Insols: What to do? Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly straight forward question. Considering that the vehicle I'm getting some experience with has 250,000+ miles, I expect insolubles to be higher than a 'newer' engine.

I've been wondering if I should try shorter OCIs for a while until I get the insols lower before attempting to run out my extended OCIs; for some concerns such as but not limited to:

-Filtration fighting an 'uphill' battle against high insols.

-Higher insols thus present/allowed to re-circulate, perhaps creating more wear in process, keeping the vicious cycle of insols high, instead of trending downward?

My goal is at least 10,000 mile OCIs in this app, but I'm a bit hesitant for a couple of reasons. I did a blunder and put an entire bottle of Red Line SI-1 in with a full (10 gallons only) tank. So, as you can imagine, the oil got pretty dark afterward, thus more inols. I'm attacking too many things at once.
cry.gif

Anyway, I should've waited until the end of this OCI to use the Red Line, but we'll see. Any more information on this area?

For reference, my last report showed .5 insols, which was in an effort to 'clean up' the engine some and perhaps allowed for more particles to 'wash out' during the drain:

Last Report

Run the filter longer. No seriously, run it longer to allow it to collect stuff and start working more efficiently.
http://colt45.ws/misc/uoa/vicoil011610.gif
Take note of the 10/14/08 to 06/04/09 run.
39ppm si and .3 insol.
I had accidently left the filter box open on the previous run, the one with 40ppm si, and changed it shortly after I discovered my mistake.
Now, note that on the 06/04/09-01/16/10 run Si dropped over 50% and insol was down to .2.
The same EaO11 was used on both runs. It was installed 10/14/08 then left on until it was taken off 01/16/10.

^Alright, I'll leave the EaO20 on for a while and see what happens to insols.

NOTE: Of course, not to exceed 15,000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back