Inherited a 1996 Nissan Maxima - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I'd normally agree, but you've never owned a VG or VQ series Nissan, have you?

You'll learn to ignore that P0325

Now why is this? I had a 2001 Frontier with the VG33ER (supercharged), and input from the knock sensor would cause the ECU to dump all boost (turning the engine into a total slug) for seemingly no reason, even when using high quality 93 octane gas. I eventually had to resort to bypassing the knock sensor with resistors, and it drove great for 100K+ miles that way. I would get about 8 mpg and horrible performance (felt like a 2 cylinder, not a six) when the knock sensor would intervene. I thought this was simply due to the supercharged engine's ECU being overly conservative, but after reading this, I'm not so sure.

Are all Nissan knock sensors [censored]? Is there additional performance to be had by getting this code cleared either with a new sensor or some bypass? Why is this code being set, and why is it considered 'normal'?

Failed knock sensors have a minimal if any affect at all on the Naturally aspirated VG, and VQ motors. It does however have a drastic affect on performance in the Supercharged Frontiers.

My dads knock sensor on his 01 S/C Frontier threw a code, and like you said power was drastically reduced. The dealer replaced it under warranty ,and it has been fine since. Over 260k currently on it.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I'd normally agree, but you've never owned a VG or VQ series Nissan, have you?

You'll learn to ignore that P0325

Now why is this? I had a 2001 Frontier with the VG33ER (supercharged), and input from the knock sensor would cause the ECU to dump all boost (turning the engine into a total slug) for seemingly no reason, even when using high quality 93 octane gas. I eventually had to resort to bypassing the knock sensor with resistors, and it drove great for 100K+ miles that way. I would get about 8 mpg and horrible performance (felt like a 2 cylinder, not a six) when the knock sensor would intervene. I thought this was simply due to the supercharged engine's ECU being overly conservative, but after reading this, I'm not so sure.

Are all Nissan knock sensors [censored]? Is there additional performance to be had by getting this code cleared either with a new sensor or some bypass? Why is this code being set, and why is it considered 'normal'?

Failed knock sensors have a minimal if any affect at all on the Naturally aspirated VG, and VQ motors. It does however have a drastic affect on performance in the Supercharged Frontiers.

My dads knock sensor on his 01 S/C Frontier threw a code, and like you said power was drastically reduced. The dealer replaced it under warranty ,and it has been fine since. Over 260k currently on it.

This.

#1 statement on the Villager/Quest (NA VG30/33E) is "No, your knock sensor isn't the reason it's running so badly"

Now if your in there doing other things and it tests bad, by all means replace the sensor, bolt, and little harness that feeds it.

SC engine's on the other hand go into Can't even limp home mode without one, so the resistor mod is a popular option.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Nissan built some of its best cars when they were a financial mess. That generation Maxima is probably better built than the Honda of that generation. The 1998 Update really helped the look of the car. Notice how newer cars are going back to the Maxima like tail light design? Anyway that 3.0V6 is a gem of an engine.

I have a 1998 Accord (4cyl/manual) and I had a 1998 Maxima auto. I've put a lot of miles on both. The Maxima was a great car, very reliable, good power for its light weight. The Accord is better built, with a better suspension. The 4-cyl manual Accord is good, but the auto transmissions were not reliable, especially matched to the V6. And the Max V6 is, IMO, a better motor than the Honda V6.

Problems with my Maxima (drove it from 60k miles to 210k): sticking fuel injector causing long, smoky starts - fixed with cleaning. Evap purge valve sticking causing trouble codes - replaced valve and fixed it. Knock sensor code (I ignored it). Interior rattles and the headrests came apart.

I have a 96 Maxima with over 313,000 miles. I have had to replace a few things, radiator, CV axle, CV boots, O2 sensors, etc. Its been very reliable and has never left me stranded. I change the oil at 4-5K with Supertech 5W30 dino.

Aftermarket coils will always throw a code. Wrecking yard or classifieds on MAXIMA.ORG for coils and MAFS. The VQ30 has 10:1 compression and a LOT of timing, when the knock sensor goes the ECU will take timing all the way back to base. You will lose power and economy. That said, in the presence of ANY emmisions DTC, the ECU will trigger a ghost KS code. another quirck of the 4th gen Max is that when the KS does legitimately go bad the ECU will set a code, but not illuminate the CEL.

Most of the Maxima Youtube videos are posted by maxima.org member PMHOR. If you are going to own a maxima I urge you to join or at least lurk maxima.org.

BTW, you can find a NISSAN shop manual PDF in my signature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back