Interesting Fram filter: Jaguar/AM/RR/Bentley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Jaguars, Aston Martins, Rolls-Royces and Bentleys take a filter with a 1-12 UNF thread size, not the most common, though some earlier (air cooled 911s) Porsche's used the same thread.

One such filter is the Fram PH2995 Extra Guard (all orange, no grippy black coating at the top). I had looked at that filter in the past and the construction/workmanship was not too inspiring - looked similar to the - same application - Purolator (white can) filter.

It appears to have recently (since the Fram/Champion merger?) changed and I ended up buying one.

From the outside it appears to be built very similar to the Mobil 1 filters (can't tell about the media/inner construction until I cut it open) - it weighed about 2-3 times what a similar size PH8A filter weighs. The can did not flex at all when I pressed firmly with my hand - built like a tank. At least on the outside it appears to have been built by Champion using the same approach that they used for the Mobil 1 (and previously K&N and AC Delco Ultraguard) filters. Also has the same "Product of USA" and date code in yellow on the top.

It does have the correct standing (anti-suction?) tube at the center, similar to the Mann equivalent. It does have a bottom bypass - I would have preferred a top bypass, but I don't think it matters much these days.

I'll cut it open after I use it.

Last edited:
Alot of time, those specialty filters are very beefy and built nothing your run of the mill Frams- or any filter. You can see a lot of Ferrari engines with Fram filters, but those are either special built of sourced somehow. That's why they lack the grippy thing. I'd run it with confidence.

I could be wrong, but Motorking may have to chime in.

Here are some pictures.

1GQ7sC1

1GQ7byM

1GQ7klR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back