Innova Equus 3160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,

I want to purchase a scan tool for code retrieval and light diagnostic use. OBDII and CAN compatibility is a must. The Innova Equus 3160 is one model that I am considering since it promises to read "OEM-enhanced codes" and transmission DTCs. It also has the ability to retrieve ABS trouble codes from certain domestics.

http://www.equus.com/product_info.php?product_id=3160&category_id=1_10_7

I am also looking at the AutoXray TechScan 7000. This one costs $200 more, but allows you to purchase add-on cards which will give you OEM-specific diagnostics for certain brands. It also allows you to print directly to an USB printer. But aside from those two additional features, it doesn't seem to offer much more than the cheaper Equus 3160.

http://www.autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=136

So to me, the Equus 3160 seems like a much better deal, at least for me. What do do you guys think? Do any of you own the Equus 3160?

I am also open to suggestions on what other models I should consider.

Thanks!

I have the Innova. It's great. It does translate the code and not just give you a numerical code that you can't use unless you have a book.

Innova makes nice tools. I own one and even though I also own a GM Tech 2 (cost thousands of dollars0 and 3 other hi end OTC scan tools - the one I reach for first for quick diagnosis is the Innova. That should tell you something. It's fast and easy to use. I can get data and codes on it before I am even done configuring the Tech 2! Of course it lacks diagnostic testing abilities, but for most folks it will be fine.

I have a Innovia 3120, does OBD I&II. Very nice tool, although I just bought a new OTC Genisys EVO, so that I get a little better picture of what's going on. Totally different leagues really amd not absolutely necessary for the DIY mechanic.

GO for the Innovia. I have had zero issues and have diagnosed many different vehicles with it. For the price you really get alot. Especially the one you are looking at being ABS capable. That's one thing I wish mine could do, but the OTC can take over those duties!
grin2.gif
For 2 large it better!
shocked2.gif

One more thing, Oilboy123 has the link from the old post on the Innovia. In it a member mentions the 3160 only does DOMESTIC ABS. Not sure if you have a need to diagnose Asian or European, but something to consider.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Very nice tool, although I just bought a new OTC Genisys EVO, so that I get a little better picture of what's going on. Totally different leagues really amd not absolutely necessary for the DIY mechanic.

Here's a question for you then.

I was looking at the OTC Nemisys and the OTC Genesys. What are the differences between the two? Did you look at the Nemisys before purchasing yours? The Nemisys is actually in my price range.

To be honest I really didnt look into the nemisys too much, although a great scan tool. The Genisys from what I have been told is faster and more powerful. It has asynchronous DataStream with 4 line graphs per screen which the nemisys does not. It has "code assist" feature which is another way to help the technician diagnose/track down the issue.

All in all after looking into it now(OTC site), the genisys is a step up and more of an upper level technician grade tool,while the nemisys is a step below. The nemisys can do alot including TPMS which is cool and it shows live data. The new EVO genisys (one I have) also has better connectivity options.

Where have you looked for OTC scan tools? Ebay has great prices.

Last edited:
Critic- Have you looked into a PC based system like the autoenginuity? They seem very capable if you have a laptop. autoenginuity.com

Critic- Have you looked into a PC based system like the autoenginuity? They seem very capable if you have a laptop. autoenginuity.com

Hmm I haven't thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. Let us know what you think. With the enhanced software for any given make, you get like 90% or better control. Its said to be similar to OEM scan tool functions!? I have talked with them at length as they are right here in Arizona (Mesa) although about 1 hr and 45 mins from where I live.

Manuel is the tech support guru and is very knowledgable and friendly. Give him a call and see for yourself. Im almost angry I bought the Genisys!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
How much did you pay for the Genisys? Now I'm kinda itching to buy one. :D

I paid 1,500 and some change on Ebay. It has the asian and domestic abilities. Did you check out the autoEnginuity yet? I have been almost second guessing my purchase as I have heard some lowly reviews of the genisys and others like it lately(snap on included.

Many OEMs are going away from hand helds and going with PC based scan tools ( Toyota did this in 2007 if I remember correctly. They use to use Vertronix. Just seems like the code reader is the jack of all trades, master of none unless you have an OEM one with enhanced options.

Have yet to really use the Genisys on any enhanced OEM fixes so I really cant judge it just yet. I have friends that love them. And you know how internet opinions can be.

Critic-So you bight the bullet on the scan tool yet?

Not yet. I don't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

The $300 scan tools don't have enough capabilities to satisfy me. An OTC Genisys or Nemisys is something that I'd like to purchase. However, it's hard to justify a $1500 purchase that will probably be used once in the next 18 months.

I hear ya, almost have to be a fulltime tech to justify a capable scan tool. The 300 dollar units are worthless beyond generic OBD-II DTC's. I think I might get the auto enginuity to compliment the genisys. Most of the work I do on the side is diagnostic based so I use the scan tool quite a bit.

I purchased an Innova 3130 recently to replace an older model I'd lost somewhere along the way. Nice little tool for quick diags along with displaying live SAE data which can also be custom configured to just display exactly what you need. Does generic and OEM specific codes along with specific tests such as Ford's KOEO and others. Also can datalog live data for short periods which can be reviewed on a PC. Just like the 3160 model sans ABS stuff but can be upgraded later if needed. I don't think a person needs to be a full time tech at all to justify one of these things. I'd say any serious car enthusiast or DIY EFI tuner would benefit from having one. For only $135 shipped it's really a good deal.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
I purchased an Innova 3130 recently to replace an older model I'd lost somewhere along the way. Nice little tool for quick diags along with displaying live SAE data which can also be custom configured to just display exactly what you need. Does generic and OEM specific codes along with specific tests such as Ford's KOEO and others. Also can datalog live data for short periods which can be reviewed on a PC. Just like the 3160 model sans ABS stuff but can be upgraded later if needed. I don't think a person needs to be a full time tech at all to justify one of these things. I'd say any serious car enthusiast or DIY EFI tuner would benefit from having one. For only $135 shipped it's really a good deal.

Is this your first scanner? Have you used any other scanners? How long does it take to establish connection with the car? How is the user interface? Is it quick enough or you feel it lags?

Thanks,
- Vikas

I had an Innova 3100 for several years before I lost it. It was very basic OBD2 and you had to use the manual to look up code definitions. The 3130 displays all info on the screen so no need to look up anything else. Connection time seems dependent on the vehicle. On older ODB2 vehicles is takes a few seconds but on later ones the connection time is almost instant. User interface is good as there are only a few keys to press to go between menus. Only part I could say it lags is in the live data display function. It updates about once a second and if you are scrolling through the information you have to wait a second for new info to come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back