Insurance claims and OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife got front end T-boned last week in the CRV. She's OK, a little sore, but NOT happy with what we just found out. From what I read, insurances DON'T have to replace the damaged parts with OEM parts. The estimate showed a lot of A/M CAPA parts and some RECOND parts. WTH??? That car is still under factory warranty until it hits 125K. I also have the free oil changes and engine for life, but AFAIK, engine is fine. The condenser will need replacing. They quoted 120 dollars but a Honda condenser is running over 300 dollars plus. I called the estimator but he gave me the "I"ll check into it" speal. Is there anything I can fight this guys with besides looking into getting a lawyer? Concerned about the depreciation and diminish value aspects. So far, total damage is about 7500 and the body shop said it will go up. Car is worth about 14K according to KBB. Luckily, the driver had insurance, big deal here in Oklahoma with non-insured motorist, Farmers. They've been actually pretty good. Put her in a 2018 Infinity QX 60....NICE. My first time experiencing a CVT and wow, is that thing smooth. She had to see her doctor last week and did xrays, nothing broken but did get whiplash and will do some PT. Farmers offered us 500 dollars the day after. Wife ain't stupid, she wants to do PT and see if she feels better.

Schmoe -

If you have the ~right~ bodyshop, they will make sure the car is paid to properly fixed with all OE parts and then some.....

The bodyshop I use (I swear the auto insurance adjusters are greased), but the check that get's cut out to the bodyshop is always to the sum of where all parts or OE, and the car is fixed right.

I would not bother dealing with the adjuster. The relationship is between the bodyshop (hopefully you find a good one) and the adjustor

I take it the wreck was not her fault. In that case you are due only OEM parts, and you are also due a "diminished value" payment. The wreck will show on car fax, no matter how well it is fixed, it is not worth as much as before. If her fault depending on state, you have have less rights.

You have to find the right body shop. You want the bodyshop who wants to fix it right the first time, while the insurance company is on the hook to pay for it. A body shop that doesn't take "no" as an answer from any insurance adjuster.

My 2004 Silverado was within a few thousand dollars of being totalled out in 2009, and it was fixed. Most all parts used on it were OEM. We had one instance where the new GM part didn't fit worth a dang, so we got a used part from a truck that was built the same month and year as mine, and it fit perfectly. The body shop assumed that the mold for the part had changed slightly over time.

The body shop had it for 5 weeks (yes, they didn't rush the job, and did it right), while I was driving an F-150 rental

9 years later, and I'm still driving the truck, and have never taken the truck back for any issues.

It really depends on your policy. Some insurance companies only state that they will "make insureds whole again". To them this means new aftermarket parts. Replacing with new OEM parts would mean the vehicle is now in better shape technically than it was before the accident, according to them.

In my opinion it is a money grab, but that's how the policy was at the company I worked. OEM replacement parts could be added to the policy for more money. The exception was new cars, or cars that had very limited aftermarket parts available.

Unless you have an OEM parts endorsement, a 2014 will be fixed using recycled or aftermarket. If you have a great bodyshop, they may try to "pricematch" some of the aftermarket parts with OEM, but if it is a significant repair you will probably have to come up with the difference.

Most, maybe all, states have rules that only say equivalent parts. So aftermarket that meets OE spec falls into that. You can complain all you want but its a losing battle unless you can prove the parts they want to use are inferior.

BUT you must ask for and follow up on the diminished value claim. As said this will show up on car reports and lower the value of the vehicle a lot. The insurance company will fight you, says its looks as good as before, etc... Mind you they will also offer you less later if it gets into another accident since it was damaged before as well. So this is one area you have to fight for as its something you can win, and they will resist.

Unfortunately, it's just the way it is.

I have State Farm and thought I was guaranteed OEM parts when I got rear ended. Nope. I fought and they wouldn't budge.

However, in my case there was only 1 used bumper in the state, aftermarket was unavailable, and it was overpriced so I got a new OEM bumper.

From your email it appears that your wife was not the at fault driver and the at fault driver's insurance is covering the repair.

I just went through this in Missouri. So what follows is relevant to Missouri, maybe not Oklahoma.

The OEM rider requirement would likely be needed if your insurance is paying. If the other driver's insurance is paying their insured is liable for what ever damages you suffer, including the diminished value of your car. I insisted on OEM parts and later discovered that some salvage parts were used. I'm retired, but still licensed as an attorney. I had to draft a lawsuit, but ultimately settled with the the at fault driver's insurance and the body shop that did the job.

My advice is to insist on OEM parts and ask for photos and invoices to show OEM was actually used.

It sounds like this car is going to be totaled. The initial damage estimate is usually low.

Glad that no one was seriously injured.

Check your policy documents for their repair procedure. They'll use new parts if they can't source used or third-party, or if the car is new and used/aftermarket isn't available yet.

Your carfax is going to be the thing that diminishes the value, not the parts used for the repair.

If it bothers you that much, sell it after you get it back. Hiring a lawyer will quickly exceed the value you lose by having an incident on the carfax.

The vehicle is ~4 years old. From their standpoint, putting reconditioned parts (they'll typically be ~4 years old as well based on model design changes, etc) is putting the car back in the same condition that it was before the accident.

I've had work done recently in 2 different shops.
Both quoted recon parts, when I questioned it, they both said that the dealer will price match the recon price on the estimate. Seems Auto mfgs are trying hard to kill the recon aftermarket and good bodyshops don't like using them. Check body parts pricing on Honda and Toyota lately? MSRP was actually pretty low on things like bumper covers. My RAV4 was only $350.

It was not her fault. The other driver was ticketed right there on the spot as soon as the police showed up. Anyway, I have State Farm and was told basically what some of ya'll already eluded to...there is no mandatory requirement to use OEM. Honestly, I didn't look at the fact that the car is 4 years old, going on 5. Trust the body shop, it's the shop that my Honda dealer uses and was highly recommended from our salesman, whom we've bought 6 Hondas from him over the past 18 years. This is the place they send their vehicles to when there is damage from truck transport or a customer wants any type of work done on a used car from their lot as part of the deal. Ironically, Farmers didn't tell me anything, it was the body shop that called and told me about it. Daughter will be 15 this November, our plan was to give her this particular car and the wife gets another one. Body shop wise, I pretty confident about the actual body and appearance of the car when it's done. My major concern is the mechanical aspects and longevity. Pretty fished off about the car fax note on it in the future, but like I said, planning on giving it to the daughter pretty soon. I guess that will be the gospel because it may be hard to trade it in or sell it with a accident note on it.

A lot of people are not aware that almost all insurance covers "Loss Of Value" and that is NOT just the parts and labor to repair. A guy I work with his wife had an accident he was telling me. I advised him the insurance is for "Loss Of Value" and he demanded it from the adjuster. On top of the auto repairs he also got a check for the loss of value. Remember that companies like CarFax keep track of accidents and that definitely can affect your resale value after the fact.

He was so happy that additional cash helped a lot. Remember they are not going to GIVE it to you unless you demand it.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
A lot of people are not aware that almost all insurance covers "Loss Of Value" and that is NOT just the parts and labor to repair. A guy I work with his wife had an accident he was telling me. I advised him the insurance is for "Loss Of Value" and he demanded it from the adjuster. On top of the auto repairs he also got a check for the loss of value. Remember that companies like CarFax keep track of accidents and that definitely can affect your resale value after the fact.

He was so happy that additional cash helped a lot. Remember they are not going to GIVE it to you unless you demand it.

What if the person who hits you is under insured and your own insurance's "under insured motorist coverage" has to kick in? Are you still able to get compensation for loss of value?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Hopefully the damage creeps to 75% of wholesale value of CRV and you can be done with this vehicle.

It's likely to have to creep to more than 75-80% of private RETAIL value. Wife had a major accident a couple years ago, repair cost exceeded the wholesale value, I told her to pick a new car. Insurance repaired it, said they based a "total" loss on private retail value above 80%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back