Installing GrapheneOS on current Pixel 4a5g or buy a newer Pixel 7?

I have an unlocked Pixel 4a5g that has reached end of life as far as updates from Google (https://endoflife.date/pixel), but I want to install GrapheneOS for security reasons. However, if I install an OS like GrapheneOS, does it even matter if the phone is EOL? Any security updates would then come from the GrapheneOS team, or am I missing something?

Alternatively, I'm contemplating buying one of the unlocked, Pixel 7 models and installing GrapheneOS on that instead. The Pixel 7 models seem to be the "sweet-spot" in between features, price, EOL support, etc.

I know the Pixel 7 is surely faster and has a better camera, etc., but I'm a very light cell phone user. I check my company e-mail on my current phone, take an occasional photo, use the web browser once in a great while, and probably make a handful of phone calls per month. In large part, my phone is just for emergency use, but I want to change the OS for privacy reasons.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed

It hardly matters if it's end of life. I used my Samsung for years after the updates stopped because it kept working fine. If it works fine why not just keep using it until a sale pops up later.

How is your battery life? That's one thing I'd be concerned about on an older device.

I have a Pixel5, and while battery life isn't what it used to be when new, I'm still getting by just fine, but I am starting to think about a new phone.

GrapheneOS would be a big upgrade from Android in terms of privacy, but if you haven't used it day to day before, be ready for having to mess with the phone for a while. Props on thinking about your data privacy.

I have an unlocked Pixel 4a5g that has reached end of life as far as updates from Google (https://endoflife.date/pixel), but I want to install GrapheneOS for security reasons. However, if I install an OS like GrapheneOS, does it even matter if the phone is EOL? Any security updates would then come from the GrapheneOS team, or am I missing something?

Alternatively, I'm contemplating buying one of the unlocked, Pixel 7 models and installing GrapheneOS on that instead. The Pixel 7 models seem to be the "sweet-spot" in between features, price, EOL support, etc.

I know the Pixel 7 is surely faster and has a better camera, etc., but I'm a very light cell phone user. I check my company e-mail on my current phone, take an occasional photo, use the web browser once in a great while, and probably make a handful of phone calls per month. In large part, my phone is just for emergency use, but I want to change the OS for privacy reasons.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed

I'd go for a Pixel 7a. I have a 7 and my wife has a 7a. Only difference is the 7a has slower wireless charging, and a little weaker dust/water intrusion protection. I bought my 7 first when it was released. My wife got the 7a a few months later when it was released. I wish I would have waited and saved a couple hundred bucks.

if your battery is still decent upgrade to the graphene I’m all for saving old tech. I’m on a 6 yr old iPhone XR which come June with iOS 18 the XR will be phased out this will push me to upgrade since I bank and trade with my phone I’m big on having the latest security updates available.

I'd go for a Pixel 7a. I have a 7 and my wife has a 7a. Only difference is the 7a has slower wireless charging, and a little weaker dust/water intrusion protection. I bought my 7 first when it was released. My wife got the 7a a few months later when it was released. I wish I would have waited and saved a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks for the feedback and your experience!

I'm looking hard at this OpenBox Pixel 7 for $339.99 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Open-Box...Unlocked-6-3-in-8GB-RAM-Phone-Snow/3934834253).

Ed

Interesting. I have a Pixel 3aXL and to me it feels virtually brand new.

I think we're hitting a stretch where modern phones can last as long as PCs. The only thing I wish is that replacing the battery will be as easy with this phone as it was with my LG G5. Heck if that phone's antenna and camera weren't so buggy I would have kept that one.

I've had the Pixel 7a since October after I ditched T-. I like its smaller size. I git as I ditched T-Mobile for Google Fi so it's free after 2 years of bill credits. It's a great, capable phone so far.

STRONGLY suggest AGAINST buying from 3rd party on Walmart. If any issues arises, you most likely will be SOL.
I found eBay/Swappa to be better options. Ebay has it for $249 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/204640563153)
Thank you.

That's a great price. The only question that I have is how to know the phone is brand new? Is that shown somewhere and I just don't see it or would I have to, somehow, contact the seller?

Ed

Thank you.

That's a great price. The only question that I have is how to know the phone is brand new? Is that shown somewhere and I just don't see it or would I have to, somehow, contact the seller?

Ed
I have bought a good number of phones from Ebay/Swappa. The phone conditions on Ebay I found to be better than stated. Whether its a 'really' new or not, you will most likely never know because all phones are wiped clean before sold.

If you ever suspect, its not new as stated, you can always return. Just make sure of the return policy before ordering.

It hardly matters if it's end of life. I used my Samsung for years after the updates stopped because it kept working fine. If it works fine why not just keep using it until a sale pops up later.
The OS is geared toward security-privacy..... any phone NOT updated is not secure. I would go Pixel 7, for support. The newer the phone, the longer the update support is.

I love how the lock screen randomizes the numbers, and of course open source. IOS is supposed to be secure, but... closed source, you cannot verify.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Ed
I use GrapheneOS. I recommend getting the newest Pixel you can afford. If not new, check Swappa.com. Just know that carrier "Unlocked" is not the same as a phone with Developer options. You need developer options to flash GrapheneOS so be sure of that. Also there is this quote directly from GrapheneOS:

"Pixel 4a (5G) and Pixel 5 are end-of-life and shouldn't be used anymore due to lack of security patches for firmware and drivers. We provide extended support for harm reduction. - GrapheneOS"

I use GrapheneOS. I recommend getting the newest Pixel you can afford. If not new, check Swappa.com. Just know that carrier "Unlocked" is not the same as a phone with Developer options. You need developer options to flash GrapheneOS so be sure of that. Also there is this quote directly from GrapheneOS:

"Pixel 4a (5G) and Pixel 5 are end-of-life and shouldn't be used anymore due to lack of security patches for firmware and drivers. We provide extended support for harm reduction. - GrapheneOS"
Thank you.

So before buying any phone, how would I know if the phone has "Developer options"?

Ed

Thank you.

So before buying any phone, how would I know if the phone has "Developer options"?

Ed
Any new phone from the Google store will have Developer options available. If buying used, some sellers will show a picture of the screen with developer options NOT greyed out. If the devolper options IS greyed out, the phone is a no go for GrapheneOS or any other custom ROM. I also know that any Verizon phone has developer options locked out and those phones should be avoided as well.

I will also say that as a novice level techie GrapheneOS makes it very easy to flash a phone. And Google makes it very easy to flash the phone back to the factory operating system. So when it comes time to sell or trade-in the phone, it's easy to have the phone back to the factory original state. I've traded-in many Pixels without issues this way.

You can unlock the developer options on any Android smartphone or tablet by locating the build number in your Settings menu and tapping it multiple times, normally 7 times. However, the exact location of the aforementioned build number may differ depending on your phone's manufacturer. Open settings and search Build.

Back