Infinity QX80 P0011 - help/opinions requested

Short version - have a 2014 Infinity QX80 AWD 5.6L in the shop. It came for the known issues they have with the high pressure fuel pump lifter bucket worn thru and bad cam lobe. It also had P0011 and other timing codes. We replaced all chains/tensioners, cam lobe, lifter bucket, all the o-rings and even a new front timing cover due to damage from the lifter bucket and it's bore. All Nissan parts were used. We took our time and verified everything every step of the way - the chains are exactly timed. We also replaced the VVT solonoids as all part of the job. Starts up and we get....dang it....P0011 and a P0300. Studying AllData and ProDemand they each have verified fixes of: vvt solenoid, Cam sensor, crank sensor and chains. Well we know the chains are new so I, in a rare act, just fire the parts cannon and replaced the Bank 1 VVT solenoid and crank and cam sensors - cheap enough to do anyhow. BUT - STILL P0011 and P0300. Oddly enough P0011 is the bank 1 (P0021 would be Bank 2) but misfire counter shows cyl 2,4,6,8 which is bank 2 the right side. So either I have the bank 1 and 2 reversed or something else is wrong. I am diagnosing with BANK 1 as the driver side left bank and that coincides with what the service data says - but alldata and Prodemand have been wrong before.

Any tips on this P0011? We do darn good work and many times fix what other people/shops can't but this time it's my turn in the barrel 🤣🤣

Did you replace cam phasers?

Is bank one the cylinder head that is further forward?

I wonder if you can double check which side is misfiring based on O2 sensor scan data.

I have been afraid of the phasers as we ALWAYS do them during timing chains however the Infinity dealership didn't have them in stock and told me he has never sold any so they should be fine. Well, that is haunting me but odd thing is live data shows them working. Oh and yes Bank one is the one that sits out a little, it's chains come off before Bank 2 because it is over top of them.

GOOD POINTS!

It also had P0011 and other timing codes.
Which other codes? Did you initially have the misfire code for the even cylinders or is that something new? Did any codes not come back?

I think you have the bank and cylinder definitions right.

The VVT system uses inputs from the coolant and oil temperature sensors, so I'd check the readings for these on your scanner.

Check the output from the ECU at the solenoids. There should be a pulsed square wave signal that can be measured by a scope or AC voltmeter. If not, maybe bad wiring or bad ECU.

Check the input from the cam sensors at the ECU. You're probably looking for a 0-5 Vdc signal.

If all else fails, load up the parts cannon with a new ECU.

NissanQX80 Valve Timing.jpg

Which other codes? Did you initially have the misfire code for the even cylinders or is that something new? Did any codes not come back?

I think you have the bank and cylinder definitions right.

The VVT system uses inputs from the coolant and oil temperature sensors, so I'd check the readings for these on your scanner.

Check the output from the ECU at the solenoids. There should be a pulsed square wave signal that can be measured by a scope or AC voltmeter. If not, maybe bad wiring or bad ECU.

Check the input from the cam sensors at the ECU. You're probably looking for a 0-5 Vdc signal.

If all else fails, load up the parts cannon with a new ECU.

View attachment 214723
Excellent! I was reading some of that info elsewhere but your source and photo says A LOT more and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post this!

I will check all of this.

There was a Dave'e Auto Center channel video a month or so back where they had one of these newer GDI 5.6's torn down. My brain locked up at the sight of the top end on this engine. Some weird looking stuff all up in there.

I have just order new phasers. I think that is the issue. Looking at live data the left bank just hangs at 15 degrees while the right bank is fluctuating between -5 and 17......Just gonna have to tear it all back down again.

Back