Insurance claims and OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Suggestion, walk away from the car and get her something else to drive. It will never be right again...

Pablum.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
A lot of people are not aware that almost all insurance covers "Loss Of Value" and that is NOT just the parts and labor to repair. A guy I work with his wife had an accident he was telling me. I advised him the insurance is for "Loss Of Value" and he demanded it from the adjuster. On top of the auto repairs he also got a check for the loss of value. Remember that companies like CarFax keep track of accidents and that definitely can affect your resale value after the fact.

He was so happy that additional cash helped a lot. Remember they are not going to GIVE it to you unless you demand it.

It depends on your coverage and who is at fault (100% other party vs. partial fault). Many policies have loss of value as an optional coverage, you can't just demand that the insurance pay you more money because your vehicle is worth less after an accident. They will laugh at you. In the case of your coworker, if the other party was at fault they likely just negotiated more money for the payout of the damages, not necessarily because of loss of vehicle value.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Another way of looking at this; even if the repair shop uses oem parts, will your CRV ever be the same?

It'll probably be better if it's repaired at a reputable shop.

I had body work on my 07 done in 09, and the body shop paint has held up better than the factory. They also used upgraded suspension parts for the repair.

if it aligns right and the body work isn't shoddy, there is ZERO reason to suspect the car will "never be the same." This isn't 1969 where shops are loading up dents with bondo and touching it up with acrylic paint before sending people on their way.

Well, that was a waste of time. Insurance just called and declared it a total loss, frame bent. Great. Just freakin' great. Was going to be my daughters car in about 1.5 years. But, they did offered 14363 as a settlement. Pretty good. Only owed 3700 on it. But still. That car had an extended warranty to 125K and also had free engines/oil changes for life from the dealership, which they don't offer any more. Wife is doing physical therapy from the whiplash, I guess that's another claim I'll have to settle for. I'll have to admit, Farmers was pretty decent. Got her in a rental car pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back