Integra Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Integra51089:
The timing belt I think is original and don't they say only to change at 100,000 miles?

Actually, the factory-recommends changing the timing belt at 105k miles. I think you'll be fine before then with the original timing belt.

Yup thanks for the heads up though. I guess I will run Mobil 1 EP 5-30 right? Yeah the original belt seems fine

I have a 95 Integra and my experience with M1 oils is that I consume them more than any other oil I have tried. However, after 4-5k miles have gone by the consumption begins to slow. I also noticed more valvetrain noise with M1, but this does not indicate its performace or lack of for that matter.

From an economic standpoint, I used chevron/havoline dino with 5k oci's and I felt that the car responded well and I got the best bang for the buck. Oil consumption was always within acceptable limits being less than one quart every 3,000 miles.

Because you have just purchased the car, I would monitor the oil levels regardless of what oil you use untill you can get some sort of reference point regarding the health of your engine.
I think you should get your Timing Belt and water pump replaced anyway to protect your investment to be safe. Replacing the TB makes for good timing to adjust the valves, replace spark plug seals, drive belts, and cam seal. Honda's B-series engines are notorious for developing a cam seal leak and you will notice it for sure if you have not already if you decide to use M1.

I've got an '01 LS that I just put Quaker State High RPM blend in about 1000 miles ago. I had high hopes for this oil but as soon as I put it in I heard what I think is piston slap noise. Didn't hear any hint of that noise before changing to the QS oil and noticed right away afterwards. So you might want to stay away from the QS High RPM. Good luck with your new ride.
thedawk

yeah, 90k interval for timing belt, but it is 7 years so it is good to do it as well, so you can sleep better.

Like HondaRD said, some experience burning when using M1, maybe it is too thin? Depends on whether you use VTEC or if you rev hard. Give it a try and see, but for an auto tranny with such high gear ratio, I think it should be ok.

The B series auto tranny shift hard and clunk, mine did it but from what I heard it is good for the tranny, makes it last longer as it has less overlap between shift. Just drain and refill and it will live for a long time, haven't heard much auto tranny problem on integra in honda-tech.

Couple things you might want to check is the cam seal leakage on earlier model and the cracked heat shield on the header, as well as cracking on the plastic top cover of the radiator. Other than that there aren't many things that can go wrong with an integra at this milage. That thing is literally indestructable.

I have a 2000 LS, 5spd. I use Mobil 1 and do 5k OCIs - which is probably overkill - you could get away with 7500 with M1 if you want to, probably even higher.

Oh, and get rid of the crappy OEM XGT4s on the back for some more BFG Traction T/As. Michelin sucks (I think most Integra owners would agree with me on this).

quote:

Originally posted by csprague:
Oh, and get rid of the crappy OEM XGT4s on the back for some more BFG Traction T/As. Michelin sucks (I think most Integra owners would agree with me on this).

I completely agree with you on this. I have a '96 GS-R, and I couldn't wait to get rid of the OEM tires. Even brand new, they were horrible on snowy or wet roads. Even on dry pavement they were marginal. The only good things about them were that they took forever to wear out (66k miles) and had less rolling resistance (higher MPG). They're definitely not worth replacing at ~$120/tire. Plenty of less expensive/higher performing tires out there.

I wouldn't be afraid to run 10-30 in the summers and 5/30 in the winters.

I own a 98 GSR. Just hit 100,000 miles that is what I do.

quote:

Originally posted by Integra51089:
Yup thanks for the heads up though. I guess I will run Mobil 1 EP 5-30 right? Yeah the original belt seems fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back