InTech 5.4 32V engine- low oil light came on at high speed, think a bearing may have spun?

Especially when the tech is handed, no offense to the OP, I giant basketcase of a diag situation.
The vehicle came from the junkyard
The motor came from the junkyard
The mechanic couldn't afford to front the cost of a couple of (02) sensors for the vehicle-and said he under bid the motor job

What could possibly go wrong?

Still wishing the best outcome for the OP....

Mechanic that swapped the engine just texted me to see if he left a computer in the SUV.

I told him not to the best of my knowledge; also let the mechanic know that the SUV was about 60 miles from him at a Ford dealer. He said he would make it right, and then said his apprentice was doing some "shady stuff".

I simply told him I appreciated the work he did, I know he did a lot of hard work, and I would not be asking him for any money/ refund. He, like me is flawed and imperfect, just in other ways (than me). I wished him the best of luck today and in the future and closed saying he deserves better than he has today.

The mechanic, (I and many members of this forum can point out some issues of concern), is "in the ring" trying to make a living. He is a convicted felon, and he could just sit back and collect welfare and disability. Instead he chose to get up an keep trying. I wonder how his life might be different had he had a coach/trainer/ teacher/ mentor earlier in his life.

Teddy Roosevelt "THE MAN IN THE ARENA"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Last edited:
Mechanic that swapped the engine just texted me to see if he left a computer in the SUV.

I told him not to the best of my knowledge; also let the mechanic know that the SUV was about 60 miles from him at a Ford dealer. He said he would make it right, and then said his apprentice was doing some "shady stuff".

I simply told him I appreciated the work he did, I know he did a lot of hard work, and I would not be asking him for any money/ refund. He, like me is flawed and imperfect, just in other ways (than me). I wished him the best of luck today and in the future and closed saying he deserves better than he has today.

The mechanic, and I can point out some issues of concern, is "in the ring" trying to make a living. He is a convicted felon, and he could just sit back and collect welfare and disability. Instead he chose to get up an keep trying. I wonder how his life might be different had he had a coach/trainer/ teacher/ mentor.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Bravo @GON!

The mechanic, (I and many members of this forum can point out some issues of concern), is "in the ring" trying to make a living. He is a convicted felon, and he could just sit back and collect welfare and disability. Instead he chose to get up an keep trying. I wonder how his life might be different had he had a coach/trainer/ teacher/ mentor earlier in his life.

You are a good man!

A little update. Drove the SUV 770 miles today.

The real bad- transmission fluid leak apparently at the transmission:

The bad- a P0171 error. I am hopeful and suspect a vacuum error.

Another bad- the mechanic appears to have done a sloppy job with all the wires, harness, etc. I will need to get in and clean it up.

The good- fixed the driver window stuck down and dead radio (except the CD motor of the radio). Fuse 22, a 10 AMP accessories fuse was blow. Replaced and all is well.

Another good- Fuel mileage without trailer on flat terrain at 70 mph 17/18MPG

Another good- trailer hooked right up, all electrical worked, and the trailer towed effortlessly. I did not exceed 60 MPH while towing the trailer.

PXL_20220610_225026217.jpg

A few thoughts:

Transmission leak is likely from the front pump seal. Keep it topped off until you get to your final destination. I'd have a local transmission shop take a look at it.

There is a good chance the lean code is due to a vacuum leak. Hopefully it is a hose and not an intake gasket.

Get a drop receiver to level the trailer.

A little update. Drove the SUV 770 miles today.

The real bad- transmission fluid leak apparently at the transmission:

The bad- a P0171 error. I am hopeful and suspect a vacuum error.

Another bad- the mechanic appears to have done a sloppy job with all the wires, harness, etc. I will need to get in and clean it up.

The good- fixed the driver window stuck down and dead radio (except the CD motor of the radio). Fuse 22, a 10 AMP accessories fuse was blow. Replaced and all is well.

Another good- Fuel mileage without trailer on flat terrain at 70 mph 17/18MPG

Another good- trailer hooked right up, all electrical worked, and the trailer towed effortlessly. I did not exceed 60 MPH while towing the trailer.

View attachment 103495
GON, if there is no vacuum leak I bet the other injectors are not flowing as they should, they are flowing but probably very low.
If you know someone to get them out and put them back send them to me, I will get them running right.

On the road with the SUV. Drove 416 miles yesterday, no big issues. Trans fluid appears overfilled, and I am having a hard time reading the oil level accurately. With the SUV sitting in a motel parking lot all night, I am hoping for a decent view of the oil level.

1625 miles to go. SUV is pulling the trailer nicely.

Picture taken a few minutes out in Fairmont, MN from my motel room. About to hit the road, late start for me.
PXL_20220722_132855558.jpg

On the road with the SUV. Drove 416 miles yesterday, no big issues. Trans fluid appears overfilled, and I am having a hard time reading the oil level accurately. With the SUV sitting in a motel parking lot all night, I am hoping for a decent view of the oil level.

1625 miles to go. SUV is pulling the trailer nicely.

Picture taken a few minutes out in Fairmont, MN from my motel room. About to hit the road, late start for me. View attachment 109121
Great to hear!

In Sheridan, WY for the night. Weather was around 100 on I90 in Western South Dakota earlier today. Starting to hit some grades, SUV appears to be doing just fine. The oil and trans dipstick were both finger burning hot while checking fluid levels in Wester South Dakota.

I have driven 1113 miles since departing Illinois yesterday. Today I drove approximately 698 miles. I have about 972 miles to my home in Washington. Numerous mountain passes to go.

In Sheridan, WY for the night. Weather was around 100 on I90 in Western South Dakota earlier today. Starting to hit some grades, SUV appears to be doing just fine. The oil and trans dipstick were both finger burning hot while checking fluid levels in Wester South Dakota.

I have driven 1113 miles since departing Illinois yesterday. Today I drove approximately 698 miles. I have about 972 miles to my home in Washington. Numerous mountain passes to go.
If it doesn't go over 10k ft it's just a bump ;)

Seriously, glad to see it's working out, FINALLY

If it doesn't go over 10k ft it's just a bump ;)

Seriously, glad to see it's working out, FINALLY
D60,

Thanks- I have a long way still to go but getting this far is a positive. When the SUV makes it home, I am going over many things in the engine bay. I suspect I may have a lot of loose bolts, etc.

Back