Installed Gauges

Finally had a few minutes to install my gauge cluster (water temp, voltage, and oil pressure) in my 1968 Firebird. They are simple mechanical Bosch gauges. Temp needle never moved. Sucks. The instructions state to never kink the temp probe cable ensuring there’s always at least a 3 inch curve/loop/bend. Laughable!! It was wound into a tight (2 inch by 2 1/2 inch) wad for packaging. There must be an approved wrap that won’t hurt the cable. Jegs customer service won’t answer the phone. Fine. Can’t find a number for Bosch. Frustrated. I love doing things over and over and over…..

Finally had a few minutes to install my gauge cluster (water temp, voltage, and oil pressure) in my 1968 Firebird. They are simple mechanical Bosch gauges. Temp needle never moved. Sucks. The instructions state to never kink the temp probe cable ensuring there’s always at least a 3 inch curve/loop/bend. Laughable!! It was wound into a tight (2 inch by 2 1/2 inch) wad for packaging. There must be an approved wrap that won’t hurt the cable. Jegs customer service won’t answer the phone. Fine. Can’t find a number for Bosch. Frustrated. I love doing things over and over and over…..
FWIW- I have been using VDO electrical types for 40+ years. Never a problem.

I loved the mechanical gauges I installed in my old '90 Bronco and '81 G30 van. Reaction is so immediate, you can clearly see the thermostat open. Really neat to see that feedback from the driver seat

If I can't get a Stewart Warner, I default to VDO. Easy to read, white on black. I installed a VDO oil pressure gauge where the lighter used to be.

I like SW Heavy Duty and Series III gauges, but I think the VDO looks better and matches the other gauges. The angled bezel came from Eddie Marine.

20160203_164912.jpg

Reactions: D60
Back