*Investors Blog*

Some do not understand how to adapt. They continue their usual spending ways and suddenly realize their money won’t make it.
The average recession since 1950 has lasted 10 months with a range between 2 and 18 months. For all the fear that I've heard going into every single one since the 1980's their bark seems worse than their bite. This observation comes from someone who grew up in a very blue-collar house where my parents worked on a factory floor in the 80's and 90's. As a white-collar business owner, I heard nothing but fear in 2008 and little changed for me or anyone around me during that recession. Sure, job loss can be devastating and recessions can precipitate that happening but it just hasn't been my experience with myself, my family, or my friends. From my perspective they come, it's all fear and doom and gloom on the news, and they go followed by a really robust economic period.

The average recession since 1950 has lasted 10 months with a range between 2 and 18 months. For all the fear that I've heard going into every single one since the 1980's their bark seems worse than their bite. This observation comes from someone who grew up in a very blue-collar house where my parents worked on a factory floor in the 80's and 90's. As a white-collar business owner, I heard nothing but fear in 2008 and little changed for me or anyone around me during that recession. Sure, job loss can be devastating and recessions can precipitate that happening but it just hasn't been my experience with myself, my family, or my friends. From my perspective they come, it's all fear and doom and gloom on the news, and they go followed by a really robust economic period.

I agree with everything you said but some folks don’t save when times are good and are quickly in financial ruin when they loose a job. Look at all the big tech jobs being cut by the thousands, these are not low paying retail dead end jobs.

There will be more job cuts in 2023 and lots of companies cutting headcount.

Last edited:
CNBC: Grayscale refuses to share proof of reserves due to 'security concerns' as shares trade at a 45% discount to bitcoin.
Yeah, GrayScale GBTC has caught my attention, not that I am, GM caught my attention too and missed that move. 45% discount is nice but like every investment the uncertainty being they are trying to become an ETF. Yet maybe a better than average roll of the dice... who knows.
I haven't followed it much but did own it quite a while ago/

GON

$100 Site Donor 2023
Yeah, GrayScale GBTC has caught my attention, not that I am, GM caught my attention too and missed that move. 45% discount is nice but like every investment the uncertainty being they are trying to become an ETF. Yet maybe a better than average roll of the dice... who knows.
I haven't followed it much but did own it quite a while ago/
AG,

Just buy Berkshire and worry about your next boat or vacation. GBTC, GM- buying them is work and a tax on one's brain.

AG,

Just buy Berkshire and worry about your next boat or vacation. GBTC, GM- buying them is work and a tax on one's brain.
Agree, I do have a couple accounts, one 401 in funds and a Roth in stable stocks, TMUS, WMT and WFC // but then there is that little play money, helps one stay in touch with the market but Im not looking to risk my future because those two are a tax for sure!

Reactions: GON
Some folks were dumb and actually got a HELOC to buy crypto and others put large sums of money hoping for this stuff would make them wealthy.

There were folks on YouTube getting paid $50K a month to pump FTX up.

A fool and his money…..

I will bet that they didn’t realize they could lose their money but also that they still had to pay it back with interest.

Where can I sign up? :oops:
I would recon that you would need a finance / crypto YouTube Channel with at least 500K plus subscribers. Channels with 1MM + are probably getting the full $50k. Those guys are already making 5-6 figures a month anyway.

g1JvoN4smsg0c4iA.jpeg

So I have to wonder how all this wealth destruction is going to play out.

Trillions in stocks, but a lot of stock growth is all paper wealth anyway, so meh.

Bonds have lost trillions on their face. Yes you can hold them to maturity but you don't keep up with inflation. A lot of bonds are held by pension funds, and a lot by hedge funds and big banks to use as collateral - so there balance sheets are now trash.

Crypto - a lot of that was real money poured in by people especially with all the stimulus sloshing around through the pandemic.

I wonder how many trillions have really evaporated?

Warstud

I bought some VALE the other day which is a Brazilian mining company that struck a deal with GM to provide them with nickel for there EV batteries and are currently working with Tesla. Pays a 9.34% dividend