interpreting oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent out oil for analysis for the first time and am looking for some good info to help me analyze the results. I am particularly interested in if I should be changing it more regularly or not. Also, they found some water in it(0.24%). I am guessing that it is related to the fact that the car gets driven about 12 miles (round trip) a day and barely gets up to running temp during the winter.

Also, you can't attach files on the forum can you? they must be linked?

Best was is to type out all the info on the report. That way, it doesn't disappear. Include info like you have above about how the vehicle is operated above or below the data.

Folks here will be able to give you some rough ideas of how you are doing.

Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
How much did it cost to have your oil analyzed?

Many folks use Blackstone Labs and purchase the standard analysis ($22):
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php

You can also purchase additional tests on top of the standard, here is their pricing on those tests:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests-price-list.php

TBN is a popular additional test:
Quote:
"What is a TBN, and who uses it? In short, a TBN (total base number) measures the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil. The TBN is useful for people who want to extend their oil usage far beyond the normal range."

More info on the TBN test here:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

I used small company in MI that I had the opportunity to tour in College. they are $17 including shipping both ways and sample bottle

elements(in PPM?)-
Cu-4, Fe-70, Cr-4, Al-9, Pb-1, Sn-0, Si-21, Ca-1445, Mg-24, Zn-767, P-604, Mo-22, B-11, Ag-0, Ni-1, Na-21, K-20

OTHER-
oxidation- 16
nitration- 0
sulfation- 20
water - 0.24%
antifreeze- 0
fuel- 0
soot% - 0.2
viscosity @100- 10.5

Mobil 1 lists viscosity of 11.3 @100. Is that drop acceptable? Are the numbers for oxidation, sulfation, nitration, and soot OK? what do they tell you and what are acceptable ranges?

You need to say what mileage is on the oil, the car it came from or truck, you dont need to tell us what oil brand it is as the figures give that away. My advice might be to switch to Havoline and do another analysis. You might have a clean engine now, which for some is the goal but those numbers are not very good.
54.gif

Iron looks alarmingly high, but without knowing the mileage, engine type, how its driven/used, oil type, etc. its impossible to draw too many conclusions. I would guess from the Zn and P that its an SM rated oil.

it is M1 5-30 from a 2008 Chevy HHR SS 2.0l turbo. I am guessing around 10K miles on the oil (unsure because I brought the car with the oil in it) changed it based on the OLM. the car had 31K when changed.

Just go to Murrays and get a good dino or a good syn like PP and change the oil. The iron is not very good but that might be a combo of many more miles than you think and the fact it is Mobil 1. Just check the uoa section might shed some light on your situation. Decide yourself.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Just go to Murrays and get a good dino or a good syn like PP and change the oil. The iron is not very good but that might be a combo of many more miles than you think and the fact it is Mobil 1. Just check the uoa section might shed some light on your situation. Decide yourself.
34.gif

I'm sorry, but be careful with this advice.

This is a 2.0-litre Turbo Ecotec. It requires a GM 4718M-certified full synthetic oil, NOT dino!

PP IS one of the oils on the list, as is Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Edge, and Mobil 1.

Results are high, but not catastrophic. Change the oil with a 4718M oil, run the OLM to maybe 50%, and re-sample to see how thew engine is doing. Some of the wear metal may be lingering break-in.

Originally Posted By: ACE120
it is M1 5-30 from a 2008 Chevy HHR SS 2.0l turbo. I am guessing around 10K miles on the oil (unsure because I brought the car with the oil in it) changed it based on the OLM. the car had 31K when changed.

Well, then its not SO bad for such a long interval on a turbo engine in a relatively heavy vehicle compared to what most turbo gasoline engines are asked to haul around. Change it a little sooner and get a trend on the iron from repeated tests.

Is that lab ISO? I assume not since it's not listed on their website.
What range of particle sizes do they pick up in their analysis?
What units are the oxidation & nitration? It's strange (to say the least) that nitration is 0.
How do they measure antifreeze - calculated like Blackstone?
What method is used to determine water?
How do they measure fuel?

Trending is very important as well. You want to keep the variables as constant as possible - this includes the lab.

M1 5w30 always shows high Iron. As soon as I seen the Fe I pretty much knew it was that oil. I am not a fan of that oil at all, but it has its fans. I'd switch to something else and never look back though.

Last edited:
I used small company in MI that I had the opportunity to tour in College. petroleum technologies they are $17 including shipping both ways and sample bottle

elements(in PPM?)-
Cu-4, Fe-70, Cr-4, Al-9, Pb-1, Sn-0, Si-21, Ca-1445, Mg-24, Zn-767, P-604, Mo-22, B-11, Ag-0, Ni-1, Na-21, K-20

OTHER-
oxidation- 16
nitration- 0
sulfation- 20
water - 0.24%
antifreeze- 0
fuel- 0
soot% - 0.2
viscosity @100- 10.5

Mobil 1 lists viscosity of 11.3 @100. Is that drop acceptable? Are the numbers for oxidation, sulfation, nitration, and soot OK? what do they tell you and what are acceptable ranges?

This really should be re-posted over on the UOA forum with a proper title (oil brand/visc, oil mileage and vehicle):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3

I used small company in MI that I had the opportunity to tour in College. petroleum technologies they are $17 including shipping both ways and sample bottle

elements(in PPM?)-

OTHER-
oxidation- 16
nitration- 0
sulfation- 20
water - 0.24%
antifreeze- 0
fuel- 0
soot% - 0.2
viscosity @100- 10.5

I would keep an eye on the NA, K and water. Negative for antifreeze but with NA and K that high.
21.gif

I would do a 5k run and resample to be sure the NA and K are gone since they are not native to M1. Make sure the engine had a long enough run to burn off any moisture before sampling.

You really should post your UOA with all the relevant information in the UOA section and you will receive allot better interpretation assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the miles on the oil. Like I said I bought the car used. The guy told me he used M1, and changed it when the OLM told him to. He drove a lot of highway miles. He owned it for 14 months and put 28,000 miles on it. I guess it is possible that it had only been changed once prior (15K miles between changes). The main point of me doing this is to determine at what point I should be changing it. I guess I will try 25% next and see how the numbers come out. FYI, I was pretty hard on the car when I first got it, taking people for test rides, LOL.

lOOKS BAD, I would do 4K next with a good real syn like M1 0w-40 or Motul X-Max BMW LL01 spec. Plain jane m1 5w-30 has been showing way above average wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back