Initial review - Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we've got north of a foot of snow with plenty of slush and other excitement on the roads and my wife has indicated to me (I'm out of the country) that they are performing extremely well. I'll update further when I'm home and have a chance to take it out in this new patch of inclement weather we've been having.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I've almost always used Blizzak's, many different models over the years with one set of performance winter Goodyear's. I currently have a set of Michelin Xi3's on my Cruze and do not really like them. Great on ice and hard packed snow. I think they are even okay in deep cold snow. It is the slush that you really need the right tread pattern and voids to cut through it. The Michelin's just don't work on slush or sloppy snow. I slide around, have trouble negotiating corners, etc. I'm getting Blizzak's next time. They do wear really well, I wish they would wear faster. I've got between 25-30k miles on them now and they don't look very worn but I haven't measured them.

Which blizzaks I am not nearly as fond of the ws80 in the messy slush as I was the ws70.. I guess the ws80 tread pattern is abit "busy" and while better on some surfaces its definitely worse on deep snot slush. The ws80 are a small amount more directionally stable as well.

ws80
bs_blizzakws80_pdptrd.jpg

ws70
bs_blizzak_ws70_pdptrd.jpg

So you might want to reconsider the blanket statement that blizzak are MUCH better than the new xice in slush.

My favorite deepsnow/slush tires were the continental Extreme winter contact which is now Discontinued.
Continental-ExtremeWinterContact_lg_super.jpg

The Continental WinterContact SI which replaced them has the same small void Ice tuned type design that is worse on slush.

The dunlop winter maxx at least has some tread voids but its definitely one step down from the class leading tires.

For comparison xice xi3
mi_xicexi3_pdptrd.jpg

Also for comparison the blizzak dmv2 that edvw is not so fond of
bs_blizzakdmv2_pdptrd.jpg

Its like they now design tires to be great in tests but worse in some real life common situations.
(at least our North American tire tests)

Wife came up to pick me up at the airport this evening. We got freezing rain and while the 401 was heavily salted and thus just wet, the 115 was an absolute disaster. Numerous cars in the ditch, somebody took out the entire guardrail crossing highway 28.

SO

I got plenty of time to drive these on ice, in snow, and in plenty of slush and slop!! edyvw, you paying attention?

They were fantastic in the slush, goop and wet snow. No tramlining/pulling, no hydroplaning, I was very impressed with the performance.

Got back in town and tried to push it through some turns to see how far it would slide. It digs in far better than the Jeep does with just a bit of push slide and then dig, whilst the Jeep will just continue to push. Since they are the same platform, the big difference here is just the tires.

REALLY impressed with these so far.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Wife came up to pick me up at the airport this evening. We got freezing rain and while the 401 was heavily salted and thus just wet, the 115 was an absolute disaster. Numerous cars in the ditch, somebody took out the entire guardrail crossing highway 28.

SO

I got plenty of time to drive these on ice, in snow, and in plenty of slush and slop!! edyvw, you paying attention?

They were fantastic in the slush, goop and wet snow. No tramlining/pulling, no hydroplaning, I was very impressed with the performance.

Got back in town and tried to push it through some turns to see how far it would slide. It digs in far better than the Jeep does with just a bit of push slide and then dig, whilst the Jeep will just continue to push. Since they are the same platform, the big difference here is just the tires.

REALLY impressed with these so far.

Yeah I am
smile.gif

I think I might pull trigger on those Xi2 next winter. Right now I am at 8/32 on DM-V2 and while they go thru deep snow like nuts, they are very strange tire on ice.
So Friday it was 70 degrees in Colorado Springs, at 05.30pm I entered home, 56 degrees. 09.00pm 40 degrees and rain! 10.15 snow an 8 degrees! Saturday night we get 6 inches on top of that rain that froze and temperature drop to -15f. All those temperature changes and snow within 12hrs. So DM-V2 still go thru snow like razor, but on ice it is very strange tire. It holds ice like nuts, and then without any warning just slides. So considering temperature changes Xi2 would be perfect for me here. Keep posting your results. I am more incline to listen subjective opinions on good winter tires since testing captures only part of story.
So I got home at 09.30pm from some Christmas party and display in BMW is showing -31c. Weather prognosis for middle of week is 15c!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I've almost always used Blizzak's, many different models over the years with one set of performance winter Goodyear's. I currently have a set of Michelin Xi3's on my Cruze and do not really like them. Great on ice and hard packed snow. I think they are even okay in deep cold snow. It is the slush that you really need the right tread pattern and voids to cut through it. The Michelin's just don't work on slush or sloppy snow. I slide around, have trouble negotiating corners, etc. I'm getting Blizzak's next time. They do wear really well, I wish they would wear faster. I've got between 25-30k miles on them now and they don't look very worn but I haven't measured them.

Which blizzaks I am not nearly as fond of the ws80 in the messy slush as I was the ws70.. I guess the ws80 tread pattern is abit "busy" and while better on some surfaces its definitely worse on deep snot slush. The ws80 are a small amount more directionally stable as well.

ws80
bs_blizzakws80_pdptrd.jpg

ws70
bs_blizzak_ws70_pdptrd.jpg

So you might want to reconsider the blanket statement that blizzak are MUCH better than the new xice in slush.

My favorite deepsnow/slush tires were the continental Extreme winter contact which is now Discontinued.
Continental-ExtremeWinterContact_lg_super.jpg

The Continental WinterContact SI which replaced them has the same small void Ice tuned type design that is worse on slush.

The dunlop winter maxx at least has some tread voids but its definitely one step down from the class leading tires.

For comparison xice xi3
mi_xicexi3_pdptrd.jpg

Also for comparison the blizzak dmv2 that edvw is not so fond of
bs_blizzakdmv2_pdptrd.jpg

Its like they now design tires to be great in tests but worse in some real life common situations.
(at least our North American tire tests)

I have Ws70 on wife's Tiguan. That MF will go thru anything like a razor!

…...My favorite deepsnow/slush tires were the continental Extreme winter contact which is now Discontinued………………….The Continental WinterContact SI which replaced them has the same small void Ice tuned type design that is worse on slush………..

Continental Tire made no secret about their reason for changing to a directional tread in the new SI, compared to the asymmetric tread of the previous generation EWC: a directional tread sells better in the North American winter marketplace than an asymmetric tread. And so Continental went directional for the SI, even thought in their testing an asymmetric tread was a better performer. However, for the Scandinavian and Russian markets, Continental has maintained an asymmetric tread, in the ContiVikingContact 6 studless tire

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
…...My favorite deepsnow/slush tires were the continental Extreme winter contact which is now Discontinued………………….The Continental WinterContact SI which replaced them has the same small void Ice tuned type design that is worse on slush………..

Continental Tire made no secret about their reason for changing to a directional tread in the new SI, compared to the asymmetric tread of the previous generation EWC: a directional tread sells better in the North American winter marketplace than an asymmetric tread. And so Continental went directional for the SI, even thought in their testing an asymmetric tread was a better performer. However, for the Scandinavian and Russian markets, Continental has maintained an asymmetric tread, in the ContiVikingContact 6 studless tire

Asymmetric tread has better pulling power going straight line. Directional tread is much better in curves.
On Interstates asymmetric would do better. Mountains with curves, directional!

The i3 is vastly superior to the i2. This is based upon my actual experience and published tire tests. Likely the longest lasting snow tire out there.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
The i3 is vastly superior to the i2. This is based upon my actual experience and published tire tests. Likely the longest lasting snow tire out there.

To be clear, this thread is about the Latitude X-Ice Xi2, not the X-ice Xi2, which is an entirely different tire. There is no Xi3 version of the Latitude.

Originally Posted By: rfeir

Xi2 and Xi3 are different tires with different compounds.
Latitude Xi2 has same compound as Xi3, but kept more aggressive design of Xi2, which is good, considering abysmal slush performance of Xi3 based on reviews and Swedish and Russian tests.

@OVERKILL - Have an update for us? We're looking at these for our Mazda CX-9 AWD.

How's the dry handling? Coming out of winter and heading into spring, when there's a still occasional snow storms so one might want to keep them on just in case.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
@OVERKILL - Have an update for us? We're looking at these for our Mazda CX-9 AWD.

How's the dry handling? Coming out of winter and heading into spring, when there's a still occasional snow storms so one might want to keep them on just in case.

Thanks!

Well, we'll be heading into winter #2 with them here shortly, may update it again. If you are looking at the Latitude version, which I seem to have had to mention a few times in the thread, then I would recommend them for you. I definitely prefer them over the Khumo's I have on the Jeep.

Thanks!

Well, we'll be heading into winter #2 with them here shortly, may update it again. If you are looking at the Latitude version, which I seem to have had to mention a few times in the thread, then I would recommend them for you. I definitely prefer them over the Khumo's I have on the Jeep.

I just got a lightly used set of these for the CR-V as they were advertised as just X-ice, and I have to say looking at the tread pattern, my guess would be they aren't going to be good in deep snow and slush. Lots of sipes and holes in the soft tread blocks but not much space between them. Less than my ig52c's on the Focus even. It would be interesting to know if the land/sea ratios change alot with sizes? In 215/70R16 the gaps are pretty small.
Hopefully I get your results with them though, as the plan is to run them for a couple years.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Thanks!

I just got a lightly used set of these for the CR-V as they were advertised as just X-ice, and I have to say looking at the tread pattern, my guess would be they aren't going to be good in deep snow and slush. Lots of sipes and holes in the soft tread blocks but not much space between them. Less than my ig52c's on the Focus even. It would be interesting to know if the land/sea ratios change alot with sizes? In 215/70R16 the gaps are pretty small.
Hopefully I get your results with them though, as the plan is to run them for a couple years.

I'm interested in your experience. If you want to compare tread block size, they are presently sitting in the back yard, you are welcome to pop by and have a look.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Thanks!

I'm interested in your experience. If you want to compare tread block size, they are presently sitting in the back yard, you are welcome to pop by and have a look.

I don't have them on yet either, but I was looking at them again today and they do have quite large centre grooves compared to the ig52's which I guess must help make up for the relatively dense side block spacing.

Interesting review, thanks!

I wish I had known the latitude Xi2's were new and improved like the xi3, as it might have changed my tire selection.

I just pulled the trigger on Pirelli scorpion winters, which appears to be the Truck/Suv version or the Pirelli winter sottozero 3 "performance winter tire".

The Scorpion Winter doesn't advertise as a performance winter tire, but it appears to be a very similar tread pattern as the sottozero 3 with obvious differences in siping.

Anyone have experience with them? Reviews seem to point to them being great all around dry, wet, slush, snow, ice. But... I's sure they give up performance somewhere for the dry/wet performance.

sottozero 3
pi_win_sot03_pdptrd.jpg

Scorpion Winter - truck/SUV
pi_scorp_win_pdptrd.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I pulled trigger on Xi2 in May during Memorial Day sale. I am still skeptical about deep snow and slush based on tread, but it is OK, I will blame Overkill if they are not good
smile.gif

Now on serious note, I got them during sale for $550 for four tires 255/55 R18. DOT 04/17. I got special since I am good customer at this discount tire so manager always go beyond what they usually offer.
I will keep posted everyone and how they compare to Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 I had previous two winters. And trust me, they will go thru all kind of weather here in the Rockies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Well, I pulled trigger on Xi2 in May during Memorial Day sale. I am still skeptical about deep snow and slush based on tread, but it is OK, I will blame Overkill if they are not good
smile.gif

Now on serious note, I got them during sale for $550 for four tires 255/55 R18. DOT 04/17. I got special since I am good customer at this discount tire so manager always go beyond what they usually offer.
I will keep posted everyone and how they compare to Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 I had previous two winters. And trust me, they will go thru all kind of weather here in the Rockies.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
smile.gif

Looking forward to it!
01.gif

So i put Latitude Xi2 on the BMW.
So far one thing is for sure, they are much, much more responsive then Blizzak DM-V2.
I just went to pick up milk for a kid and it is like 20 degrees outside, snowing. No meaningful snow on the ground, not sure about ice, but I did not feel anything slippery.
They are as quite as Premier LTX I just took off. Very light, and you cannot figure out it is winter tire at all. However, I am not buying winter tires to be quite and responsive in dry. But if Xi2 proves really good in snow and ice, it is added bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back