Investing Strategies. What is your move?

Who is Michael Burry, and why should we care what he does?
He's a billionaire investor you can google search at any moment. He shorted the housing market after predicting it would crash along with the stock market and won. Now he's doing it again with 1.6 billion after 15 years which he would only do for a good reason.

I'm not aware that sports teams played a major role in local Real Estate markets. Especially to the extent of causing a depression. Please explain!
Having all the LA people move here is ok, but the Oakland rabble chasing their losing sports teams will surely impact both productivity and crime. I am kidding, I am kidding.

You might be right.

I am not trying to be a pest, but pretty strong predictions are made, doesn't happen, then silence then more predictions. Yes it's pretty interesting reading, but without the "why" we are left hanging and such predictions start to look a bit silly.

Do I think the USA is in the hopper? A real dumpster fire? Yes, of course. Look at the clowns in charge. But as you say "can't invest that way". The thing is the rate jacking has helped in some ways to slow inflation, but I remain - low rates were not the root cause of the recent inflation. They can be an adder to inflation. But not the root cause. Easy lending money doesn't help. But IF the economy alone is stable, the market sets the rates, interest rates alone are neither inflationary or deflationary. Rates were low for quite awhile, inflation was in check.

Printing money is inflationary. Making dollars from vapor is. Government spending money they don’t have is. All inflationary.

The problem is now - some people figured they better get off the C dole, businesses who were absolutely abused by the shut down , they are trying to crank. Some need money to crank. But that money is now more expensive, so they must jack prices. Energy instability hurts. Leaders taking credit for jobs? Largest joke on the planet.

My main move worked out OK. Investing in BDC's while jacking rates was very very good to me. BXSL, TRIN, FSK, MAIN, etc nice fat returns. My muni bonds have been abusive, but keep paying me tax free.
Oh for sure, we are on the same page for the most part. I look at the Fed as trying to contain the disaster that comes from Washington spending and borrowing, absolutely, printing money, heck even the stimulus spending to insane levels. What will we correct if the people of the nation never experience being uncomfortable? Answer, sooner or later we will hit a brick wall and be forced to become really uncomfortable, that is when the house of cards comes down.
(this isnt meant to be a political statement, after all, we vote for it)

I'm not aware that sports teams played a major role in local Real Estate markets. Especially to the extent of causing a depression. Please explain!
I sure wouldn't decided to move some place based on the sports teams in the area, lol.

Reactions: CKN
He's a billionaire investor you can google search at any moment. He shorted the housing market after predicting it would crash along with the stock market and won. Now he's doing it again with 1.6 billion after 15 years which he would only do for a good reason.
He has been spectacularly wrong a few times lately too.

He has been spectacularly wrong a few times lately too.
Yeah and that's gonna happen. It's impossible to be right 100% of the time. But if someone can put up the 1.6 billion in buying power that they got by using their strategy they've clearly been right a lot more times than wrong in their decision making they'll likely be right again on not all but definitely most of those short positions.

Oh for sure, we are on the same page for the most part. I look at the Fed as trying to contain the disaster that comes from Washington spending and borrowing, absolutely, printing money, heck even the stimulus spending to insane levels. What will we correct if the people of the nation never experience being uncomfortable? Answer, sooner or later we will hit a brick wall and be forced to become really uncomfortable, that is when the house of cards comes down.
(this isnt meant to be a political statement, after all, we vote for it)

Basically rip the Band-Aid off even if it’s going to be painful.

I've made money on Visa in the past but sold some time ago. I don't really watch it anymore. I used to think they will always make money (kinda true)

Anyway, peripherally related, this is quite and interesting quick read.

Many underestimate how many people use their credit cards for everyday purchases and for bill paying, especially on autopay.

On the flip side businesses are adding fees for CC use and some companies have made changes to autopay limiting the service to debit cards or direct bank account access.

Many underestimate how many people use their credit cards for everyday purchases and for bill paying, especially on autopay.

On the flip side businesses are adding fees for CC use and some companies have made changes to autopay limiting the service to debit cards or direct bank account access.
The good news, a decent chunk of folk pay off the balance every month.

I've made money on Visa in the past but sold some time ago. I don't really watch it anymore. I used to think they will always make money (kinda true)

Anyway, peripherally related, this is quite and interesting quick read.

Yes, I looked into those stats a while back and was quite surprised. If you listen to the media, everyone has cc debt, everyone has student loan debt, etc. More rubbish drummed up by DC. It seems most people are quite responsible with their money.

Another one that surprised me is 20% of new car buyers pay cash. I always figured that number would be next to nothing. When I did it in 2019 the dealer didn't act surprised at all.

Well, last year and earlier this year everyone and his brother were shouting, "Recession!"
Well, inflation has been on the decline, pretty rapidly, and unemployment is low.
This is the definition of a soft landing.

IMO, some posters seem to live in the short term; I am built for the long term.
There are business and economic cycles. My portfolio is geared for the long term and is doing just fine. I hope your's is too.
Long term can have losing streaks too. Especially as the US influence weakens, China’s deflating, etc. lots of headwinds all at once. It’s worthwhile to consider everything, not just play the eternal optimist. USA is probably the world safe haven for the foreseeable future, but it doesn’t mean that 10-20 years of downside are impossible, given the wide range of issues everyone is facing and have to pay for (or dissolve)…

Long term can have losing streaks too. Especially as the US influence weakens, China’s deflating, etc. lots of headwinds all at once. It’s worthwhile to consider everything, not just play the eternal optimist. USA is probably the world safe haven for the foreseeable future, but it doesn’t mean that 10-20 years of downside are impossible, given the wide range of issues everyone is facing and have to pay for (or dissolve)…
Long term will have losing streaks, no doubt.
I guess I am an eternal optimist, given where I was as compared to today.
The goal is to have a portfolio built for the long term because there will be down terms. My strategy is to minimize recurring costs so you can more easily ride out the lean times.
The opportunity cost of money teaches us to spend our hard earned money wisely; that means long term value.

Last edited:
I don't foresee a recession either -mainly because its an accounting gimmick anyway, or at least it is when your money supply was artificially inflated.

Anyone that says inflation is less, isn't paying attention. Yes, food and fuel have gone up and down (and are doing up again) but core remains high.

1692664470246.png

BTW - the fed likes to watch PCE. Its what Powell always references in his interviews, etc.

1692664515477.png

I personally don't think there is going to be a "landing" either way. I think were in for a much longer inflationary environment than most others do. I think its going to be much harder to put the inflation genie back in the bottle than the fed increasing rates a few times. That doesn't make me pessimistic. It does mean I am looking for inflation hedges however.

Also, those looking at a down months and saying see, its over - I refer you to the 1970's. It went up and down and all over.

1692664698343.png

I don't foresee a recession either -mainly because its an accounting gimmick anyway, or at least it is when your money supply was artificially inflated.

Anyone that says inflation is less, isn't paying attention. Yes, food and fuel have gone up and down (and are doing up again) but core remains high.

View attachment 174235
BTW - the fed likes to watch PCE. Its what Powell always references in his interviews, etc.

View attachment 174236

I personally don't think there is going to be a "landing" either way. I think were in for a much longer inflationary environment than most others do. I think its going to be much harder to put the inflation genie back in the bottle than the fed increasing rates a few times. That doesn't make me pessimistic. It does mean I am looking for inflation hedges however.

Also, those looking at a down months and saying see, its over - I refer you to the 1970's. It went up and down and all over.

View attachment 174237

I like to reference the secular bear market of 1966 to 1982. If you were at or near retirement during that period it was not good news.

“In January of 1966 the Dow Jones Industrial Average hit a level of 990. It would continue trading in a range of roughly 600 to 1,000 over the following 17 years. It once again reached 990 in December of 1982 before finally breaking out and heading higher.”

Back