Preparing for first UAO - which company to use for the most accurate fuel dilution?

I've seen some discussion about Blackstone not performing an accurate test for fuel dilution and other specs on an UAO. I will be sending a sample of the Mobil 1 dealer bulk fill in my wife's CX-9 next week when I switch it over to HPL No VII 5W30. I know this engine is a fairly heavy diluter but I'm curious to get a report on just how much. I'd like to test what's currently in there and then do another test in 5k miles to how that compares to the HPL No VII 5W30. I've never sent an oil sample to any lab so I'm looking for some guidance and not too concerned over price difference from one company to another if the results are more accurate.

PFA: the good stuff going into the CX-9 next week. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 27
Pretty sure no dealer uses Mobil 1. I have never seen Mobil 1 in any dealer's bulk oil program; it is almost always Mobil Super Synthetic or the OEM's own oil program. Usually the latter nowadays.

Pretty sure no dealer uses Mobil 1. I have never seen Mobil 1 in any dealer's bulk oil program; it is almost always Mobil Super Synthetic or the OEM's own oil program. Usually the latter nowadays.

Interesting. I asked our Asst Svc Mgr a couple of weeks ago and he said Mobil1 for the newer cars and Castrol for the older cars; he may have meant what you referenced - Mobile Super Synthetic.

Interesting. I asked our Asst Svc Mgr a couple of weeks ago and he said Mobil1 for the newer cars and Castrol for the older cars; he may have meant what you referenced - Mobile Super Synthetic.
You need to ask your parts dept to show you their bulk oil delivery receipt.

You need to ask your parts dept to show you their bulk oil delivery receipt.
Asked the one of Parts Dept guys (as they were clocking out) and he said, “we get the bulk oil from Key Oil Company….I think it’s Mobil…..warranty repairs that require a refill get the Mazda brand in a bottle”.

Makes sense as I’ve nabbed these pics over the last few days.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 48
Oil Analysers will try to cheap out on you, if they don’t think there’s enough visc drop to warrant the GC test…their report says it is GC if they do it, otherwise they will say “est <1%.” They will need a proper Virgin reading for the brand/model/grade, or they can’t make this determination. Maybe this is legit approach???

If you’re willing to buy multiple kits (I think they sell minimum 5-packs), TestOil capable of proper test, but you better call them to make sure you get the most appropriate suite of tests. I believe the closest they offered to what I wanted was called their “MAT1” suite; it isn’t their default.

I’ve heard WearCheck also does proper fuel test, and SpeedDynamix???

Oil Analysers will try to cheap out on you, if they don’t think there’s enough visc drop to warrant the GC test…their report says it is GC if they do it, otherwise they will say “est <1%.” They will need a proper Virgin reading for the brand/model/grade, or they can’t make this determination.
They should still do GC if you request it specifically when sending the sample in. They will also rerun with GC after the fact if you request it soon enough. Here is their exact verbiage on how they determine whether they use GC or not:
When the oil's viscosity is lower than one (1) cSt from the known starting viscosity of the oil when new, we will confirm fuel dilution by ASTM D7593 GC method, reporting the result as percent by volume. However, if lubricant grade is not included with the sample, fuel dilution will be confirmed by GC if viscosity is below 13.3 cSt for diesel engine oil and below 9.8 cSt for gasoline engine oil. If viscosity is above the oil's mid-point for the grade, fuel dilution will be reported as <1.0%.

Back