installed Linux,then problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read now quite a few posts where many people have had this problem, where the ssd doesn't get noticed by the laptop due to it not seating properly. I don't have a spacer, but one person used a credit card.

I finally was able to get Linux on the original hdd and I didn't need the flash drive anymore! Now what can I do to update anything or optimize?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I see that I have 3 choices update manager. Which do I select?

I go with the middle one.

When you run sudo and type the password in the terminal window, it will not show your typing on the screen. Type the password, press enter and it will either do the command or tell you to try again if the password was wrong.

In general, if something is stuck in the terminal window and you want to get out, hitting ctrl-C will usually work.

apt-get update is the same as clicking the "check for updates" button in the update manager. You don't need the command line to do updates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
It asks for password, I try typing in my unlock password and nothing happens.

So, how are things going?
sorry,didn't see your post. It's been running great since I deleted the partitions and left just Linux. Is there an HDD tester that I can run, with beginner instructions, that I can run,so that I can find out if this original HDD is good still?

Originally Posted By: Garak
It asks for password, I try typing in my unlock password and nothing happens.

So, how are things going?
sorry,didn't see your post. It's been running great since I deleted the partitions and left just Linux. Is there an HDD tester that I can run, with beginner instructions, that I can run,so that I can find out if this original HDD is good still?

You'll have to pardon that I do not have a Mint system in front of me. Ubuntu includes the application "Disks" by default but I am unsure if Mint does. Search for that application in the menu. https://www.computerbeginnersguides.com/...-linux-mint-18/

EDIT: If it is not installed, you might be able to install it directly from here: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/gnome-disk-utility

Ok, I d/l'ed this, gnome-disk-utility-3.27.91.zip ,opened it, then I get around 15 more files under that. How do I know which one I need?

The simplest way would be to do this:

sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility

and it will install what you need and whatever dependencies you need, too. It may very well be installed on your system. It's on mine, and I don't remember putting it there, so it likely was there by default.

Ok, I d/l'ed this, gnome-disk-utility-3.27.91.zip ,opened it, then I get around 15 more files under that. How do I know which one I need?

Just use the software manager to install any application. It's as easy as searching for the application and hitting "Install".

WOW.....

This is a detailed thread!

I want to load Ubuntu on a (really nicely equipped) older WinXP machine.

Which online user guides are the easiest to follow? (and/or comprehend?)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
WOW.....

This is a detailed thread!

I want to load Ubuntu on a (really nicely equipped) older WinXP machine.

Which online user guides are the easiest to follow? (and/or comprehend?)

You will need to first get Ubuntu onto a USB drive and make that USB drive bootable. The most-used application to do that, along with a tutorial on how to use this simple application, is here: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ EDIT: I do not believe this application will work on WinXP. Let me research this a bit...

Booting from that prepared USB disk and installing the OS is best described by the folks at Ubuntu:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back