Innova 3160, Autoenginuity, or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously considering a scan tool and want one able to read ABS codes as well. Vehicles for immediate use are 2001 Regal, 2007 Accord, and 2010 Cobalt. Other vehicles I'd likely use it on owned by family and close friends would be 2005 Jetta, and late model Charger and Dodge P/U. Wife said the Regal threw a code and ABS light came on this morning but reset after shutting it off and restarting. My procrastination on this subject is now coming to an end lol.

In the past I've always just counted light flashes or gone down to Autozone to read codes. I've never used a true scan tool before but figure it's probably a good thing to have around when I really need it. My first question is will a reasonably intelligent guy like me (yeah right
wink.gif
) who is not an auto tech by trade put to use a $200+ scan tool or is the learning curve fairly steep and it's a waste of money? So maybe just by a cheap code reader or the bluetooth dongle thingy and Torque on my android phone? I like the idea of being able to access the info. not only for diagnostic purposes but also to be a little proactive by observing trends as well, if that's possible?

Assuming a scan tool is a good purchase, which one? I read good things about the Innova 3160 found here. http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3160-Diagno...ds=innova+3160b

I also see this Innova 31603 which appears to be similar, other than the interface and a few bucks more. http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-31603-CarSc...ds=innova+31603

Then, I hear about Autoenginuity which is a program to install on a laptop for around $250? Is it worth it for me?

I'd like to be as future-proof as possible for any vehicles I may own down the road, since it'll likely see infrequent use and want to get my money's worth.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any and all replies.

I have a 3160 (not b) and it figured out an ABS issue on an 04 cavalier. Not directly, but enough codes and Dr. Google pointed at the LF wheel sensor. I like it well enough.

This thread has a couple Autel models I was considering. I ended up not buying any of them, but they still look interesting.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2791252/What%27s_your_opinion_of_Autel

I have a 3160b. I have not used it for ABS codes.

Can a normal guy use it? Sure. The interface is pretty straightforward. However, it can give you a fair bit of data. Whether or not you can understand the data, I don't know. But, the data may be useful to someone else if you retrieve it.

For example, a friend or random guy on the internet may be able to interpret your fuel trim information if you have it.

I have an Innova 3160b. It is a great tool, but I've only used it once since I bought an ELM327/Torque Pro, and that was to diagnose an ABS issue.

Originally Posted By: TMoto
I'm seriously considering a scan tool and want one able to read ABS codes as well. Vehicles for immediate use are 2001 Regal, 2007 Accord, and 2010 Cobalt. Other vehicles I'd likely use it on owned by family and close friends would be 2005 Jetta, and late model Charger and Dodge P/U. Wife said the Regal threw a code and ABS light came on this morning but reset after shutting it off and restarting. My procrastination on this subject is now coming to an end lol.

In the past I've always just counted light flashes or gone down to Autozone to read codes. I've never used a true scan tool before but figure it's probably a good thing to have around when I really need it. My first question is will a reasonably intelligent guy like me (yeah right
wink.gif
) who is not an auto tech by trade put to use a $200+ scan tool or is the learning curve fairly steep and it's a waste of money? So maybe just by a cheap code reader or the bluetooth dongle thingy and Torque on my android phone? I like the idea of being able to access the info. not only for diagnostic purposes but also to be a little proactive by observing trends as well, if that's possible?

Assuming a scan tool is a good purchase, which one? I read good things about the Innova 3160 found here. http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3160-Diagno...ds=innova+3160b

I also see this Innova 31603 which appears to be similar, other than the interface and a few bucks more. http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-31603-CarSc...ds=innova+31603

Then, I hear about Autoenginuity which is a program to install on a laptop for around $250? Is it worth it for me?

I'd like to be as future-proof as possible for any vehicles I may own down the road, since it'll likely see infrequent use and want to get my money's worth.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any and all replies.

The Autoenginuity one is more for semi-professionals, but I have one anyway. If you buy the manufacturer specific packages for it then its bi-directional.

I've looked into other brands as well but I find the opinions are that Innova has better support, so I'm leaning that way.

Browsing a little on the Autoenginuity web site, I see they don't support Windows 8.1, so unless I reinstall 8.0 on the laptop, that program is out.

So at this point I'm looking at going with the 3160b. I'm generally pretty good at digging around the interwebs in my research (I found this place by doing that) I'm just concerned I'll be able to access raw data without being able to interpret what it means. I still think a good scan tool is a good thing to have in the tool chest though. I've just been putting it off.

I'm still wondering what the real difference is between the 3160b and the 31603 is. The latter seems to be marketed as a pro version.

Thanks again for your input.

Can you explain your concern about the "raw data"? Or you talking about the live data or the mode $06 data?

Also you really should be making the up front decision whether you want a standalone platform or something which requires a laptop to use. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and you need to make the judgement on it.

The bottom line is that scanner prices go up exponentially when you want incrementally extra functionality. You can decide on your sweet spot by taking in to account price vs functionality. Personally, I have come to realize that even if I were to buy $1500 scanner (aka DS708) it still will not have all the criteria of a perfect scanner.

Hi Vikas, thanks for the reply.

I'm probably referring to live data but don't really know since I've never owned a scan tool before. I watched a youtube video of a demo of the 3160 and saw live data and the question that came to my mind was, how do I know what it "should" be? What resources are available, paid or otherwise?

I like the idea of a hand-held tool and the budget I set was around $200 since that seems to be where I need to be for a good tool including ABS functinality. I'm not opposed to a laptop product though. I saw that Autoenginuity was around $250 and figured I'd consider it as well. However, if I need to pay for add-ons for each specific make, plus the Windows 8.1 issue, it could be a deal-breaker.

So, bottom line is that ~$200 seems to be the sweet spot. I could futz around with still going to AZ or counting the light flashes, but figured it was about time to get one to save time and take advantage of whatever other benefits there are of owning one for diagnostic plus preventative maintenance. If I had a problem that took a $1,500 scanner to fix my car, I'd just go to my indie mechanic that I deal with.

Last edited:
If your budget is $200, then go for that Innova but do make sure from their customer service if all your vehicles are actually covered for ABS and SRS. Don't just rely on the specification. Call or email and get the applicability to your specific vehicle list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back