*Investors Blog*

AT&T CEO (T) John Stankey is taking a cautious stance on the short-term outlook for an economy continuing to wade through high levels of inflation and a tick-up in layoffs.
"I would tell you right now, when you see the numbers coming in on inflation, it's hard to believe it's not going to have an impact at some point. And even if we miss a full-on recession, the question is, 'Is the growth strong enough to really supplant the high levels of inflation?' And we see more of a stagflation environment. But I think we're going to have to wade into the fourth quarter, first quarter of next year, to really see what the outcome of that game is," he said.

Baltic Dry Index is sinking signaling a lack of demand. Good for inflation, bad for corporate earnings.
Chart dry baltic index.jpg

Baltic Dry Index is sinking signaling a lack of demand. Good for inflation, bad for corporate earnings. View attachment 117811
Too many corporations and businesses are trying to ride the on-going inflation train to try and reap high profits. I think there's more profit reaping greed involved than actual "supply shortage" or "work force shortage".

TSMC is reporting chip order cuts due to decrease demand and corps hoarding chips. That ship probably sailed quite a while ago, but it’s an easy thing to blame your troubles on.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2022/09/08/2003784929
TSMC (pure-play foundry, not end user product) focuses on high end chips (industry and consumer electronic devices), but they do supply some of the big automotive industry players like Infineon, NXP, Renesas, TI and ST.
The automotive sector demand continues to grow. The additional problem is programming the firmware; this proved to be a huge problem for Ford and others. Tesla is the only car company that codes its own chips. They were able to repurpose existing available inventory during the past 2 years. Ford has plans to bring the software work in house, which is a very smart move.

Cars sales are below 2021 levels and have largely remained flat. We are entering into the slow months, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that the “automotive sector continues to grow” from.
Do you mean new cars use significantly more chips than in 2021, 2020? Is that the growth you’re referring to?

C4C0C0E6-D0AC-4FF7-8F40-A7C7D7028E46.jpeg

Cars sales are below 2021 levels and have largely remained flat. We are entering into the slow months, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that the “automotive sector continues to grow” from.
Do you mean new cars use significantly more chips than in 2021, 2020? Is that the growth you’re referring to?

View attachment 117861
Automotive Chip Shortage Update
I am saying there is still a shortage. That's a key supply chain issue that is expected to be around through next year.
Inventories will remain low until supply chain issues are sorted. Look at car prices across the board.

The five year chart on F shows the Fickle Finger of Fate.

My guess is that Ford will have to really cut back or be bought out.

I know that will cause some angst here.
Ford deserves what it gets. Story after story lately about how mismanaged Ford has been these past few years. From pushing out known and critical design flaws in an effort to stay on time to too many new and revised vehicles in too short a time to penny-pinching suppliers resulting in either crappy parts or suppliers who fill Ford's order last, they are a train wreck.

Last edited:
Automotive Chip Shortage Update
I am saying there is still a shortage. That's a key supply chain issue that is expected to be around through next year.
Inventories will remain low until supply chain issues are sorted. Look at car prices across the board.

It’s a shortage in the sense that the supply went to others because car companies cut their chip orders in early 2020. So it is an issue of their own doing, but they like to cry about it as if it was outside of their control. They screwed up, plain and simple.

It’s a shortage in the sense that the supply went to others because car companies cut their chip orders in early 2020. So it is an issue of their own doing, but they like to cry about it as if it was outside of their control. They screwed up, plain and simple.
Yup...they nickeled and dimed chip suppliers and they said fine you move to the back of the line. Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I was very disappointed with only 75. ☹️

Staying behind the inflation curve is like a nurse giving you a shot in the bum by pushing the needle in very slowly with pauses in between.

A decisive person would take the medicine straight away.

As a radio host I listen to said the other day, we will have take the syrup of ipecac.

Back