Interesting SynLube information...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys i sent an email a while back to synlube and here is the reply:

"Do you have results of a 4-ball wear test on your motor oil? I couldn't find it on your website and I would like to do some comparing. Also because your oil is 50 weight, how would you rate its performance in turbocharged vehicles. Does it create more heat and friction?"

The only company in the world that promotes 4 ball wear test for motor oil is AMSOIL, the test is not in any International Specification for Motor Oil - it has NO RELEVANCE to engines -- it is useful ONLY for grease tests in ball bearings.

SynLube Lube-4-Life is Colloidal Lubricant, and is not a conventional lubricant so the 5W-50 specification is for "apparent" properties.

Our lubricants have been used in TATRA Paris-Dakar racing trucks which have V12 twin turbo engines (air cooled) that run typically at 325 F oil temperature - SynLube has improved the fuel economy by 7% and reduced the operating temperature by 45 F.

In INNOCENTI MINI De Tomaso Turbo, the turborarger life was extended from typical 18,000 mile life to over 45,000 miles. (DAIHATSU engine sold only in Japan and Italy)

We have several thousand customers with Mercedes Benz Turbo engines. Over hundred of them that have had no oil changes for over 165,000 miles and have over 300,000 to 450,000 miles on the original turbo and engine, so our product is well proven in turbo applications, the current formula has not been changes since 1985 - so if you buy SynLube today, you can expect the same results.

Most other oil companies change formulations every 2 to 3 years, so any past "experience" is totally irreverent, as the oil you buy today has no past history or relevant test data.

Syn-cerely

Miro Kefurt
SynLube, Inc.
synlube.com

[ April 15, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

"colloidal" *** is that??? Does the crankshaft colloidal with the rod bearings with the oil no longer has any film strength left? Relevant test data.....yeah...right....they just got better over the years. I guess that's why engines from the 30/40/50's usually rang up over a million miles....
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
"colloidal" *** is that???

I think this means it's got solid lubricants in the oil. None for me, thanks.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for sharing this. These are my feelings towards this oil and thinking:

It takes 30 mins to change the oil. Are we that F'en lazy today? Are you that stupid to try to run an oil that long in a MB or BMW and why on EARTH would you want to? One word: MORON. Some people are idiots.
rolleyes.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

It takes 30 mins to change the oil. Are we that F'en lazy today? Are you that stupid to try to run an oil that long in a MB or BMW and why on EARTH would you want to? One word: MORON. Some people are idiots.
rolleyes.gif

Buster,
A good salesman can sell anything. But don't call the purchasers names for purchasing a product,
nono.gif
rather educate all of us on why it is not the best choice. One of the reasons I cannot use it is my bypass filter would take out the powered graphite, powdered moly and teflon. So I would degrade their oil that way. Also cost is to high for me. Try that chain of though to educate us.

nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

rolleyes.gif

Well becuase you pay over $20 a quart for this oil, i don't think you would want to change it every 3,000 miles. Aren't we all about extending drains?? I run a bypass filter and don't plan to drain my oil anytime soon... Syn4Life also has a special oil filter with a magnet to trap wear metals so i dont think metals are going to get too high anyway in UOA. What we really need is a UOA of somebody running this oil for 50,000 with no change...

I have no direct experience with Synlube, so I have to ask:

OK, maybe the oil itself IS good 4-ever...but what about the additives that get depleted? What about contamination that the oil filter CAN'T filter out? What about TBN reduction?

Yeah, we ARE that lazy. Just take a job at a dealer or garage and you'll see what I mean.

Synlube is too expensive for me to bother with.
I'll stick with QS/M1.....

Other than hearsay, I can't wait until someone actually tests this oil.

Colloidal--graphite/teflon/moly.......

Love to know the basestocks that they are using.

quote:

the powered graphite, powdered moly and teflon

These elements mentioned above are reasons I would never use this oil. Another reason is, I just don't believe in it. I understand the concept behind it and have read prior posts on here before and to me, it's just a lazy man's oil. 10k mile drains are one thing, but to risk running an oil without changing it for 150k miles in a BMW is flat out nuts IMO. Extened drains IMO, are for Fleets. I personally am not interested in mega-extened drains but rather maximum protection and engine cleanliness above all else.
smile.gif

When your dropping $20k to $50k on a car today, ALL oils are cheap relatively speaking and I have no problems changing them at moderate drains, which I consider to be 5k to 10k miles.

If the oil is used in the Paris-Dakar Tatra's it must have something going for it IMO. As an avid P-D watcher each year I can't think of any tougher conditions for an oil. A VOA would be very interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
If the oil is used in the Paris-Dakar Tatra's it must have something going for it IMO. As an avid P-D watcher each year I can't think of any tougher conditions for an oil. A VOA would be very interesting.

Yeah, and SynLube can be claimed as perhaps the first synthetic oil since it's introduction in the 1960's...

I would try this oil out for you guys but infortunately i have a bypass filter so i cant
frown.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back