Inline power steering filter.

Had one, it weeped from seam, then dripped from seam, and then it got removed and replaced with a hose coupler. No more leaks in subsequent years.

Reman'd steering gear it was put on, was sloppy piece of junk from day one, and slight tightening led to binding with wheels turned near full lock, so I backed off and lived with slop, unhappily.

But No MOre!.

Getting new re engineered steering Gear, paying top$$ but not willing to gamble on another remanfuctured/resealed sloppy POS.

ordered, en route. stone has been chiselled.

Considering throwing new IN line filter on now, to potentially remove grit from PS fluid/pump reservoir and lines, before I drain it and install new gear.
Pressure lines and return lines not old, all still in excellent condition ... Intend to reuse at this point.

Obviously going to use new PS fluid when installing new gear.

Think it is worth the one filter now, and another new one with new gear, or just put one inline when new gear is installed?
Or one new one now for a few dozen miles, then drain it and return it when I install new gear and new fluid?

6 of one half a dozen of the other?

~15$ per filter, that's equivalent of two Double Doubles animal style and some animal fries with $1.49 left over

WWYD?

Not worry about a filter at all. I’ve never had one on any of my vehicles. Also never had a steering gear or R&P failure that I could attribute to fluid contamination or that a filter would have prevented. Just my opinion.

I would not use worm geared clamps on the filter hoses. I would use constant-tension/circumferential clamps and chuck the others in the trash. See my post on this subject w/pic in another thread here:

PS - while that pic is not long after install, it's after 2k of driving and all of that in hot weather and either high-speed on highway, and hard driving, mountains, and a little off-road. Dry as a bone.

Egad men,

return to the return line, not store.

Existing reman sloppy gear said a filter had to be used for warranty.

Agree worm clamps can be problematic. But they don't weep on the coupler I used to replace the weeping filter.

And once again, I regret starting a thread, contributing to a thread on this forum.

Nevermind.

Egad men,

return to the return line, not store.

Existing reman sloppy gear said a filter had to be used for warranty.

Agree worm clamps can be problematic. But they don't weep on the coupler I used to replace the weeping filter.

And once again, I regret starting a thread, contributing to a thread on this forum.

Nevermind.

Alright, I misread your post, my apologies.

20201001_133858.jpg
20201001_133858.jpg20201001_133912.jpg

Thanks.

I'll likely filter the existing fluid to clean pump and pressure line of any possible grit, run it for several heat cycles, then use a new filter with new return hose on new gear.
IN the scheme of things 2 filters, cost nothing , compared to this gear, and I've got time.

I know this is over a year old, but how did this turn out and do you have any pictures of the final install of the PS filter assembly?

@97f150 On the 240 I had to replace the return line so I didn’t bother replacing it. Just drain & fills every 10k. The V70 was an easy install in the return line with reservoir drain and fills every 20k.

I’ve never had a issue in any of my cars with and with the filter. I think the regular drain and fills maybe the most important.

I know this is over a year old, but how did this turn out and do you have any pictures of the final install of the PS filter assembly?
I found an ignition coil mounting strap that held the new filter perfectly, and used dual and opposing Fuel injection hose clamps on it. The filter is now not just dangling on the return hose, but secured nicely. no pics sorry.

Unfortunately, I decided to reseal my existing Saginaw PS pump at that time.
I had forgotten it had been leaking years before, and that Lucas PS stop leak worked to stop it, and I wanted that out and the whole PS system clean with all new PS fluid.

When I opened the pump, I saw I was not the first person inside there. But it was real dirty inside.
I had issues with the PS pump bracket mounting bolts penetrating water jacket on my LA-318, and leaking coolant, despite generous amounts of permatex aircraft form a gasket.

After getting all buttoned up and not leaking coolant, Soon after, Driving cross country, about 1800 miles into it , pulling off I-10 getting gas, power steering assist was mostly gone.

Had Beggars surround me when refilling pump at gas station, overfilled it with Lucas.
Air in system, notchy assist, vaccuum bled, lucas PS stop leak effective, for a few months before slow dripping began.

More lucas PS stop leak, no effect.
Don't wanna deal with waterjacket penetrating pump bracket bolts, again.
Recently drove back across country, but no refilling required yet, slow drip from reservoir/ pulley seal.

Thinking putting a slight vaccuum on reservoir, clean exterior for proper adhesion, and use rtv in an attempt to stop the 2-3 drips that occur each day. Might work, might not. Have a pan under it to protect dad's driveway pavers, for now..

Back