Need help. What came off this ford transmission housing and possible fixes?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Noticed a big transmission fluid lead on this ford transmission. Went underneath and looks like a cap is missing.

I am in a wal Mart parking lot. Any suggestions on how to address?

Thanks in advance.
PXL_20220611_001532786.jpg

Measure it and go inside Walmart and buy the correct jar of mayo, jelly, or whatever that has a cap that fits tightly. A very temporary fix but something I've done.

Last edited:
Thanks gents. Taking a close look, a cover appears missing

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_004645441.jpg
    PXL_20220611_004645441.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 115
Hardware store may have a flexible plug that can plug the access hole. Still need to check ATF level to see how much fluid has been lost.

--Also remember that many Ford/Lincoln dealers service centers/parts depts may be open on Saturdays. Seldom are they so busy that they can't do walk-ins.

from what I recall working on a friend’s F-150 4.6 2V/4R70W, there’s a pipe plug on the torque converter as well. Might be a good idea to check that. You’ll need to “bar” the engine over with a breaker bar and socket to get the plug to line up with the service hole.

from what I recall working on a friend’s F-150 4.6 2V/4R70W, there’s a pipe plug on the torque converter as well. Might be a good idea to check that. You’ll need to “bar” the engine over with a breaker bar and socket to get the plug to line up with the service hole.

That was removed in later model years, at least in the Crown Victoria.

Looks like the front seal is leaking on the tranny. I have a 94 F150 with the EO4D tranny and the front seal has gone out twice in it over the years. The hole is just missing the rubber/plastic/metal inspection cover (whichever came on this vehicle). And as mk378 said, also missing the flat metal cover plate.

check the cooler lines too, before anything else. I've seen those get rubbed through, leading to elliptical holes that ATF just pours out of.
Running it & observing would be a check for that. Once you know it isn't a nice cheap line repair, go deeper. : (

Gents, thanks again for all the input, I am grateful.

The lines don't show any visual leaks. I am sliding under the SUV with no lift, so a little limited. I overreacted when I saw the problem, it seemed like a lot of fluid was hitting the ground, and I saw a big open hole. Reflecting, I am thinking the fluid may be leaking and building up inside the shell, and when I stop forward momentum the lost fluid exits the transmission housing.

I discovered this in Smyrna, TN earlier this evening. About five miles after I hooked up a 14 foot trailer. I am now in the first town north of Louisville, KY., which is 201 miles from Smyrna, TN. I added one quart of SuperTech Mercron trans fluid. I had no signs of trans issues before discovering the leak, and after adding one quart of trans fluid and driving 201 miles, noticed no issues. But I surely have a leak.

My hope is I can get to another 343 miles tomorrow by adding fluid as needed. BTW, it is very hard to check fluid on the trans dipstick.

My guess would be that the torque converter shaft seal was damaged during the engine replacement by a lazy mechanic not unbolting the converter from the flex plate before splitting the engine from the gearbox.

Once you are home I would fully clean the area then run the engine, if the leak comes back in the bell housing then it’s gearbox out to have a look.

That would only apply to pre 2003 transmissions.

Back