Investing Strategies. What is your move?

Disney attendance is down, are people cutting back on non essential spending ?

I'm happy to hear that. Roy Disney wanted his parks to be affordable for the regular people....Eisner, Iger etc...have made them anything but that.

In analyzing the current market conditions, the yield curve inverted 15 months ago, and on average recessions start 18 months after it first inverts, so that would be Oct 2023 when historically a recession would occur.

Also, Jerome Powell has stated his commitment to raise interest rates 1 to 2 more times this year, and that rate cuts are out of the question for a long time.

The markets have melted up at levels that seem unjustified.

My personal opinion is that markets will reach new 52 week lows during the 12 months when the recession hits.
My plan is to be safely out of the market to avoid the losses, and then start buying once everything goes on sale.

In analyzing the current market conditions, the yield curve inverted 15 months ago, and on average recessions start 18 months after it first inverts, so that would be Oct 2023 when historically a recession would occur.

Also, Jerome Powell has stated his commitment to raise interest rates 1 to 2 more times this year, and that rate cuts are out of the question for a long time.

My personal opinion is that markets will reach new 52 week lows during the 12 months when the recession hits.
My plan is to be safely out of the market to avoid the losses, and then start buying once everything goes on sale.

You have to take profits if you start getting antsy.

JP is trying to salvage his reputation and legacy.

He should have been raising rates in 2021.

Jerome Powell does not need to "salvage" anything. Powell has threaded the needle about as good as anyone could have while dealing with the hyper inflationary policies of the current administration. He is tasked with trying to contain the fire the current President lit and poured gas on. Powell maintained ~2% (or less) up until then, and he is bringing inflation back down rapidly without wrecking the economy. A mild recession is probable, but if that is all that ultimately happens Jerome Powell will have a stellar historical legacy.

Hmm. I noticed the stock that I was holding had a good day before, so on Friday I thought I'd see if I could capture some gain. Put to sell at a number I thought it might do... watched as it dropped all day. Oh well, sit and hold I guess. But on Sat I got an email saying it sold, but won't be processed until Tues? weird. But I did snag it at a good price, so I can't complain, as long as it went through.

Debating what I'll do. Am thinking CD's as I suspect some portion is going out in the next few months as the oldest is getting ready for college. Don't know if I want to do a CD ladder but I think CD's wiser than doing day trading, as I have no background in that, and this is money I might need inside of a year. Pick short term CD's for minor gain. Try to pick maturity dates for when I need the money.

Maybe I could try to find something to dabble in, money I don't need over the next year. Will think hard before doing that of course. Market too volatile, and I'm getting into an expensive time of life (teen drivers and teens headed to college).

Jerome Powell does not need to "salvage" anything. Powell has threaded the needle about as good as anyone could have while dealing with the hyper inflationary policies of the current administration. He is tasked with trying to contain the fire the current President lit and poured gas on. Powell maintained ~2% (or less) up until then, and he is bringing inflation back down rapidly without wrecking the economy. A mild recession is probable, but if that is all that ultimately happens Jerome Powell will have a stellar historical legacy.
This is always a tough crowd. Perhaps a little late to the party, I agree that Powell has handled this about as well as anyone could, not that many here will see it. I mean, so many here still think the economy is in terrible shape as they're gainfully employed, inflation is coming down quickly, gas is reasonably cheap again, and as a bonus, they're riding their +10% YTD returns.

Back