive we dont even understand all of it by the government.
Honestly? I think we have been in a recession for years (follow me on this thought), the whole economy being pumped up by the Fed and massive USA borrowing = massive USA debt that never gets paid back.
SO not technically in a recession for the last 8 years but if the government stopped borrowing and spending that extra TRILLION PLUS every year, then would we be able to say were weren't in a recession?

So Covid comes along and we double and triple the borrowing and triple the money printing ... its quite scary, For a decade now or more, the US economy keeps getting artificially inflated by the government. The day will come, I dont know when, where the country cant borrow anymore to pump it up and let it stand on its own two feet.

With that said, I go with the flow, maybe I will be long gone from this earth before the young people have to pay all this borrowing back, who knows but the day will come where the USA needs to address its debt load and as Americans just learned they need to control their immature borrowing, I find it SHOCKING that two months (and less) of a paycheck interruption, millions of American households are having trouble paying their mortgages and need government intervention in the mortgage business. Yet they all have new cars, TVs $200 internet and pay TV packages, heck they even finance washer, dryers, kitchen appliances and furniture now! My god.
I think these lessons, at least short term will teach some Americans to stop borrowing money for things they cant buy $40,000 automobiles when they have the income that should be supporting a $10,000 car.
That might send us deeper into a depression. Something will break the camels back some day.

No matter what the loan officer tells you or the credit card company tells you, if you need to borrow money to buy something, you can not afford it, that means, you are too immature to save and always go to someone else asking for a handout that you promise to payback. Remember kids like that in school??

My fear is the market is in fantasy land right now, how on earth are we even close to the DOW price of a year ago, to me, forecasting the next couple quarters I think it should be 15,000 if that.
Even though I say that, I will continue to stay fully invested because I learned not to buck the market and at the same time be defensive on what I buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

I find it SHOCKING that two months (and less) of a paycheck interruption, millions of American households are having trouble paying their mortgages and need government intervention in the mortgage business.

Even more shocking is the number of businesses that were 2 weeks away from bankruptcy and broke lease gone forever during this time.

Supposedly 80% of small businesses will exit if we have an additional 8 week shutdown

Last edited:
Rmay,

Half of all mom & pop type businesses have one foot in the grave and the other foot balancing on a banana peel. No joke.

Unemployment quickly approaching 30 Million but some folks on TV says everything is OK and expect a "V" shaped recover.
smirk.gif

Alarm guy,

I'm still 100% cash on the sidelines. Market realistically should be 12,000.

And I'm being very generous....

Human reaction - initial is DENIAL, we are in that phase, the fund guys say whatever they can pull out of their u know what.

40% of my fellow citizens have less than $500 in their bank account. I cringe to think what I would do if I were in their shoes. Last year I had my run in with fiscal crisis and I took steps to be solvent for 3 years at my current standards.

I would have locked into gold, how do go about investing in gold?

Ok big news: Bought two pump bottles of GermX at Walmart this morning … just $1.88 each

You can bet 30 minutes later they're out for a week.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ok big news: Bought two pump bottles of GermX at Walmart this morning … just $1.88 each

You can bet 30 minutes later they're out for a week.

lol.gif

Oil futures effect gas prices.

The market is slowly selling off which is a good sign. Things are so far out of wack its hard to figure out what will happen. Still trading XOM and AMD out of my trading capital. My other investments are in safe havens waiting for the signal to move them. We are still a long ways off of that time.

Are we tired of all the winning. :)

Are we tired of all the winning. :)

We were, until China's bio-weapon arrived. But don't let that fact bother your political commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back