Investing Strategies. What is your move?

At the end of the year you made more money than you lost.

I admit every year I lose some money, luckily I don’t worry about it because the gains outweigh the losses.
In that case the actual value of the account is irrelevant, just that it went up right?

My financial advisor called me yesterday afternoon to chat. Haven't talked to him for almost a year. He had no answers but the discussion was amicable. I did tell him wasn't worried, 'We have the best government money can buy'(Twain) and things have a way of taking care of themselves.

Think that made him feel better than it did me.

How much does a person need in their brokerage account to be considered a ‘successful’ investor ?

$1M….. $2M….. $5M…., etc… ?

I‘m wondering what’s the correct balance needed.
That depends on how long you have been in the market. And a ton of luck. I also believe it depends on one’s needs and wants. The beauty of long term is, once you get to a good point, you do not need to sweat the losses. Let’s say you are at $10M, and pandemic hits and you go down to $6M. Who cares? (Besides your heirs.) By that time your properties are paid for, etc. And you still have $6M!
Long term, bro. Short term is a blip on the radar.

For everyone, please understand, no one knows or understands the market. Otherwise they would be the richest, most popular, #1 advisor. The smartest mathematics minds have programmed the best hardware with all kinds of data. No one can predict the future.

I wish you all luck in you investing. The best advice is always invest in yourself.

My UBS account declined 40%. Unfortunately, I had to pay $8000 worth of 2022 taxes on dividends and stock sales on this managed account.

It never ceases to amaze me how my account can lose so much value, and yet I still pay a stunningly high tax rate on the few items that made a profit. The losses of sold items did not offset the gains.

Any way you slice it, I lose.

My UBS account declined 40%. Unfortunately, I had to pay $8000 worth of 2022 taxes on dividends and stock sales on this managed account.

It never ceases to amaze me how my account can lose so much value, and yet I still pay a stunningly high tax rate on the few items that made a profit. The losses of sold items did not offset the gains.

How much would you need to retire today and never work another day ?

Ballpark figure ?

That depends on how long you have been in the market. And a ton of luck. I also believe it depends on one’s needs and wants. The beauty of long term is, once you get to a good point, you do not need to sweat the losses. Let’s say you are at $10M, and pandemic hits and you go down to $6M. Who cares? (Besides your heirs.) By that time your properties are paid for, etc. And you still have $6M!
Long term, bro. Short term is a blip on the radar.

Trust me, I’m definitely keeping my eyes on the radar.

Lots of official data is not accurate, fuzzy math, manipulation, etc…..

I recently sent some PMs out and hopefully they take what I said seriously.

It has been shown time and time again that passive investing outperforms active/managed investing precisely for this reason. So much gets eaten up by transaction fees and taxes.

It has been shown time and time again that passive investing outperforms active/managed investing precisely for this reason. So much gets eaten up by transaction fees and taxes.

Sometimes active/managed fund advisors might take on too much risk, investments with high fees and/or they might churn the account.

This is not advice, but that 40% lost can be made up during the next downturn and recession.

Amazon laying off 20,000+employees, they are the king of crunching economic data.

Last edited:
How much would you need to retire today and never work another day ?

Ballpark figure ?

*** Clarification ***

I‘m not asking dollar amount.

Just wondering if 2X or 3X Cujet’s current account balance is needed in the very near future to retire.

Buying wide market mutual funds was the 2nd smartest investment move I ever made.

Dumping most all my wide market mutual funds was the smartest investment move I ever made.

Those funds don’t give the investor the diversification they used to. The S&P 500 is really controlled by a handful of stocks.

The markets are transforming and even John Bogle spoke about it and not in a positive way.

I’m interested - what stories do you hear and see? I ask because here in central MA it’s life as usual. No one is getting laid off. Businesses are doing well. No one is being foreclosed on. Ok, some oversized companies who serviced the CV-19 sit at home and order things economy are correcting for bloat but what else is so concerning?

Is this narrative something you’re being told on TV or are you hearing/seeing first-person stories? As I said, I heard all of this in 2008 too and my life went on as usual. BTW…if you’re close to retirement I’m in no way second guessing “safe moves”. Just wonder if it’s different in other parts of the country because I’m sure it was different in other parts of the country in 2008 too.
Here is one example..wal mart. I went to wal mart two days in a row. Not busy either day. Needed 1.99 nail clippers. Locked up.

Very successful chain store, yet not busy, and even items likely viewed as not resellable are being locked up. Security at the front door. Brake cleaner twice as pricey as 18 months ago.

I can't explain it, maybe just zero competition. But as Pimtec observes, something sure seems off.

One item that gives me hope is when I compare the Singapore dollar to the USD not much of a change over the past five years.

Singapore is a very tightly run country, and such a small country they can take actions to truly make a big difference. Yet the trading range between the Singapore dollar and us dollar have stayed in somewhat synchronized ranges.

*** Clarification ***

I‘m not asking dollar amount.

Just wondering if 2X or 3X Cujet’s current account balance is needed in the very near future to retire.
I have enough to retire now. I will say that UBS has been awful, and has been a financial disaster. The good news is UBS is money I was somewhat willing to risk.

Things at work are interesting, I have cut back my hours and trips, and I do want to see how it plays out. I really, really like the family I work for. However, as of April 2023, my salary is inadequate and my expenses now outpace my income. I am actively looking at ways to cut back. So far, I've been able to cut $25/month from my expenses :) (true, but a little joke, as there is not much I can cut out without losing internet, AC or some other normal item)

My point of view is this, at no point should I be "dipping" into retirement savings to "get by" while still working.

Here is one example..wal mart. I went to wal mart two days in a row. Not busy either day. Needed 1.99 nail clippers. Locked up.

Very successful chain store, yet not busy, and even items likely viewed as not resellable are being locked up. Security at the front door. Brake cleaner twice as pricey as 18 months ago.

I can't explain it, maybe just zero competition. But as Pimtec observes, something sure seems off.
I get a daily newsletter from Morningbrew called Money Scope and they always have some little factoids to start before a series of stories. Today's factoids show signs of life:

83.1%​

The pandemic—and the Great Resignation that came with it—had hiring managers belting out, “Where have all the good men employees gone?” Well, it doesn’t matter anymore because as of March, we’re officially back. Labor force participation has rebounded to pre-pandemic levels, and the share of prime-age workers in the workforce is now 83.1%, breaking past February 2020’s 83.0%.

0.4%​

For the first time in three years, US rents fell year over year, per a Redfin report. The median asking rent was down a whole 0.4% in March (compared to the same month in 2022), landing at $1,937—the lowest median we’ve seen in 13 months. Austin and Chicago saw the largest declines in rent over the last year, while Raleigh and Cleveland had the most aggressive gains.

Here in central MA stores are busy, restaurants are busy, the airport was busy, I don't know anyone being laid off, we are getting good applicants again at my business, and life is unusually..."normal". I say that knowing we are likely not out of the woods yet but that is my honest observation for today.

I have enough to retire now. I will say that UBS has been awful, and has been a financial disaster. The good news is UBS is money I was somewhat willing to risk.

Things at work are interesting, I have cut back my hours and trips, and I do want to see how it plays out. I really, really like the family I work for. However, as of April 2023, my salary is inadequate and my expenses now outpace my income. I am actively looking at ways to cut back. So far, I've been able to cut $25/month from my expenses :) (true, but a little joke, as there is not much I can cut out without losing internet, AC or some other normal item)

My point of view is this, at no point should I be "dipping" into retirement savings to "get by" while still working.
UBS is now buying Credit Suisse - that's a match made in heaven.

Back