Interesting FaceBook argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBC News posted a report describing a study that showed that there is no link between the MMR Vaccine and autism, so I couldn't resist and made a critical comment about the anti-vaxxers in the comments. Interestingly enough, I was attacked by an anti-vaxxer who's Facebook profile lists him as a "President" of a very well known oil additive company.

I just find the parallel of being a science denier, and being a snake oil salesman that "leads the way in developing nano technology" hilarious.

I'm not familiar with the 'anti-vaxxer' arguments....and I (we) had our children vaccinated....having said that I've stopped getting my dog vaccinated 'annually' because I think that's just a money grab by veterinarians.

I wouldn't take a study presented by NBC at face value, as we know their political leaning. Sadly, today you have to know who performed the survey, the political ideology of the scientists and personnel involved in the study, as well as the source of funding for the study. There is little objectivity in most scientific studies anymore. Whether consciously or unconsciously, personal bias is omnipresent.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
I wouldn't take a study presented by NBC at face value, as we know their political leaning.

01.gif

Everything I read says there is no link between Vaccines and autism and as a man of data that means a lot to me.

- At the same time -

I worked for a guy for several years with an autistic child who swears was completely fine prior to getting vaccinated and he had a "reaction" -
He believes it happens, and from time to time vaccine batches are or become contaminated and test stats are willfully and knowingly repressed.

UD

There have certainly been FDA approved vaccines that caused problems. You won't hear much about it though. And it's more difficult to prove the negative effects as they get lost in the masses of people that took them. Thalidomide was a safe pharmaceutical as well. Have a nephew with light autism so the subject interested me. There HAVE to be harmful long term side effects of most vaccines. Just because they get lost in the crowd doesn't erase them. There's always a % risk affecting long term mortality of nearly every drug/medicine ingested.

Have to chuckle at the term "science denier".....as if science isn't proven woefully wrong every 20-50 yrs. Remember "peak oil" back in 1970....and rising oceans that would have flooded out our major coastal cities years ago?.....lol Science is often just a series of biased observations...one step above economics. And in "scientific" medicine, many of our "facts" of today end up being proven false decades later....like the cholesterol scares that began in the 70's. Now we have "climate change deniers" leading the charge.... as if climatology is even a true science. How do we observe 4 BILLION years of earth's climate in just 50-100 yrs with modern scientific techniques? It's one step above astrology....lol. I was trained in mathemetics and nuclear engineering and fully realize that not just anything qualifies as "science." As the world heads towards "Idiocracy," we'll see more and more junk science being accepted by the masses.....if fact requested by the masses.

Last edited:
Give me back my 1800PPM ZDDP and my 200mcg of Mercury!

I thought I heard the recent "most comprehensive" study was done AFTER merthiolate was removed from all childhood vaccines in the mid 1990's.

My wife works in the biomed field and she wont get a influenza vaccine.

Me I don't even go to the Dr. unless I break a part off my body
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
NBC News posted a report describing a study that showed that there is no link between the MMR Vaccine and autism, so I couldn't resist and made a critical comment about the anti-vaxxers in the comments. Interestingly enough, I was attacked by an anti-vaxxer who's Facebook profile lists him as a "President" of a very well known oil additive company.

Is your family vaccinated? If they are you have zero worries. Let them live their own life. If they get a disease they aren't vaccinated for that their problem. Always some control freak trying to run someone else's life.

Bare in mind the enormous amounts of $$$ in the pharmaceutical industry . You think some lying might take place to try to protect the profits ? Mabe a little bit ?

If I had a kid with cancer who couldn't be vaccinated I would be ticked big time by non vaxers. Although I'm cheap to the extreme and often vote libertarian I do believe in public health. If you're not vaccinated and not riddled with leukemia you should be quarantined. Measels has the potential to be a very serious disease,no matter what Jenny McCarthy says

Originally Posted by 69GTX
There have certainly been FDA approved vaccines that caused problems. You won't hear much about it though. And it's more difficult to prove the negative effects as they get lost in the masses of people that took them. Thalidomide was a safe pharmaceutical as well. Have a nephew with light autism so the subject interested me. There HAVE to be harmful long term side effects of most vaccines. Just because they get lost in the crowd doesn't erase them. There's always a % risk affecting long term mortality of nearly every drug/medicine ingested.

Have to chuckle at the term "science denier".....as if science isn't proven woefully wrong every 20-50 yrs. Remember "peak oil" back in 1970....and rising oceans that would have flooded out our major coastal cities years ago?.....lol Science is often just a series of biased observations...one step above economics. And in "scientific" medicine, many of our "facts" of today end up being proven false decades later....like the cholesterol scares that began in the 70's. Now we have "climate change deniers" leading the charge.... as if climatology is even a true science. How do we observe 4 BILLION years of earth's climate in just 50-100 yrs with modern scientific techniques? It's one step above astrology....lol. I was trained in mathemetics and nuclear engineering and fully realize that not just anything qualifies as "science." As the world heads towards "Idiocracy," we'll see more and more junk science being accepted by the masses.....if fact requested by the masses.

Thalidomide was only sold in Europe. FDA never approved it. It was during FDA review that the Europeans discovered it caused birth defects and the application was withdrawn from FDA review.

Here's the deal with vaccines:

You need to pick your poison as the saying goes. The very best thing is if everyone but you gets vaccinated. Therefore, no disease and no side effects from the disease for you. But when lots of folks take that path, the disease comes back. The disease is much more dangerous than the vaccine. Everything has side effects.

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/data/index.html

According to the CDC, from 2006 to 2017 over 3.4 billion doses of covered vaccines were distributed in the U.S. For petitions filed in this time period, 6,197 petitions were adjudicated by the Court, and of those 4,250 were compensated. This means for every 1 million doses of vaccine that were distributed, 1 individual was compensated.

Since 1988, over 20,428 petitions have been filed with the VICP. Over that 30-year time period, 17,718 petitions have been adjudicated, with 6,430 of those determined to be compensable, while 11,288 were dismissed. Total compensation paid over the life of the program is approximately $4.0 billion.

Funny how a Jenny McCarthy can make claims with no study that backs her view point up yet attack the very science she claims is hurting her child. Can't have it both ways.

With advent of modern methods of medicine we have switched from infectious diseases to chronic diseases. The average life expectancy has grown and is even visible to a layperson like an antivaxxer.

Better diagnosis of the autism spectrum and lower social stigma for it make it a more visible condition. So this correlation makes some people suspect causation. I don't know why it's specifically the vaccines and not something else but it's an appealing villain -- a greedy pharmaceutical industry, a government agency as a revolving door for pharmaceutical executives and compromised scientific institutions with questionable funding sources make a perfect environment for such a theory.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
I wouldn't take a study presented by NBC at face value, as we know their political leaning. Sadly, today you have to know who performed the survey, the political ideology of the scientists and personnel involved in the study, as well as the source of funding for the study. There is little objectivity in most scientific studies anymore. Whether consciously or unconsciously, personal bias is omnipresent.

You do realize that that's the same attitude that some people had toward Einstein right? They claimed it was Jewish science that was bogus. And it was Philipp Lenard and Johannes Stark, two Nobel prize winners who were at it.

Hitler is said to have remarked to Planck, ''If the dismissal of Jewish scientists means the annihilation of contemporary German science, then we will do without science for a few years.''

Planck is considered the father of modern Quantum theory and won the Nobel prize for it back in 1918.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back