*Investors Blog*

I hate this stock, love the products.
I took the cash from my sale of GM last week at a nice profit.

Bought Apple today @
View attachment 213752

I dont know why I did it, hope I dont regret it. Just a play on a beaten down languishing over sized tech stock but once those magic words of AI came out ... well, we will see... hope I dont regret it. Hoping for short term, not long, just didnt want money sitting on the side. I have had Apple symbol on my smart phone for years now, never bought it. My gut says they have real issues but the P/E reflects that for a tech stock.

Figure it will give time for GM to maybe continue to get smacked down again, as they do so well, then maybe trade the APPL back to GM soon or never who knows.

Idiot? Yes__ or No ___

(I wish I jsut let the cash sit on the side for now, unless it goes up from here *LOL*)
It's been a tough 3 years, since the split. Last year, I was set to sell a small percent, and buy NVDA when it was around 250.00. But was convinced it was already in 'bubble' territory. LOL.

Edit: I've never owned an Apple product, just the stock. LOL

I sold my Berkshire Hathaway yesterday and rolled the proceeds into Apple stock. Apple is down from its highs, but seems to be on the rebound. I started thinking about Apple products and their buyers. I have no particular love for their stuff, but a lot of people do. And I started thinking about those people. They can't afford a nice house. They can't afford a nice car. But they can afford a nice phone. So instead of buying a new car every two years, they buy a new phone. Likely an Apple.
Did you know >>> Apple is 50% of Berkshire Hathaways Portfolio ?

I wonder how many of those who convinced themselves that there will be no rate cuts at all are shorting the market. They should go big with a 3X bear fund.
I have a VIX ETN. Posted about it here a few months ago. Its sort of like shorting the market. It was up 10% today. Just about brings me back to my cost basis :ROFLMAO:

I had offset it with a much larger position in a 2X S&P500 ETF. It was still up about 5%. I sold about half. I will either rid the Vix ETN or get out of that trade, at least for a couple weeks. Yields / JPN make me nervous currently.

This is CROX the clog maker . WOW

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 21-41-17 CROX - Crocs Inc Stock Price and Quote.jpg

I have a VIX ETN. Posted about it here a few months ago. Its sort of like shorting the market. It was up 10% today. Just about brings me back to my cost basis :ROFLMAO:

I had offset it with a much larger position in a 2X S&P500 ETF. It was still up about 5%. I sold about half. I will either rid the Vix ETN or get out of that trade, at least for a couple weeks. Yields / JPN make me nervous currently.

I still believe things will correct after the election is over.

Too early for that VIX short, SQQQ or any other similar trade.

Big Guy on TV keeping the economy firing on all cylinders and low unemployment. :cool:

Boss called me today and said I got a 7.5% raise this year.

Inflation is still high and my raise isn’t really noticeable.
Yeah more than I got too. If you google and look what Towers Watson said raises would be, that's what I got. If I were you, I'd be very happy, seems like you're not. Do you think it should have been 15%?

Also, our bonuses were less than last year, even though the target is the same (this implies the pool is less--I learned it could be said your bonus is a target of 8%. You look at your number and it's 16. That means someone got nothing, etc.).

Seriously, punch in your salary today, and use a cpi inflation calculator and take it back to the year you started working. It could be very surpising, not in a good way lol

2021 was a record year for my co. (pandemic caused profits and revenue to go through the roof), raises and bonuses showed that. 2022 less, 2023 even less yet. We're in a recession so I'm not complaining.

p.s. on the investment front the vmWare takeover killed me (I chose Broadcom stock which is cash plus stock that was a super gain) in that my cost is reported as $0 on my 1099. I have to figure this one out maybe today or tomorrow--there is a way for me to correct it and I do know my cost. I'm thinking for the 1099 to report $0, is sorta like if a person transferred securities to a broker, where they took them from another broker. They're not going to know what the cost basis was. It's f'd up I've never not gotten a refund in 30 years, now I owe a huge amount and it's even estimating payments for 2024 (Turbo Tax). This is why I've said for an ordinary bloke, sometimes owning mutual funds and being indexed is fine.

p.s. on the investment front the vmWare takeover killed me (I chose Broadcom stock which is cash plus stock that was a super gain) in that my cost is reported as $0 on my 1099. I have to figure this one out maybe today or tomorrow--there is a way for me to correct it and I do know my cost. I'm thinking for the 1099 to report $0, is sorta like if a person transferred securities to a broker, where they took them from another broker. They're not going to know what the cost basis was. It's f'd up I've never not gotten a refund in 30 years, now I owe a huge amount and it's even estimating payments for 2024 (Turbo Tax). This is why I've said for an ordinary bloke, sometimes owning mutual funds and being indexed is fine.
Guessing based on what you posted your cost basis was marked as unknown on your 1099 and therefore reported as $0. Check out form 8949 and look up "form 8949 to correct cost basis".

Yeah more than I got too. If you google and look what Towers Watson said raises would be, that's what I got. If I were you, I'd be very happy, seems like you're not. Do you think it should have been 15%?

Also, our bonuses were less than last year, even though the target is the same (this implies the pool is less--I learned it could be said your bonus is a target of 8%. You look at your number and it's 16. That means someone got nothing, etc.).

Seriously, punch in your salary today, and use a cpi inflation calculator and take it back to the year you started working. It could be very surpising, not in a good way lol

2021 was a record year for my co. (pandemic caused profits and revenue to go through the roof), raises and bonuses showed that. 2022 less, 2023 even less yet. We're in a recession so I'm not complaining.

Mine hasn't kept up through the pandemic either. They have found a couple other ways to screw everyone along the way. The price our customers pay have kept up ++.

I have kids in college. In a year or two I will be free to move, do whatever, and if there is going to be a recession it will have happened - I don't want to be the new guy when a recession hits. I think at that point I will be hanging out my shingle to see whom is interested.

Guessing based on what you posted your cost basis was marked as unknown on your 1099 and therefore reported as $0. Check out form 8949 and look up "form 8949 to correct cost basis".
I think you are correct, or, JPM had a widespread problem. Because I did purchase the shares with the same account. At any rate everything seems to say I can correct it.

To your point I had to transfer all my securities to Vanguard when my wife got a job there. They don’t know the cost basis for any of the holdings, not one. I hadn’t given it any thought and one day I need to be prepared also for the 1099’s to have $0 as the cost basis….

I think you are correct, or, JPM had a widespread problem. Because I did purchase the shares with the same account. At any rate everything seems to say I can correct it.

To your point I had to transfer all my securities to Vanguard when my wife got a job there. They don’t know the cost basis for any of the holdings, not one. I hadn’t given it any thought and one day I need to be prepared also for the 1099’s to have $0 as the cost basis….
Not sure when the shares were transferred/how old the shares are but for FWIW, brokers were forced to start reporting cost basis back in the early 2010s, I think that applied to broker to broker transactions but I could be wrong. In any event, it doesn't help you this April 15th but I would assume there would be a way to record your cost basis with Vanguard? I'm primarily with Fidelity and they allow you to self report if needed, believe on the 1099 it'll just note that it is self reported. Worth looking into for future years.

I had a similar frustrating experience around 2015. Company I worked for at the time had an ESPP facilitated through BNY Mellon with terrible transaction fees (something like $40 a transaction and maybe something per share, could have just been a flat $40). When I transferred my shares to Fidelity, BNY did not communicate the cost basis. What a mess to document a few years of purchases and divendends reinvested in shares.

Good luck!

Wow. DJT issued 10 million new shares and down 17% today. I guess its on a bullet train headed straight to penny stock land. There really isnt any other outcome.

Getting an itchy trigger finger..........come on JACK EM UP. Do it!!!!

• Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (NASDAQ:BND).
  • iShares Core U.S. Aggregate Bond ETF (NYSEARCA:AGG).
  • Vanguard Total International Bond ETF (BNDX).
  • iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT).
  • iShares 10-20 Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLH).
  • iShares 7-10 Year Treasury Bond ETF (IEF).
  • iShares 3-7 Year Treasury Bond ETF (IEI).
  • iShares 1-3 Year Treasury Bond ETF (SHY).

Last edited:
Back