Intake manifold bolt missing

I'm glad you got what you needed. Personally I'd be leery of buying replacement bolts at Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware. They likely don't have the right strength or hardness rating. From my experience, I'm always concerned about the quality of Chinese steel.

Last edited:
Yep all but Motorcraft do not have the brass. Was leary when I had to have the intake replaced on my 5.4l. Mechanic couldn't source one but I found one in Vegas at a Ford dealership, shipped to PA for around $350. Was worth it to me as mechanic was saying sometimes the bolt holes will crack in the plastic. Nothing is hardly metal anymore.

Usually hardware stores won't have bolts with a 1.0mm thread pitch and they NEVER have flange bolts.

When I go to the salvage yard, I bring with me a 1-gallon ziplock bag and fill it up with fasteners. They charge me like $5 but little do they know I have $400 (dealer prices) worth of fasteners.

Some hardware stores have a great selection of flanged metric fasteners, Ace's especially.

Usually hardware stores won't have bolts with a 1.0mm thread pitch and they NEVER have flange bolts.

When I go to the salvage yard, I bring with me a 1-gallon ziplock bag and fill it up with fasteners. They charge me like $5 but little do they know I have $400 (dealer prices) worth of fasteners.
I do very similar, but I don't just take bolts. I have a set of body trim removal tools, and I take those little (plastic?) clips for wiring, brake line & power steering hydraulic line supports & hangars, etc., you know, the little stuff that the auto manufacturers buy by the 10,000 that you can't find anywhere except on other cars like yours. And yes, I'm straightforward and show them what I have to pay for, but they charge so little for this stuff, sometimes they even shrug and literally don't charge at all. GOLD to me. Where else can I find a plastic steering line support clip for my daughter's car that I broke trying to open it?

Assuming the bolt length and thread pitch are correct, and considering the application, I would be perfectly comfortable use a hardware store bolt here. Toss in a washer for another $0.05 if it spins your beanie. The only benefit to the $40 OEM bolt (gas/delivery fee lol) is the material quality... so it will last an extra 10 years in a very harsh environment... put some spray paint on the head and oil on the threads of the hardware bolt. EDIT: totally different story if the OEM bolt is as easily acquired as the hardware store item.

The only benefit to the $40 OEM bolt (gas/delivery fee lol) is the material quality... so it will last an extra 10 years in a very harsh environment... put some spray paint on the head and oil on the threads of the hardware bolt. EDIT: totally different story if the OEM bolt is as easily acquired as the hardware store item.
When I go to my local ACE to get replacement metric bolts fur use on the car, I get stainless steel nuts and bolts. Or I mail order them and get flanged bolts, just like the car came with, also in stainless steel. These things are great for use on underbody panels in particular.

Back